U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:42 PM

5 posts, read 17,999 times

Advertisements

Question for all, I have a house that I am attempting to sell as a FSBO in a gated community south of Venice, FL the president of the HOA is a Realtor and keeps ripping down the FSBO signs even the ones outside of the community within the county right of way. He ahs no interest in listing any property in the development and I highly doubt that anyone would use his services since he is so negative. How would you handle this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 09:49 PM

31,742 posts, read 36,414,276 times
In my area, all HOA's and local Cities have very tough sign ordanances. Have you checked to find out what yours are ?

Old 08-22-2008, 11:39 PM

Default Hoa

I checked with the county and have the county sign ordinance, temporary signs are allowed, thus this guy is just malicious and a total A**. Presently there are over 10 houses for sale in the development due to the actions of the HOA board and how irresponsible they are, rules are applied how they see fit and are not applied equally to all homeowners in the development. If your one of their drinking buddies you can do whatever you want, if not then your at their mercy. Its so bad they cannot get the necessary quorum to vote on any proposed changes to the bylaws, or needed community votes - over all most members of the development are feed up and apathetic with them. Fortunately for me, I bought early enough and am not upside down.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:25 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,888,233 times
I can't remember having seen any sign ordinances that allow signs in the ROW and the HOA probably has rules about the common area so I would think you could put one one your property but not out front of the development.

When the county ordinance mentions temporary the usually limit that to mean garage sale signs and the like. For sale signs are not usually considered temp. because of the time they are generally out.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:37 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,230,481 times
Just curious, are just FSBO signs being removed or are brokers signs being removed?

Old 08-23-2008, 08:38 AM

31,742 posts, read 36,414,276 times
In our area any sign put out on a public road is considered an abandoned sign & can be removed by anyone. It's like finding a Coke can on the side of the road.

If you have the time & energy, I guess you can pull up his signs also.

Old 08-23-2008, 06:19 PM

Default Hoa

To Fla Bob, only the FSBO signs, all the realtor signs are not removed. He is also removing political signs which is a Federal and State law violation. Also this are just Open House signs put up on the weekends, this drives traffic into the development for ALL including the houses listed by realtors. One would have hoped that as a realtor this idiot would have realized this!!

He has taken the stance " XXX County has agreed to have XXXX development maintain the right of way on XXXX Street. Therefore, the association will continue to remove signs put up in the right of way since the association is maintaining this area.Ē The Sarasota and Charlotte County sign ordinance allows temporary Open House signs, however the HOA has decided that they over rule the county.......I may just deed the house over to a group home and they can live with that, this will increase their valuation immensely, Iíll take the tax write off of several hundred thousand.
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Old 08-23-2008, 08:05 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,888,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla seller View Post
I may just deed the house over to a group home and they can live with that, this will increase their valuation immensely, Iíll take the tax write off of several hundred thousand.
I had a vacant lot at the end of a road that dead ended into someones 40 acre parcel with their house.

My sign would go missing almost as soon as it went up.

I let the owners of the 40 acres know I was going to give the lot to Habitat for Humanity if I couldn't sell it and they would have to deal with whoever Habitat put in the house.

My sign never went missing after that so you may have a good idea there.
Go have a talk with the association pres.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:50 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,789,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla seller View Post
To Fla Bob, only the FSBO signs, all the realtor signs are not removed. He is also removing political signs which is a Federal and State law violation. Also this are just Open House signs put up on the weekends, this drives traffic into the development for ALL including the houses listed by realtors. One would have hoped that as a realtor this idiot would have realized this!!
Ok I'm convinced. It's time for his signs to go - either follow the ordinance or allow nothing.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:37 AM

2,124 posts, read 7,934,229 times
yeah, I would have to start taking his signs. It is all or nothing. What an idiot he is.

shelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals