Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 08:31 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,393,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Sometimes, companies will purposely "lose" money on things, just to~

A. Attract new/more customers, or

B. Reduce their tax liability, or

C. Have saturated their investment portfolio. Or made all the capital improvements they can for the fiscal year.
And sometimes companies just lose money because they have poor business plans. Other companies lose money because their founders take them public only to siphon off massive amounts of cash for their own personal enrichment at the expense of the patsy-stockholders. I would say that there's been quite a bit of the latter going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2022, 07:16 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,195,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Sometimes, companies will purposely "lose" money on things, just to~

A. Attract new/more customers, or

B. Reduce their tax liability, or

C. Have saturated their investment portfolio. Or made all the capital improvements they can for the fiscal year.

For A, CostCo uses the $4.99 rotisserie chicken, and $1.50 hotdog & soda, as "loss leaders" to get customers in the store. (And more precisely, the BACK of the store.) This means you have to pass all those other goodies that CostCo offers, just to get your chicken...Believe me, this WORKS too.

Carvana, is now going through, the "cleansing" that Zillow/Redfin are currently going through.

The one, single thing, these all have in common? The cost of money has skyrocketed....
of course.

Except Costco sells thousands of items, not 1.

Costco actually makes a profit, and uses its deductions wisely, versus having a real loss on something.

And yes, individuals & institutional investors often sell a stock at a loss in order to offset the gains of another sale.

None of those apply to the iBuyers.

The only possible one would be if they did a great job booking ancillary services - making say $5K per house on title insurance/closing services, or a cut of homeowners insurance - especially mortgage where the lenders cut their upfront fees for the "annuity" of interest rate spread.

Except the iBuyers have never become good (market share or profit) at those services either.

Old 11-15-2022, 01:22 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,970,243 times
They always had a poor business plan not built to last. Built on sand if you will. I agree with what you said but I don't think a retail model is applicable to a a real estate model in this intstance.

Old 11-15-2022, 10:42 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
No longer a REALTOR.
No longer looking for business.
Shuttered the LLC.

Sending clients to a good local guy.
I can take referral fees until June 30.

It's good.

Thanks, Brandon!
Congrats on retirement Mike!

Old 11-16-2022, 07:01 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Congrats on retirement Mike!

Thanks!

Old 11-17-2022, 08:42 AM

1,487 posts, read 789,695 times
Quote:
No longer a REALTOR.
Shuttered the LLC.

It's good.

Thanks, Brandon!
Congratulations!

Old 11-17-2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
Congratulations!

Thanks!

Old 11-22-2022, 09:50 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,209,687 times
Quote:
No longer a REALTOR.
Shuttered the LLC.

It's good.

Thanks, Brandon!
Mike, I somehow missed this. Man, I am proud of you for not hanging onto the license trying to stretch it out forever like I am currently doing. I haven't mustered up the courage to pull the plug with excuses like "I'll just do the ones I want" and "it pays so well I'd be crazy to give up the license". That sounds great in theory but in practice it's preventing me from doing some other things I'd rather be doing. Been saying next year for what feels like forever. You may have been exactly the inspiration I needed. Gonna miss you around here, buddy, and hope retirement is better than you expected. Cheers.

Old 11-22-2022, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Mike, I somehow missed this. Man, I am proud of you for not hanging onto the license trying to stretch it out forever like I am currently doing. I haven't mustered up the courage to pull the plug with excuses like "I'll just do the ones I want" and "it pays so well I'd be crazy to give up the license". That sounds great in theory but in practice it's preventing me from doing some other things I'd rather be doing. Been saying next year for what feels like forever. You may have been exactly the inspiration I needed. Gonna miss you around here, buddy, and hope retirement is better than you expected. Cheers.
Do it!

And, Thanks!

Old 11-22-2022, 11:35 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
Congrats Mike! Just seeing these posts and your new tagline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals