Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:44 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,345 times

Advertisements

Most of you people need an attitude adjustment. To say that its a personality conflict or some other priority is more important than the customer is a cop out. You are there and its your job to serve your client, if you are doing that correctly they will like you. Everyone likes to be served

period
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 02:08 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
Most of you people need an attitude adjustment. To say that its a personality conflict or some other priority is more important than the customer is a cop out. You are there and its your job to serve your client, if you are doing that correctly they will like you. Everyone likes to be served

period
Well, Mr. FSBO, it's not exactly our job to serve. It is a Realtors job to market, aid in negotiation, search for homes, and guide the transaction to closing, among other things. Servitude implies taking orders and that's not necessarily the case. Slavery went out of style some years ago. Realtors and clients need to work together as a team to have a smooth, successful transaction. I don't think that most of "us people" on this board are the ones being discussed. Many of the agents that post on this forum are very skilled and knowledgeable. I encourage you to point out some specific posts indicated that we need an "attitude adjustment". As a matter of fact, some of "us people" were giving you good and free advice on your FSBO thread trying to keep you out of legal trouble.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:40 PM

33 posts, read 119,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post

period
I prefer a buffet!

Old 08-21-2008, 04:24 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,880,345 times
Im finding out quickly the advise one gets around here aint worth much. If you think serving your clients and taking orders from customers is not your job then you are severley limiting your opportunities and hurting the customer and company for whcih you work. The customers always right

period

so put a smile on your face and fake it if you have to but acting like a know it all control freak or approcahing your work with a GAF attitude to a person who pays your wages is counter productive. I would fire you post haste. In fact I hired the legal services of a Lawyer instead, he's doing the transaction from the PA to close for alot cheaper than the arrogant realtors I talked with over the last couple of days. He gladly spent an hour on the phone with me yesterday before I agreed to retain his services, explained the entire process to me, answered all of my questions and is now in contact with the buyers broker. He was very pleasant, respected my wishes with regards to how I wanted to do things while at the same time advising me in a polite way so as to protect interests. The house was set, staged and and sold by me and frankly I didnt find that hard to do. Like the OP of this thread it was my hard work that marketed the property.

I worked in customer service for 15 years, theres no excuse for the complaints as described by the original poster. You cannot defend the lax unattentive manner in whcih that customer was treated. The realetor blew it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Well, Mr. FSBO, it's not exactly our job to serve. It is a Realtors job to market, aid in negotiation, search for homes, and guide the transaction to closing, among other things. Servitude implies taking orders and that's not necessarily the case. Slavery went out of style some years ago. Realtors and clients need to work together as a team to have a smooth, successful transaction. I don't think that most of "us people" on this board are the ones being discussed. Many of the agents that post on this forum are very skilled and knowledgeable. I encourage you to point out some specific posts indicated that we need an "attitude adjustment". As a matter of fact, some of "us people" were giving you good and free advice on your FSBO thread trying to keep you out of legal trouble.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:12 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
I am actually ranked #1 in customer in the SE Region of ERA Agents and #5 in the world of over 25,000 agents on customer satisfaction surveys. I say this not to brag, but so you understand I know a little bit about it too. Before real estate I worked a Sea Pines Resort on Hilton Head Island which is a 4 star resort.

In real estate, the customer is not always right. I am hired because of my knowledge and skill. I offer excellent customer service but I'll say it again: In real estate the customer is not always right. I could smile and nod and be a knuckledragger but my job is to guide them through the transaction the correct and legal way.

She should have mentioned the vacation but there are normally 2 sides to every story and I only know 1. I'm not going to rush to judge somebody. And you're right, there are some attitude problems around here...I'll leave it at that.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:09 PM

33 posts, read 119,511 times
Saying "The customer is always right" is an insane statement. Often, in customer service situations the customer is often wrong. Whether its someone in line in Wal-Mart, or whatever.

As it pertains to our particular field trying to abide by that stricture is a recipe for disaster. And because they are often sooooooooooo very wrong that you have to take them in hand and guide them onto the proper path or they will wind up screwing themselves over.

If you let them do whatever they want, willy nilly, you are doing your client a huge disservice. That's now why the hired you, whether they acknowledge that or not.

A HUGE part of this job is based around the customer/client being wrong or simply ignorant, and providing them with the guidance to make the proper decisions and set proper expectations.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:22 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,992,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brytanica1 View Post
A HUGE part of this job is based around the customer/client being wrong or simply ignorant, and providing them with the guidance to make the proper decisions and set proper expectations.
We could have a good long discussion about the ignorance of many participants in a typical residential real estate transaction. Agents are by no means excluded from that, and the arrogant attitude that is so commonly evident on this site makes their ignorance all the more dangerous -- because their entire livelihood is based on convincing others to take their advice about the transaction.

But the specific issues that the OP was complaining about do not fall into the category you are bringing up, relating to knowledge of the process, etc. They are simply attitude and courtesy issues. In which case, the customer is always right - if you want them to continue to be a customer.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:46 PM

410 posts, read 1,681,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-Willy View Post
Agents are by no means excluded from that, and the arrogant attitude that is so commonly evident on this site makes their ignorance all the more dangerous -- because their entire livelihood is based on convincing others to take their advice about the transaction.

Hammer...where's the love...Sunny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals