U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 03:31 PM

31,680 posts, read 36,354,823 times

Advertisements

My broker is Ebby Halliday who turned 97 this year and still goes to the office everyday. She's been in business 63 years and one of the true pioneers. Anytime she's around it's a pleasure getting her to recall some of the things they've done over the years.

REALTOR® Magazine-Daily News-Ebby Halliday: 'Happy Days Are Here Again'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 08:33 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,038,254 times
I am so laughing reading this thread. Reading a car phone described is hillarious..I remember those 'big' boxes well, lol. And I remember...who ever had the listings was KING. You had exclusive listings or open listings. Open listings everyone had, exclusives only you had and either the buyer had to come to you directly or there could be a co-broke worked out. Our listings had to be typed (yes, typewriters!) or hand written on carbonized little listing sheets with a copy going in the main book for the office, then your own copy. Then came the mls and I remember we used to get new listings every week at first and then it became daily. At first someone from the office had to go and get them, then they got a delivery service to drop them off.
Wow. The memories, lol. Too funny!

Old 08-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 11 days ago)

10,877 posts, read 29,283,722 times
I have in this business here in Denver 20 years this month. We had dumb terminals for MLS printout - no computer, no fax machine, no cell phone. Our listing contracts were 2 pages, legal and buyer contracts were 4 legal pages.

Buyer Agency was starting to get some respect. But lots of brokerages paid a sub-agent 2.8% and Buyers agents 0.

In Colorado, sub agency and dual agency are dead. Long live Buyers Agents.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:54 PM

25,107 posts, read 35,097,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Buyer Agency was starting to get some respect. But lots of brokerages paid a sub-agent 2.8% and Buyers agents 0.

In Colorado, sub agency and dual agency are dead. Long live Buyers Agents.
I know two guys - former brokers, who actually had their licenses taken away and had to shut their doors - their crime? They refused to represent the seller and wanted to represent the buyer!

Boy have we come a long way

Old 08-03-2008, 07:59 PM

31,680 posts, read 36,354,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I know two guys - former brokers, who actually had their licenses taken away and had to shut their doors - their crime? They refused to represent the seller and wanted to represent the buyer!
What's funny is that today's newer agents have a hard time understanding the concept of sub agency. I'd bet there were a lot more misunderstanding on representation in those days.

Buyers agency makes so much more sense.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:29 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,808,991 times
Oh god I remember the days before the cell phones - when we actually got to carry around those shoe box size phones and before PAGERS!!!!!!!!!! I lost a listing one time because pagers had just come out and I didn't have one and she did! Then came the voice message pagers where you didn't just put in your number - you could leave a message!!!!! Then someone else would listen to it and type in the message to you. FUNNY story to go with that. I changed over to the pager that you could leave a real message ..and one of my customers called me and said I didn't return his calls!!!!!!!!!! So I went to his house and said ...I didn't get any calls from you! Then it dawned on me- I told him to go send me a page. He walked over to his phone and started hitting numbers -- WAIT!!! LISTEN TO THE MESSAGE- which said to LEAVE A MESSAGE etc. Humble pie that day. OH...

Yes, I remember typing in the listings on a TYPEWRITER. I remember the books to look through, I remember the "courtesy keys" or driving all over town to get a key. I remember all the things we DIDN'T have.

THANK GOD FOR PROGRESS!! and I'm still here!

Old 09-14-2008, 02:02 PM

2,124 posts, read 7,929,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
What's funny is that today's newer agents have a hard time understanding the concept of sub agency. I'd bet there were a lot more misunderstanding on representation in those days.

Buyers agency makes so much more sense.
that is funny!! My mom has been in the business since 1980. So I sorta grew up around it myself, before I decided to join her in a partnership. Anyway, she says sub-agency makes so much more senses, LOL!! She just learned that the seller is paying the commission and deserves to be represented.

Of course, we offer buyer agency and of course she is very good at it. I guess it is just what you learned the first time.

: )

shelly

Old 09-15-2008, 05:03 PM

718 posts, read 1,797,227 times
It was a better profession....you actually had a rapport with everyone..buyers sellers, lenders, attorneys, inspectors, title officers....and your colleagues in the business. Now, faster, but much more impersonal.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:34 PM

25,463 posts, read 12,194,636 times
Interesting thread. So many posts bringing back so many memories. Yes, I had a 'Bag Phone' as it was called here in Missouri. Big, black thing sat on the floor console! Way before cell phones. I have been around for many decades and happy to say that I use my computers, iMac and a MacBookPro every single day. I love gadgets and use them happily. Fax, scanner, printer, and copier (all in one) in my home. And, as others have posted, 'it' was more fun in the 'old days'. when I had my own company, my favorite thing was to close in our office. Loved the paper work.

And this was when we had Abstracts of Title. Now there was some great reading. We dealt mostly in farms and acreage then and the lengthy abstracts were quite interesting. and if there wre heirs that lived out of the area, what fun to get their signatures on the paper work. Prior to faxes and emails! Seems that most of us competitors got along better then also.

We had many books for our listings. Broken down by type: homes in town, homes on acreage, acreage, farms, etc. Appraisers used to come to our office for copies of recently sold properties. A lot more visitors back then. But I still like my computers, even tho' I am a senior citizen..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals