U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 11:11 AM

13,990 posts, read 32,787,719 times

Advertisements

Hey who wants to be successful??
I'm in it for the cool toys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 12:18 PM

33,458 posts, read 58,094,082 times
Here's a business plan for you:

Lead with Revenue. I.e., make it before you spend it.

There is a ton of other good stuff in the book.

Although, I think you MUST have a cell phone to make it go.
And a computer, or superb access to a computer, if you are using online applications.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:59 AM

807 posts, read 2,506,385 times
Reliable car and a cell phone (and a license) are the only physical things an agent absolutely has to have.

Got to be able to do business without the "gadgets". What if the power goes off at the office, are you quitting for the day and going home? Or are you conducting business anyway? I do fine without a laptop and a blackberry. They tend to break at the wrong times so you need to know what to do without them. They are luxuries that you can buy later when you are busier and have the money. And you need the time it may save.

There is plenty to learn when you are starting, needing to learn a bunch of new gadgets just adds to it, so that can wait. You need to learn the "business" first. You will be spending plenty to start so you are in the hole money wise. Buying a bunch of stuff just makes the hole harder to dig out of.

Oh, by the way I'm in my 30's so I not the old guy who doesn't like change.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:18 AM

250 posts, read 885,765 times
1. iPhone
2. iMac
3. Magellan Navigation (even though iPhone has navi, sometimes I use the iPhone to locate new construction addresses).
4. Color laser printer (cheaper than the charge for color copies at the office)
5. Home fax with scanning to computer capabilities (easier to email offers than fax and with a fax at home, I don't have to worry about waiting at the office for a PA to fax at 10PM).

I agree with the those who say it's about the effort, not the "stuff" - but I'll tell you, the "stuff" has certainly made me more proficient in my job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or