Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 03:14 PM

250 posts, read 989,525 times

Advertisements

I have honestly had clients tell me to only call them if something is wrong - again to the point of not making assumptions about what clients want. It sounds as though NJSocks is a reasonable person with normal expectations. That would have been very easy for the agent to determine by just asking a few simple questions about communication preferences. I've had other people tell me to call them and update them everyday even if I knew nothing more. Either way, ASK YOUR CLIENTS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 07:10 AM

5,273 posts, read 7,336,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah Maske View Post
i Have Honestly Had Clients Tell Me To Only Call Them If Something Is Wrong - Again To The Point Of Not Making Assumptions About What Clients Want. It Sounds As Though Njsocks Is A Reasonable Person With Normal Expectations. That Would Have Been Very Easy For The Agent To Determine By Just Asking A Few Simple Questions About Communication Preferences. I've Had Other People Tell Me To Call Them And Update Them Everyday Even If I Knew Nothing More. Either Way, Ask Your Clients!
Thank You Sarah!

Old 06-10-2008, 11:40 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,623,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Maske View Post
I have honestly had clients tell me to only call them if something is wrong - again to the point of not making assumptions about what clients want. It sounds as though NJSocks is a reasonable person with normal expectations. That would have been very easy for the agent to determine by just asking a few simple questions about communication preferences. I've had other people tell me to call them and update them everyday even if I knew nothing more. Either way, ASK YOUR CLIENTS!
I totally agree, but the only call IMO that all clients want is the call that it closed! I don't think anybody has to ask about that call.....

Old 06-10-2008, 06:41 PM

5,273 posts, read 7,336,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I totally agree, but the only call IMO that all clients want is the call that it closed! I don't think anybody has to ask about that call.....
AMEN Bentlee!

Old 06-11-2008, 05:18 AM

Maybe we should turn the OP writing the other way around. What if the realtor wasn't at the closing and was curious how it went...just to get his check....yes I know the realtor would call and call because he would be anxious to find out if he would get his commision and the deal was closed.....but what if the seller wouldn't call and didn't let him know...how would that make the realtors (only the one who are so negative towards the OP) feel...maybe that is the only way some realtors will get...place your self in the others shoes....and see how funny it is to be left hanging and not knowing anything...

Old 06-11-2008, 05:22 AM

I had a similar thing with a realtor who never called me to let me know if our written offer was excepted or not, I kept calling and calling, until I decided to call the seller myself.....so much for representing a seller and not having the decency to make that call to a potential buyer.....makes you not want to raise the offer in case the offer is denied....in my case the offer was taken by the mortgage company....yes I didn't have a realtor representing me, but do I have to call the sellers mortgage company to ask if they took my offer or not....well the seller did have to call the mortgage company to find out they had emailed and called the realtor many times to let her know....wow...great job....

Old 06-11-2008, 07:05 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,282,436 times
Maybe we should turn the OP writing the other way around. What if the realtor wasn't at the closing and was curious how it went...just to get his check....yes I know the realtor would call and call because he would be anxious to find out if he would get his commision and the deal was closed.....but what if the seller wouldn't call and didn't let him know

If I wanted to know if I was going to get my commission check (or when I was going to get it), and I wasn't at the closing, I'd call (or, more likely, email) the title company, not the seller. Because they're the ones handling the closing and writing the checks.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Maybe we should turn the OP writing the other way around. What if the realtor wasn't at the closing and was curious how it went...just to get his check....yes I know the realtor would call and call because he would be anxious to find out if he would get his commision and the deal was closed.....but what if the seller wouldn't call and didn't let him know

If I wanted to know if I was going to get my commission check (or when I was going to get it), and I wasn't at the closing, I'd call (or, more likely, email) the title company, not the seller. Because they're the ones handling the closing and writing the checks.
So would you say that the OP should have called the title comapny as well and still pay $ 14,000 in commision to a realtor who doesn't have the decency the make that one call. I'm not saying that one call doesn't say the seller shouldn't pay for the work but to me that realtor would not get any referral. It is from start till end that counts....just one easy (really the easiest and most fun phone call) call.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:43 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,282,436 times
Actually, I was answering your speculation about what a realtor would do in that specific situation. It would do me no good to call the seller and ask how the closing went (if I wasn't in attendance, which doesn't happen); it WOULD serve me to call the title company. I wouldn't expect the title company to call me (though they do sometimes call when the sale has funded to ask me whether I want to pick up the checks or have them delivered or mailed - the seller has already been paid by this point). Calling the title company, responsible for the closing, would serve me.

And, lest you missed the previous several times I've stated it, yes, the agent should have called the OP to let them know that the closing went off as planned.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:31 PM

40,933 posts, read 48,994,629 times
I had a double closing today with a client on the sale of his home and the purchase of another. I not only called him but delivered his equity check half way across town so he could get it in the bank.

I suspect most agents go the extra mile for their clients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals