Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2008, 05:32 PM

15 posts, read 57,184 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Let me preface this by saying... we are very good tenants. We've no intentions of damaging the home because of animosity.

We've been agreeable to viewings, and actually make an effort to make the duplex rental look nice prior to a viewing.

Here's my main, and truly, only concern(s).

1) our cats, who are indoor cats
2) privacy, reasonable notice

So far, we've been lucky enough to be home during viewings: our cats are safe.

I just am so worried about the times we're not home; what if our cats accidentally get out because of ignorant people?

Yes, we've left signage on doors and all.

Plus, after work, I just want to come home and relax, and there is frequently someone coming for a viewing. Same goes for a weekend, my other time to relax.

Our landlord will not work with us to pick particular days for viewings.

And what if he wants to do an open house?

I am just venting.

I just want to put out there the renter's perspective.

We pay good money each month for this space. We take good care of this space.

And it totally sucks to have our "safe haven" constantly intruded upon by strangers.

And it further sucks constantly worrying about the safety of our beloved pets.

So I know sellers out there are very eager to sell your properties. But just so you know, it really is lousy having strangers come in and out, and you have little say on that.

It feels like being violated every time someone comes in here.

We renters, we don't sign leases expecting owners to sell. We are just looking for a safe place to hang our hats.

So we continue to pay each month to live in a space where we're truly not relaxed.

I get so mad, because owners seem to want their cake and eat it too.

You get our money (rent), and then seem to have no regard for us (renters) when putting the property up on the market.

I can't wait for this lease to be up... because we are so leaving, and BUYING our first property.

Anything has GOT TO BE BETTER than renting.

And before someone out there (and there is always someone) goes on about "well, then stop renting," like renters deserve less desirable living conditions or are entitled to less, let me say that sometimes people have to rent before being able to buy.

It is what it is.

Anyhow, if anyone has feedback as to our rights, especially regarding possible open houses, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Signed,
A good and responsible tenant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 05:38 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
You have to look at your local landlord tenant laws. Out here, landlords are required to give 24 hour notice, so you would know the previous night that you had a showing the next evening.

Also, out here most of our multi-family properties are done with offers subject to interior viewing. What that means is that the buyer makes an offer first that is agreed upon by the seller, AND THEN they come inside and take a look.

I know with duplexes I have listed that I go in and take a virtual tour so that potential buyers get a good feel for it before they offer. That way the only intrusion is me one time, and then hopefully the buyer of the property.

What state are you in?

Old 09-29-2008, 05:42 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
In total agreement with Silverfall on this one.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:16 PM

15 posts, read 57,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
What state are you in?
Hi there,

Thanks for your feedback.

We are in CT.

This just has been an unpleasant, and unexpected, circumstance.

I feel like we just have no rights or choices.

The landlord is just doing what he wants.

When I suggested days for viewings, that would work better for our schedules, he said "that it was out of his hands when the agents set up viewings."

Thanks for any guidance to make this experience less painful.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:20 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,785 times
Can you have the agent call you to schedule app'ts? then you would have the heads up at least....

shelly

Old 09-30-2008, 09:48 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Section 47a-16 cover's the landlord's right to enter with " reasonable" notice for inspection. I would contact the appropriate state office to obtain an interpretation of "inspection".

CHAPTER 830* RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF LANDLORD AND TENANT (http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/pub/Chap830.htm#Sec47a-16.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals