Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2008, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,697 times

Advertisements

I feel like my realtor is trying to shoehorn me into a house that is not right for me and my family. the property isn't his listing, but he keeps telling me the negatives of all the other houses i am interested in, talking up the positives of the place i don't want and downplaying its negatives. i am a single mom with two kids and he is trying to tell me this place is perfect for us. it is very pretty but it's way too small for a family of three.

i am deciding between two houses that are bigger and in my price range (with a yard for the kids) but he keeps referring back to the smaller place. it has a creek/ravine at the bottom of the hill!! it's on a busy street. and i'm not comfortable with my kids there. does he have some side deal with that realtor or something? what gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 01:53 PM

472 posts, read 1,710,186 times
Who knows. Maybe he goes elk hunting with the seller. Maybe his girlfriend owns the house next door and he wants nice people to move in next to her. Could be anything, or nothing at all. Don't worry about it.

The only thing you need to do is say: "no, thank you." A small phrase, but powerful. Don't let anybody talk you into anything that's not right for you. Trust your instincts.

And if the agent doesn't get the message, move on.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:01 PM

714 posts, read 1,539,486 times
We'll he could you never know...

Doesn't really matter, It's your house, NOT his. If your not comfortable with it...then I say don't bother. He doesn't know your family, you do. I would tell him that you have eliminated the home and out of the others you have left to choose from you would like to see comps for those areas and determine which one would be best. If he gives you grief, I would just say...Yes..I understand it is a great deal, but I am not interested. If he continues I would call his broker, do not talk to the front desk, just ask for the broker or manager. Explain the situation and I am sure they will help. If they don't find out if you signed a buyer agreement, if you didn't go to a different agency. To better answer your question...he might be getting a bonus for selling that house....

I understand that sometimes I will have a different opinion than my buyers and sometimes its difficult not to voice our own opinions, BUT it's our job to serve you, not us.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:02 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,156,907 times
It's a simple as telling him you are not interested in the house, period. If he persists, tell him if he likes it so much he can buy it while you go work with another Realtor.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,697 times
bonus? so if he steers me to the house i don't want he gets paid? i thought a realtor was supposed to be working in my, the client's best interest? could there be a problem if i decide to make an offer on one of the other two houses?

Old 07-31-2008, 03:43 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Just curious and leaving no stone unturned, are all these homes in the same neighborhood and school district?

Old 07-31-2008, 04:13 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,156,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora222 View Post
bonus? so if he steers me to the house i don't want he gets paid? i thought a realtor was supposed to be working in my, the client's best interest? could there be a problem if i decide to make an offer on one of the other two houses?
If you don't buy the house you don't want that he is steering you to then he won't get paid. You are the one in control, not him.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:26 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Just ask him to show you what the co-op commission is, and if there is a bonus for the selling agent.
Then say, "I figured you must be making a haul, the way you are pressing me to buy a home I really don't want. Just trying to figure it out."

Heck, next year in NC, apparently, we will have to disclose bonuses and increased commissions to Buyers before showing the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals