U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 09:42 PM

124 posts, read 224,892 times
Default Withdrawing listing contract

I agreed to sign a contract with a Realtor I had interviewed , and he sent another Realtor to do the contract signing, then said she would be working with me on the sale of my home. I then received a letter from the Managing Broker thanking me and how excited he was that I would be working with this new Realtor who I knew nothing about, and has no background found in Real Estate. I contacted them through certified mail to withdraw my contract 5 days after signing due to this misrepresentation and other ridiculous statements they made. The owner called me and said a bunch of people were waiting to see my place, and they weren't able to get ahold of me and they had spent a lot of money marketing my place. /// after five days,2 were week-end, and that a interested buyer was just waiting to see the place.. I told her I no longer wanted to work with her devious Realty company and she would not give me a definite answer, just said she would get back to me. What are my options now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 09:56 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,952,898 times
Not sure what state your in, but sounds like you have every reason to take your position. What happened to the original agent? No way they could spend that much money, that quick and depending on your contract, I would check with the local board of realtors,to see what they suggest.Some states the broke, will keep a listing, when an agent moves on, but most brokers, will realease the contract, especially when someone is most unhappy, and espcially if they mispresented something. Good luck and keep us informed.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:20 AM

I am in Va.They know they messed up and hopefully they will not stall and let it go so I can move on. Thanks for the comments. Will post results.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:25 AM

10,679 posts, read 16,960,411 times
Technically when you sign a real estate listing agreement, you are siging the agreement with the principal broker of the company. The agent you interviewed is just acting on behalf of the principal broker.

The principal broker could assign anyone they wanted to be your agent. But reality and good business practices dictate otherwise. Is the agent you interviewed gone from the company? There is quite a bit of "company hopping" happening over here as some brokerages downsize and others close.

Maybe the agent you liked is mentoring this new agent. I do find it odd that the agent you liked didn't tell you about this during the interview. That is just a weird situation.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:29 PM

17,254 posts, read 12,430,911 times
Some brokers have mentoring programs for new agents. They sometimes list them as the co-agent. This is also common in team agency.

That the original agent did not talk to you about this and get your buy in, is very strange, indeed.

Read your contract to determine how to terminate the listing. In my area, the contract can be terminated by either party in X days. X is an agreed upon time frame. And yeah, sometimes clients get fired too.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:32 PM

Default Reminds me

of someone I hired back when ( before real estate/another life) who sent in his ( I am not joking) twin brother to report for duty.

People do the darndest things.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:02 PM

F/U of contract withdrawal --I WISH they would have fired me :-) it got ugly and they were almost in tears and pointing the finger at each other and begging me to reconsider and they were making empty and ridiculous promises, which eventually would probably fall through as soon as I said ok. It was very stressful, Real Estate Board and local Realtor Assn. were very helpful. Moving on with a new Realtor--- highly recommended. Glad I didn't have to take legal steps.Wish me luck// Thanks all for advice.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:43 AM

10,679 posts, read 16,960,411 times
While it's unfortunate that you had to go through so much stress, I think you will be glad you did. Listing a home should not be that stressful. Can you imagine what it would be like dealing with them once an offer came in?

Good for you sticking to your guns! That situation was so strange.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:49 AM

Fabulous news.

I am curious about the bait and switch. Did the broker have an explanation why this happened?

Old 07-22-2008, 12:12 PM

17,178 posts, read 15,225,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coralsand2 View Post
F/U of contract withdrawal --I WISH they would have fired me :-) it got ugly and they were almost in tears and pointing the finger at each other and begging me to reconsider and they were making empty and ridiculous promises, which eventually would probably fall through as soon as I said ok. It was very stressful, Real Estate Board and local Realtor Assn. were very helpful. Moving on with a new Realtor--- highly recommended. Glad I didn't have to take legal steps.Wish me luck// Thanks all for advice.
Wow, they sound a little wacko. Luckily you didn't waste a lot of time on these two.

Hope you got a better agent this time around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals