U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-08-2008, 09:35 PM

2 posts, read 36,544 times

Advertisements

I'm having my house appraised tomorrow (last minute). I have been out of town for two weeks so my house is a mess right now. I do not have the time to clean it up for the Appraiser who is arriving bright and early in the a.m. What will the Appraiser be looking for in my house? If the house is a mess (not filthy, just cluttered) will that make any difference on the appraisal?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 09:43 PM

18,709 posts, read 17,465,963 times
Don't be to concerned about normal clutter. That should not take away from the value of the home.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:18 AM

864 posts, read 2,995,129 times
The appraiser is only looking at the structure, not your housekeeping. They are very good at looking past any "stuff" and seeing the value of the home itself.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:11 AM

2,523 posts, read 4,218,893 times
We are not with Better Homes and Gardens so we don't care about a little clutter.

As pointed out by other posters, we are interested in the general condition of the house and as long as we can see the floors and walls etc, we are good to go.

It becomes a problem when there is so much clutter that we can't observe the condition of the house and when clutter creates pest issues.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:56 PM

21,725 posts, read 37,184,337 times
Default Always try to "declutter" as best your can...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
We are not with Better Homes and Gardens so we don't care about a little clutter.

As pointed out by other posters, we are interested in the general condition of the house and as long as we can see the floors and walls etc, we are good to go.

It becomes a problem when there is so much clutter that we can't observe the condition of the house and when clutter creates pest issues.
Most appraisers are pretty honest about making an effort to move into rooms and get the actual measurements, but I have seen them through up their hands when they can't get into room to even shoot a laser measurement.

Even boxed clutter that is easy to move is better than having it so that the poor appraiser is unable to set into a room...

Old 07-09-2008, 03:39 PM

150 posts, read 215,907 times
Appraisers look at size, location, structure, and condition. Like agents, they've seen plenty of messy homes. The others are right, as long as there isn't so much clutter that the appraiser can't do their job, you're fine.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 32,463 times
they look at windows, wall conditions, what kind of moldings, countertops, light fixtures like ceiling fans or above the bathroom mirror, size of rooms, what the floors are made of, bathrooms conditions, the roof and how old it is and the siding on your house and how old it is and what it is. also things like the heating system boiler their condition. size of yard and maybe driveway condition also.. all those things account into how much your house is worth to them.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 19,614 times
Would they also take into account unique features like outdoor BBQ or cabana structures?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals