U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 08:58 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,422,247 times
Default Public records on real estate/FOIA question

I know that in most (all?) states, anyone can get a copy of any public record about a house (taxes, assessment information, building dept records, owners name, etc) simply by filling out a FOIA (Freedom Of Information Act) request form and paying a small fee.

But does it also work in reverse, in other words can we as the owners of the house find out who has gotten copies of our records under the FOIA? Does the owner have a right to see copies of any FOIA requests made, or find out who the requesters were?

I realize that this may differ by state but haven't been able to find an answer to this question on any of the Federal or State websites that deal with the FOIA. So I'm hoping that since real estate professionals probably access this sort of information routinely, someone might know the answer. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 09:36 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,948,885 times
In our county in NC it is on-line. No FOIA or fee. Anybody can look at them.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:58 AM

1,381 posts, read 3,584,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
In our county in NC it is on-line. No FOIA or fee. Anybody can look at them.
Just change NC to FL

Old 08-17-2008, 07:42 AM

1,723 posts, read 3,600,299 times
There is only one county in my area of VA that doesn't have them available for free on-line.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:59 AM

19,183 posts, read 13,621,948 times
It's online, by county, in Illinois, too.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:23 AM

1,416 posts, read 3,422,247 times
Things sure sound easier in those other states!! In our particular county in NY, both the property tax and building dept records are handled by the individual Townships; of the 10 townships we have, only 3 have records online, and those are only the very basic property tax records (in other words it will show you the owners name and the current taxes and any exemptions they may be getting, but that's it). In order to find out anything else, like whether the house has the required permit for a swimming pool for instance, you have to go to the Town Offices in person and fill out a form and pay a fee (or you can mail it in but that takes longer). So pretty much any solid information is only given out under the FOIA.

In our neighboring county the property tax records are handled by the County rather than the Towns, and those records are online but again it's very basic. It doesn't even show the square footage of a house, for instance. Anything to do with the building dept (permits, square footage, etc) is handled by one of the individual Townships and none of that is online, you have to go through the form-and-fee procedure to find out anything.

I guess in NY it's "anything to make a buck"!!

Old 08-17-2008, 08:44 AM

19,183 posts, read 13,621,948 times
I did not realize you were talking about building permits. That information is not available online, in my area. I suspect this is true in most areas.

Each county in my state has a different way of showing basic property information. Some of the more progressive counties report square footage as it is recorded, which does not mean it's accurate. Some report last sale and some do not.

There are many places in the U.S. that seal all property records and the public has no access to any information, fee or otherwise.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:10 AM

1,381 posts, read 3,584,422 times
In Charlotte County Florida I can go online and check on building permits, past and present. I can check on a contractors license (do they really have one). The property appraiser has very good information including links to public records so I can view recorded deeds. Sarasota is nearly as good but has a way to go to be as public friendly as Charlotte. I guess I'm spoiled.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:43 AM

10,850 posts, read 18,116,894 times
I can check recent permits online (I think since 2004) anything else I have to go and get the records at the permits office. No FOIA form to fill out here, but you do have to pay an $8.00 search fee for the permit history.

Otherwise everything else is online or easily accessed.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:53 PM

6,047 posts, read 11,145,009 times
In CA permit information is available as a public record. FOIA requests are for information that is not necessarily public, but has been collected by a government agency in the course of business.

My county has an excellent online resource, but won't allow names to be published online, yet I can walk into the assessors office and get the name information directly from their computer system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals