Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 08:16 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,347,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I had an overseas closing and in the country I come from closing are always happening or some one has to be sick...but I never heard a closing didn't go through. A client has 2 or 3 weeks to get the mortgage in place and when the mortgage is approved the client will lose 75% (of the total sales price) if they don't go forward with the closing. Even in case of a job loose or dead in the family...People only get a mortgage when their salary allows it and there has to be a down payment. So different country different rules and not so stress ful as here, but on the other hand not so much chances to buy a lot and make a lot of money...pro's and cons, but our realtor which we worked with in many trans actions of the years, emailed us immediately since he didn't want to call because of the time difference. He only made 1.25% commision!!! He knows how to keep a client and did a lot of work. The commisions are much lower over there and yes, they do like to get more, but this is how it is and they give full service and we have no FSBO, since nobody will complain over 1.5 or 1.25% commision fees.

This last week there were many comments from Brandon Hoffman to me that I'm a realtor hater....., I can only react by saying that it his short coming and I understand where he is coming from....Maybe you are from a different generation than me and think you are the realtor that every one has to look up to and you can't do anything wrong. Well times has changed and clients are more educated and want to be treated with respect and not like we have to believe all what realtors are telling us and IMO the time that realtors took the clients by the hand ...are over (maybe a few still need it), most people use the internet and can learn fast.
Bentlebee! What state are you in LOL! You can be our realtor next round.............. I would hire you anyday !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 08:42 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Bentlebee! What state are you in LOL! You can be our realtor next round.............. I would hire you anyday !!
He would then become the person that he warns you about. You think he'd reduce his commission?

Old 06-06-2008, 08:56 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,993,847 times
Not sure where this commission reduction defensiveness started, but the OP related to poor service.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:11 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Not sure where this commission reduction defensiveness started, but the OP related to poor service.

Actually, it didn't. It didn't speak to the service provided by the agent up to the point of closing, but only to the agent failing to call the client AFTER closing.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:12 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,993,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Actually, it didn't.
I didn't mention before or after, so you are wrong.

Last edited by Austin-Willy; 06-06-2008 at 10:24 PM..

Old 06-06-2008, 10:16 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
A queston for the OP. Presuming this person did a reasonable job for you other than the gaffe on reporting the ending - what would you offer if someone asked for a RE Agent in the area? Recommend no one even though you know someone who did a reasonable job? Recommend this person anyway? Recommend someone you don't really know?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Old 06-07-2008, 04:53 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
Thanks!!

I'm not a realtor, but handle most of our real estate transaction my self. I learned a lot from all the mess during some of the closings and contracts that were not written as well as it could be, that caused most of the mess. So in my case if a realtor is involved it is very easy for the realtor since I have everything ready that has to be in the contract to protect my self and to get the least problems with a closing.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:06 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
He would then become the person that he warns you about. You think he'd reduce his commission?
Again I'm not a realtor!!! Not a lawyer either, but do have a very good lawyer.
I know what I would do if I was a realtor......treat my clients with respect, and don't expect them to be stupid...so many times I get calls from realtors (luckily not all) and most are telling me that I will never sell or rent out my home without a realtor...., I sold and rented it every time faster than people with a realtor sign in the yard...If a realtor think that one of the first sentences is "on your own without a realtor that is stupid and you will never sell or rent it out, we have the means to advertise" (funny, same websites as I use ).
I do pay to a buyers agent!, but if a client doesn't have a buyers agent the client will pay 3% less, so do the math. So to the people who say I hate realtors...no, but I have to check every step of the way since most time realtors are forgotten about the things they have to do when the contract is signed and the remember about it when the closing is....checking if the appraisel is done for their client...oeps "I will ask...", "is the mortgage approved?"...oeps "I will make a call and call you back", and than 1 or 2 days before the closing the come up that something wasn't done by the appraiser or the mortgage company...could be but if they had checked it we would have known and could have made the steps needed.
I had many conversations with frustrated clients and even had many conversations when the clients called me without their realtor knowing it so we could make the closing happen faster and easier...So what is that saying...
I'm in the Tampa area and maybe in the rest of the country it is completely different, maybe this is all because of the housing market booming and the many people who stepped in and called them self "realtor", could be but it is not to me to solve that issue, it is up the realtors to get sick of these things going on and having these people giving them a bad name. (I'm not talking about 2 realtors, I have met at least 30 or 40 realtors, and only 1 was different)

Old 06-07-2008, 05:39 AM

200 posts, read 561,456 times
No one has disagreed with Bentlebee re the basic precepts of professional thorough service. BUT.....the language in his posts continue to be broad brush, provacative, and hurtful. I do not know him and he does not know me but he is content to strike out w/ near violent language. It works.......look how many responses he gets from his provacation. Even the reasonable responses become twisted. Question is: "WHY ARE WE RESPONDING"?

Old 06-07-2008, 06:20 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Good point, OCNYISHOME. After a while, it becomes predictable. Perhaps we should only respond to points of fact. There's an old saying about trying to teach a pig to sing that might be appropriate here.

I didn't mention before or after, so you are wrong.

Austin-Willy, this is an example where the meaning of words is very important. (And since you're a real estate attorney, I should have read your original post at least three ways and perhaps asked what you meant by OP, my bad.) I read OP as meaning "original post" in the context of the post, and in the original post, the complaint was about something the agent did AFTER the deal was concluded and her contractual responsibilities to her client were accomplished. In that Original Post (I went back and read it again before posting last night to be sure), nothing was said regarding the performance of her contractual responsibilities and how well she performed them DURING the period leading up to and including closing, just that she didn't call afterwards to tell them how it went. (Presumably they received the funds for the sale of their home and would know that the closing went as expected, or they would have been on the phone to her asking why not and where was their money.)

This does not mean that I don't think that a phone call or email would have been a nice thing to do, or that I wouldn't do so myself if they didn't beat me to the punch (sometimes before I get back to the office, even), lest I upset the Original Poster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals