U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 11:23 PM

26 posts, read 103,272 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how it is everywhere else.

Here in New Jersey, at least around the Bergen County area, usually the tenant pays the agent a commission equal to 1 month's rent. In New York City, it equals 10% of the year's rent.

I've seen many many clients who came from other parts of the country who are appalled when i tell them that the tenant has to pay.

How is it everywhere else???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 06:10 AM

15,704 posts, read 21,088,727 times
In Florida it is the Landlord, at least if the Landlord uses a company, in my case...I never use a company and get it rented out very quick with the best tenants any one wants to have. So in my case it is porven I don't need a realtor helping me. Many relators told that I would not rent it out myself, since the realtors had the right sources....funny, they use the same internet sites as I use. It made me more creative and more anxious to proof them wrong.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:42 AM

998 posts, read 3,485,200 times
The listing agency/owner pays the commission. Not the tenant here. (I don't handle rentals normally - but when I have shown the very few, it is usually a flat fee commission).

Old 05-31-2008, 07:32 AM

2,248 posts, read 5,907,099 times
That's so funny... I just was with a buyer yesterday from Queens who is going to rent out the property. I explained just finding a tenant vs property management and what it would cost her in either senario. She too was appalled. Being from NY also I knew right away what she was thinking. Here in my area the landlord pays the fee.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:02 AM

1,853 posts, read 3,829,966 times
Here, the landlord pays the commision. Of that commision, 50% goes to the listing side (landlord) and 50% goes to the brokerage who brings the tenant.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:08 AM

2,248 posts, read 5,907,099 times
Ah yes, I forgot that part. Here a rental could be worth only $50 to the agent that brings the tenant to a listing. It's a very lopsided proposition to say the least and something that homeowners/tenants should be aware of. Be prepared to go from agency to agency if you are a tenant and be aware of how the agency you are listing with is passing on the commission, if at all.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:56 PM

6,175 posts, read 11,595,668 times
In CA it is customary for the landlord to pay any rental commissions.

After reading so many posts about the way real estate is transacted elsewhere in the country, I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad I practice in CA.

Old 05-31-2008, 05:07 PM

2,408 posts, read 7,436,891 times
As everyone else stated, it depends on the location. I know from experience that big metro areas like New York City and Boston, the [potential] tenant pays the broker. In other areas that I've lived in, the landlord pays the broker to lease-up the place.

Old 05-31-2008, 06:09 PM

18,705 posts, read 17,465,963 times
In our market, it's not worth our time to show tenants homes and most agents only handle sales. If I have someone ask I give them a list and tell them I will show them 2 homes after they've driven to see them. Or I give them the listing agents name & let him handle the lease.

The landlord usually pays the agent 25-50% of the 1st month.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:15 PM

142 posts, read 557,227 times
In my area in NY state, it can go either way. In most cases, the owner pays the commission (usually one month's rent), but some listings say "collect commission from tennant". I avoid those like the plague. I don't think the rental business is all that bad because rentals are so hard to find here and I know that in one year's time, I may have a sale from a still grateful client.
Jo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals