U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:38 AM

51 posts, read 151,554 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be relocating to the Saratoga, NY area soon. We are working with a real estate agent but wanted to know if there are any other real estate agents in that area that know of any homes that will soon be on the market (due to relocation etc). We are looking for a 4 bedroom, a young friendly family neighborhood, up to $400,000. As of right now we are looking into the Dorothy Nolan School and the Schuylerville Elementary school. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 12:19 PM

1,177 posts, read 3,726,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellys3angels View Post
My family and I will be relocating to the Saratoga, NY area soon. We are working with a real estate agent but wanted to know if there are any other real estate agents in that area that know of any homes that will soon be on the market (due to relocation etc). We are looking for a 4 bedroom, a young friendly family neighborhood, up to $400,000. As of right now we are looking into the Dorothy Nolan School and the Schuylerville Elementary school. Thank you in advance.
If I was a real estate agent in Saratoga and read this post I would probably not respond to your request Shelly. You state that you "are working with a real estate agent". I'm not sure about NY, but in my state I could be brought up before the Board of Realtors for unprofessional conduct by interfering with an existing relationship between another agent and buyer. Additionally, the issue of client agent loyalty/commitment comes into play. Now if your current agent knows that you are shopping around for other agents then that might be a different story.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:25 PM

529 posts, read 2,134,507 times
Hmm check your rules, if the client party approaches you then I think the rules are different.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:28 PM

13,990 posts, read 32,787,719 times
I think procuring cause would be a larger problem than agency relationship issues.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:45 PM

51 posts, read 151,554 times
gbone: let me clarify my request. Any information I obtain will be forwarded directly to my realtor. I am NOT by-passing my realtor. The seller will pay closing commissions. I am just turning over every stone in the hope of finding a gem! I am sure my agent will be pleased if I find a home and I purchase it.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:52 PM

I didn't get the impression you were trying to bypass your agent. In real estate there is something called procuring cause, which I think is outdated but still exists. It has to do with WHO procures the buyer for a transaction. There are those agents who would feel that since they were "working" directly with you and gave you the information that they were the procuring cause for the sale and not your agent, hence your agent would be out of luck in getting paid.

Also, if an agent emailed you a potential listing that IS NOT active on the MLS, the seller's agent is not required to pay any type of compensation to the other agent. An offer of compensation is through the MLS, or other brokerage agreement.

You're trying to do the right thing, but the politics of real estate is going to muddy the waters for you.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:32 PM

1,380 posts, read 5,232,669 times
Default When I grow up I want to be like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I didn't get the impression you were trying to bypass your agent. In real estate there is something called procuring cause, which I think is outdated but still exists. It has to do with WHO procures the buyer for a transaction. There are those agents who would feel that since they were "working" directly with you and gave you the information that they were the procuring cause for the sale and not your agent, hence your agent would be out of luck in getting paid.

Also, if an agent emailed you a potential listing that IS NOT active on the MLS, the seller's agent is not required to pay any type of compensation to the other agent. An offer of compensation is through the MLS, or other brokerage agreement.

You're trying to do the right thing, but the politics of real estate is going to muddy the waters for you.
Silverfall,
I've been on cd about a month, I must say your posts impress the heck out of me. This post is just another example of your ability to see the whole picture and provide insightful and sometimes unique perspective.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
Silverfall,
I've been on cd about a month, I must say your posts impress the heck out of me. This post is just another example of your ability to see the whole picture and provide insightful and sometimes unique perspective.
I might have to call on you for back up when I get bashed. Right now MikeJ seems to always be there when I need him.

There are many fantastic agents here on CD. I rarely disagree with any of them and when I do it is minor points. Welcome to the gang.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:21 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,046,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post

I think you are mudding the waters further than they need be. It appears to me that the OP is requesting information from agents that would be listing agents, now or in the future. Agents can 'feel' all they want that they are procuring cause, that does not make it so. After passing the information to her own Realtor® who would then make a call to the listing or 'potential' listing agent for compensation, if the potential listing agent didn't want to pay a commission, she wouldn't see the listing, they would lose out and there is no issue of procuring cause. Just because you email someone a listing does NOT make you (the general you) procuring cause regardless of how you 'feel'.
Yes, buyers need to be aware of the potential of procuring cause issues but it really doesn't have anything to do with them unless they have signed a buyers contract and are responsible to their agent for a commission.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:31 PM

I agree that emailing a listing does not make for procuring cause, but I see it all the time out here. In fact I have some friends that are moving to another city in Oregon and they looked at several homes with the listing agents for the homes. They found an agent they liked and she told them that there would be procuring cause issues with the homes that were showed to them by the listing agent, since she didn't originally show them the homes.

To me it is pretty cut and dry, but it is not that way for many agents. I don't think the OP is going to get many agents to send her potential listings, which is what she wants, because of this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals