U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 05:43 PM

261 posts, read 858,183 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are now on the buyer side of the coin and we are trying real hard to be educated buyers. We are attending open houses in the towns that we are interested in (even if out of our price range), we still want to see what is available and have some thing to compare other houses to.

We are subscribers to the MLS Property Finder and find it quite helpful when searching for houses that we might be interested in. We've also gone to some of the neighborhoods where the houses are and if we find we like the area, we will search for houses in our price range.

Is this the kind of client that you would work with/for when a buyer approaches you for their help?

Opinions please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 06:25 PM

13,745 posts, read 31,570,576 times
I like reasonable people. Whether you look on your own or not doesn't matter to me as much as whether or not you are reasonable.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:27 PM

10,679 posts, read 28,500,687 times
I prefer informed buyers. Know what you want in a house, how much you are willing to spend, where you want the house to be...

Buyers who think I can invent the right house (larger) in their price range (lower) always drive me crazy.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:47 PM

1,177 posts, read 3,654,831 times
I prefer buyers who understand the importance of getting pre-approved for a loan. If they are informed and have already done some research that's great. If not, I still enjoy working with them and consider it part of my responsibility to help inform them. I also prefer buyers who will meet with me before we go looking at houses/communities so that we can discuss the buying process, agency relationships, etc. I also like buyers who communicate with me in a timely manner.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:33 PM

Thankyou! We are waiting to hear about our pre approval before we actually look at houses that really interest us. From there we'll talk with some agents in our area and find someone that we feel comfortable.

When we bought our first house 7 yrs ago, we were first time home owners and not educated about the ways of buying a house. I feel now that we are alot more educated about what kind of houses are available on the market as well as how to go about looking for a house. Our agent did all the work before and we looked for 6 months with her. We're hoping to be able to buy a house in January, so we are starting to look now. We know that in 5 months, the market could be flooded with more houses, or the ones that we really like could be gone, but right now, we can't buy, as we are locked into a lease until Feb 1.

Thankyou for your advise and thoughts!

Old 08-03-2008, 07:44 PM

1,177 posts, read 3,654,831 times
You may also want to check with your lender regarding how long the pre-approval is for since they generally have timeframes on them.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:50 PM

We were going to ask about that once we heard back from our lender. If we find a house and can move before the lease is up, then we have to pay our landlord 1 months rent so that he can rerent the house we are in. We're hoping to be able to get out without paying it, as we could use that for our new house. Thankyou.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:50 PM

2,249 posts, read 7,897,083 times
Quote:
Is this the kind of client that you would work with/for when a buyer approaches you for their help?
That right there shows me you are the kind of person I would like to team up with. You don't presume I work for you but consider that I would be working with you. That's a fantastic attitude.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:57 PM

8,851 posts, read 17,447,111 times
Any qualified, motivated client that is realistic is good for me. Realistic is a flexible word in many senses.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:04 PM

19,884 posts, read 36,400,379 times
I like buyers who realize that we need to work as a team, who don't think that they're going to hire me and they don't have to think about it again until closing. I like buyers who don't freak out at the paragraph in the buyer's rep agreement that says that I'll get paid and it might be by then, way at the end of a long line of people who are in line to pay me first. Buyers who have a list of their wants and needs and know the difference and are able to prioritize them.

Plus, buyers who like food, so I can introduce them to my favorite restaurants!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals