U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 05:56 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,957,841 times

Advertisements

Realtors,

From your experience, would you say that properties on a cul-de-sac are better positioned to sell than properties on a pipe stem leading down from a cul-de-sac?

My reasoning for the above to be true is based on the personal following impressions:
1. Pipe stems leading down from a cul-de-sac are more-often-than-not sloped downwards for drainage, and that to me lacks curb appeal....to have other homes towering over yours.
2. Homes on pipe stem are situated closer to each other.
3. Pipe stem maintenace can be a hassle if there's no HOA, with the house at the end of the pipe stem bearing the brunt if he/she has non-cooperative neighbors.
4. Pipe stem houses don't have the same enclosed feel (for kids to play) as houses on a cul-de-sac.
5. Pipe stem entry/exit access can be tight...with little room to complete a 180 degrees turn.

If you all agree with my thoughts, how much premium (as a %) would you put on a house on a cul-de-sac and a comparable house on a pipe stem leading down from the cul-de-sac. What have the impressions been from your buyers and sellers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 11:08 AM

31,737 posts, read 36,414,276 times
The big thing about cul-de-sac lots are they are usually much bigger, pie shaped toward the rear. Also there is a major reduction in traffic & a great place for the kids to play / ride bikes.

I've seen builders put a $8-25k premium on those lots depending on the cost of the subdivision. Most of our builder lots here in TX run $60-100k now, so I would think a 10-15% lot premium would be justified. These are just generalities and of course some high end areas will run higher.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:04 PM

45,581 posts, read 33,860,209 times
It all depends....

Sometimes cul-de-sacs front busy streets and the "pipe stem" lots are more private.

Builders usually charge a premium for a premium lot and that lot premium remains fairly constant on resale. It's the lot that's the premium, not the improvement.

A larger/ more improved/updated home on a "pipe stem" will often sell for more ( all-in) than a lesser home or one that is in need of some updating on a cul-de-sac.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:08 PM

Thanks for your replies. Probably, I wasn't clear. I would like you to compare homes on pipe stems leading down from the cul-de-sac with home on the cul-de-sac. Assume that the condition, lot size and floor plan is identical.

For example, view this property on a Google Map: 11100 TATTERSALL TRL, Oakton, VA 22124 - Google Maps You might need to move the map a little up and to the left till you see the red "A" marker representing the house.

You will see that this is a cul-de-sac, but there is a pipe stem leading down from the cul-de-sac to other homes. It's as if the cul-de-sac always existed, but some builder decided to build a paved road from the rear of the cul-de-sac to put in additional homes.

Can you please comment on this? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:01 PM

45,581 posts, read 33,860,209 times
The original question was " are homes in a CDS, better positioned to sell"? By this, I am assuming that you mean selling at a premium to those on the pipeline. Do I have this right?

Generally speaking, if all other homes were equal, it is likely that the one on the CDS, will command more money. This does not mean it will sell faster and when chasing a down market, time is money.

Most people buy what they can afford. If they can't afford a premium lot, they will buy on the pipeline or go elsewhere. Depending upon local market conditions, a house on the pipeline that sold 3 months ago may have sold for more than the same house on the CDS can command, right now.

If price and house are the same , the one on the CDS will probably sell before the one on the pipeline, as it is probably the better value. That's how properties are getting sold right now. It's about being the better value, not necessarily the cheapest game in town.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:44 PM

13,980 posts, read 32,760,231 times
We don't have these in Salem Oregon. We have flag lots off of CDS's, but nothing like this.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:50 PM

15,756 posts, read 33,341,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
Thanks for your replies. Probably, I wasn't clear. I would like you to compare homes on pipe stems leading down from the cul-de-sac with home on the cul-de-sac. Assume that the condition, lot size and floor plan is identical.

For example, view this property on a Google Map: 11100 TATTERSALL TRL, Oakton, VA 22124 - Google Maps You might need to move the map a little up and to the left till you see the red "A" marker representing the house.

You will see that this is a cul-de-sac, but there is a pipe stem leading down from the cul-de-sac to other homes. It's as if the cul-de-sac always existed, but some builder decided to build a paved road from the rear of the cul-de-sac to put in additional homes.

Can you please comment on this? Thanks in advance.

Your particular is so unusual as to have no rational answer.

Here is a real one.

8144 Mountain Forest CT, Las Vegas, NV 89129 - Google Maps

IN this case the cul de sac locations have a premium. (Or at least some of them do) In your case I don't think so...or very little if at all. When you get to large lots all the rules change.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Your particular is so unusual as to have no rational answer.
We actually have lots of such pipe stems leading down from cul-de-sacs in Northern Virginia aka the DC Metro Area.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:02 PM

15,756 posts, read 33,341,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
We actually have lots of such pipe stems leading down from cul-de-sacs in Northern Virginia aka the DC Metro Area.

The point is that, in such an expansive geometry...the issue is moot.

Look just above the pipe stem example I cited. Those are all cul-de-sac...with no stem. Lots this large don't benefit or lose from the differences.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:54 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,165,622 times
Okay, here is one:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...06866&t=h&z=17

Mine is in the cul de sac on the w/ the HUGE yard, lots of trees and the dark pool (pebbletec) and the red ballon is pointing. Believe it or not we are thinking about moving ONLY because we NEED more garage space (husband collects cars - he started w/ Hot Wheels then outgrew those to the real McCoy). Anyway, I'm pretty savy about the current market and there have been homes in our neighborhood that have sold rather quickly and at a premium. None of them were on a CDS though. Should I REALLY show a huge markup for this lot? The house is already near the top for the area. BTW, yes I threw it up on zillow (for ****s and grins ) just to see if it would get any interest before we make our decision and list or just build on. But REALLY should we? We don't NEED to sell though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals