Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 05:41 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Or you could just have the problem fixed. My guess is some silicone sealant would do the trick if electrical tape didn't.

3 electricians out...$90 each
1 attorney............$200/hr
1 home inspector...$300
1 tube of caulk......$3
fixing things by yourself...Priceless
How do you expect all those other people to make a living with an attitude like this ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 03:38 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Default Bigger issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Or you could just have the problem fixed. My guess is some silicone sealant would do the trick if electrical tape didn't.

3 electricians out...$90 each
1 attorney............$200/hr
1 home inspector...$300
1 tube of caulk......$3
fixing things by yourself...Priceless
I like the idea of fixing small problems in appropriate ways, makes good economic sense.

It sounds like the FIRST TIME the OP tried to get an electric dryer working it was a no-go. Maybe the seller previously had a gas dryer and never used the electric dryer connection and did not know that is was inoperative, so there was not an easy way for the house inspector to verify that the whole thing. Testing a 30A dryer outlet is much more involved than just pushing a $2.99 receptacle tester into the wall...

Without details of what seller had in place I cannot be sure this is that kind of problem -- regardless, water has been infiltrating the electrical service entrance. Potentially a life threatening / building destroying kind of thing. The electrical service entrance is supposed to be weather tight. All the conduit from the electric company feed to the panel are supposed to be done in such as way to make it nearly impossible for water to get in. Clearly that was not the case here. If somebody was inside the panel with electrical tape to patch things up they have probably all made it necessary to have the "house" side of ALL the electrical service verified. WHo know what other secretes they've buried. If there is evidence that some one has attempted to "mess with" the electrical service upstream of the electric company's meter or service drops the electric company ought to be called to give everything an OK too...

I guess that the electrician has already been paid to get things working, so the real question is not just about the immediate problem of the dryer that were discovered / remedied, or even the water that seems to ahve damaged the circuit for the dryer, but about inspecting and possibly fixing the whole panel and service entrance. If that has not been done I would get some estimates and weigh the hassle of "going after" the inspection company and/or seller vs expense of paying out of pocket. Either way I would recommend that you get qualified electricians ASAP.

For others: BE SURE the inspector takes a look inside the panel. Verify all electrical service ESPECIALLY for "unused" receptacles. Either as part of the "home inspection" or through a qualified electricians. Water and electricity are NOT supposed to mix and when they do VERY BAD things can happen!

Old 06-30-2008, 06:06 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,107,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Without details of what seller had in place I cannot be sure this is that kind of problem -- regardless, water has been infiltrating the electrical service entrance. Potentially a life threatening / building destroying kind of thing. The electrical service entrance is supposed to be weather tight. All the conduit from the electric company feed to the panel are supposed to be done in such as way to make it nearly impossible for water to get in.

For others: BE SURE the inspector takes a look inside the panel. Verify all electrical service ESPECIALLY for "unused" receptacles. Either as part of the "home inspection" or through a qualified electricians. Water and electricity are NOT supposed to mix and when they do VERY BAD things can happen!
I can verify this.
An old farmhouse in my previous area burned to a crisp one thunderously rainy morning --- water got into the electric box, shorted it out, and the whole thing was engulfed from top to bottom in less than an hour. It was a total loss.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:36 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,221,622 times
I also have never seen an inspector NOT remove the panel (4 screws - 60 seconds, perhaps?) unless it was painted shut (yes, that happens too). Check your Purchase and Sale Agreement, in Maine you have to go to mediation first before litigation, however you have a strong case with the seller failing to disclose a material defect about the home. On the other hand, you should have had an better inspector, so if I was the mediator, I'd have you split the difference - but get it fixed, electricity is not something to screw around with!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals