Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 07:41 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,118 times

Advertisements

So, here's the deal. I am a licensed agent, although my license is currently inactive. I have no desire to enter the "general RE" market. Today I enthusiastically accepted an offer to be the Office Administrator for a local office! I LOVE the owner/broker (vaguely knew her previously) and it's an area that is growing by leaps and bounds. The office is new, under a dozen agents. I want to help this office grow and prosper.

My question is this. Other than being your own "personal assistant", what would really make you happy if your Office Admin person did? I already know all the "duh!" things (answer the phone/take messages efficiently, make sure all the files are correct, keep listing/selling packets full, keep the office running well). But are there any "ah ha!" moments that you can share? I want to be the type of OA that makes agents want to office out of OUR office ~ because the OA is fab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 07:16 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,855,259 times
Just do all of the above things.... personality timelieness......getting back to people really quick

congrats

Old 07-19-2008, 08:58 AM

27,212 posts, read 46,720,608 times
Call clients back as well when they call and the person takes your number and you never hear back is very frustrating. Good Luck and I think you are doing a great job by asking others to give their opinions.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:01 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,970,243 times
You do all of the "duh" things well and you'll be loved. That's about it. Stick to the task, don't try to overstep authority and you'll be fine.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:06 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
The admin worth their weight in gold (and we have one) is the one who has the back of their agents. They keep an eye on deadlines (such as a listing coming up for expiration) and, while it is the agent's responsibility to keep track of those, will send out a reminder if they know that a particular agent is snowed under and might miss it for that reason. It's a little thing, just part of keeping the files in order, really, and sending out an email, but it's invaluable to have that backup when you're working until 1 or 2 in the morning just trying to keep up.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:06 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,300,551 times
I would activate your license. With an active license you would be able to help your agents even more by being able to say things to clients that an unlicensed person couldn't. Obviously your broker would need to concur with that.

I try to motivate my OA to do more (like learning Excel better...I bought the training CD) and even study for the real estate exam (whether she takes it or not).

The best thing to do is to ask your broker and each agent individually how you can help them do better. You'll likely get a different answer from each of them.

I love your attitude! Go get 'em!

Old 07-19-2008, 01:21 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,301,691 times
Don't send email forwards that fill up the agent's inboxes.

Do send email reminders of office meetings or links to local news that directly impacts the real estate community.

Do ask if your agents prefer phone calls or text messages to alert them of faxes received, etc. My sister is an agent in NC and her office uses text messages to alert the agents of faxes, follow up on messages received, etc. I would love it if my OA would do that. I'm guessing that the OA sends the messages from the providers website?

Old 07-19-2008, 01:29 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
One thing that our admin does that is a lifesaver is, if a fax comes in that is time-sensitive (an offer, something pertaining to a contract, etc.), she scans it as a pdf and emails it directly to us. That way we don't have to stop by and pick it up until we're near the office; we can print it out at home if that's more convenient and time-efficient.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:02 PM

88 posts, read 424,034 times
Ours does open house packets for us. Bags with sign in sheets, CIS, balloons, home enhancement booklets, anything for the open house and puts them on our desk on Fri. for the weekend. He's a gem!

Old 07-22-2008, 07:23 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,118 times
THANX everyone for all the suggestions!!! I SOOOOOOOO appreciate it and have gotten some great ideas!! Today was my second day in training, getting the hang of it (our company has some great software!) and can't wait to "dive in" and make the place my own!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals