Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 02:58 PM

997 posts, read 710,496 times

Advertisements

I bought my home in 16 years ago. I found the listing myself and had a realtor take me to show my home. I have kept in touch with her via FB. About 4 years ago she began to send me listings in my neighborhood at my request. (its an automated process). I don't see that they have many listings in my area, and their area seems to be more in the expensive neighborhoods.

Recently I decided to sell my home. Two agents knocked on my door. They saw my house and then returned to give me their presentation. They offered several things that appealed to me, such as bilingual in Spanish, having a huge relocation business, and they live in and know my neighborhood. They work together. Their agency is one of the big 5 national realtors as is my other agent's realtor company.

My question is: Do I have an implied obligation to use the old realtor? I never said I was moving because I had meant to stay here. The home was paid off 9 years ago. We have not actually spoken in at least 10 years, and she has never been to my house after I bought it. Should I notify her?

Last edited by BabyJuly; 04-18-2023 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: correct spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2023, 03:33 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times
You do not have an "implied" obligation to use the same realtor unless you have requested their assistance for another transaction. Most realtors try to maintain their relationship with their former clients after the closing in hopes of generating new revenue later. Noting too unusual. You could notify her that you don't need her assistance if you wish and there is nothing wrong with that.

Old 04-18-2023, 03:35 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
You don't have to choose any of these agents. No problem. Good luck.

Old 04-18-2023, 06:47 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Ordinarily, if you like the original agent, and she did good work for you before, I would recommend going back to her again. We try to maintain those relationships in the hope of getting your business again in the future, or a referral. She's done that work to keep in touch all these years, versus the other team that just knocked on your door.

But if you like these other agents better, then do that. Use who you like best.

Old 04-19-2023, 06:19 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
You don't have to choose any of these agents. No problema. Buena suerte.

Old 04-20-2023, 07:45 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Pick the agent you think will do the best job for you . . . period. It doesn't matter who you knew first or who gave you a pie at Thanksgiving the last 8 years or who says they have a buyer that will buy your house. Just pick the agent who will get you the most amount of money in the shortest amount of time needed to achieve that price assuming that's your goal which it seems to be for 95% of homesellers.

Old 04-20-2023, 10:30 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Pick the agent you think will do the best job for you . . . period. It doesn't matter who you knew first or who gave you a pie at Thanksgiving the last 8 years or who says they have a buyer that will buy your house. Just pick the agent who will get you the most amount of money in the shortest amount of time needed to achieve that price assuming that's your goal which it seems to be for 95% of homesellers.
I might be susceptible to an agent who brought pie.
What can I say? I am a weak and flawed person.

Old 04-20-2023, 10:48 AM

997 posts, read 710,496 times
Thanks Everybody who took the time to respond!
I called my old agent yesterday and was glad I did. She is coming over today to look at my property. She said she would have been crushed if I didn't call her about this.
I will call the first agents as soon as possible to let them know what I decide. I was up front with them about being in touch with my old agent and told them that I would be contacting her.

Old 04-20-2023, 01:51 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I might be susceptible to an agent who brought pie.
What can I say? I am a weak and flawed person.
I thought cookies were your thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
Thanks Everybody who took the time to respond!
I called my old agent yesterday and was glad I did. She is coming over today to look at my property. She said she would have been crushed if I didn't call her about this.
I will call the first agents as soon as possible to let them know what I decide. I was up front with them about being in touch with my old agent and told them that I would be contacting her.
This is an important decision. Do what you feel is in your own best interests and don't worry too much about if an agent will be upset if you don't hire them. Honesty and transparency goes a long way in preventing hurt feelings.

Old 04-20-2023, 01:55 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
If an agent has done a good job for me in the past, they will get first crack with my business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals