Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 08:42 AM

410 posts, read 1,681,761 times

Advertisements

Ok...here's a question...

When your actively working with a client and your phone rings do you answer it or let it go to your voicemail?

For those who aren't agents ...do you get annoyed when you can't reach an REA/Realtor the moment you call?

Remember...honesty is the best policy.

Sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 08:47 AM

27,212 posts, read 46,720,608 times
I don't get annoyed, since every one can be busy and not in a postition to take a call....but I do get annoyed if they don't return your call after leaving a voice mail, with the number clearly mentioned and not having a private number. I assume that every smart realtor will have caller id. and can listen to a clear spoken phone number...which I repeat 3 times to be sure they be able to get it....that is what is annoying to me.

This counts for who ever I call, not only realtors! I call every one back, that is why it is annoying to me.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:49 AM

316 posts, read 975,562 times
Whether or not I answer the phone when I am working with a client depends on the client. Many of my clients simply tell me to go ahead and answer the phone without me saying or doing anything. If I felt that the client I was with at the time would be annoyed by me answering the phone, I would not do it.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:53 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,055 times
I do not answer the phone when I am with a client. I explain to the client I am with "you are my most important client right now. However, when you call and I don't anwser right away, please remember that I may be with a client who deserves my undivided attention : )" they usually understand. I also encourage text messaging, letting them know that I can usually duck around a corner and answer them quickly if it is urgent.

the only exception to that rule is if we are expecting a call from another agent (to see a house, answer a question, etc) or waiting for a call from their mortg. person, etc.

Shelly

Old 09-08-2008, 09:06 AM

I forgot to add something that is even more annoying....when the voisce mail message is stating "you are very important to me, so please leave a message"....

and you will never hear back!

Old 09-08-2008, 09:09 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,105 times
As a customer, if the agent takes a call while "actively" working with me he is sending me a direct message that I am not important - the phone is more important. It would be no different than I'm in a face-to-face organization and the person I'm working with says "hey step aside I need to talk to the guy that's second in line - he's more important".

Old 09-08-2008, 09:24 AM

410 posts, read 1,681,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
... I do get annoyed if they don't return your call after leaving a voice mail..

This counts for who ever I call, not only realtors! I call every one back, that is why it is annoying to me.
bbee...I will agree with you about return calls... it's a pet-peave with me... just plain rude... in all industries.

Use it to your advantage...think of it as a way to weed out the unprofessionals.....who's next that want's my business...Sunny

Old 09-08-2008, 09:47 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
I look quickly to see the number, just in case it's, as said above, an agent returning a call concerning a property we're about to look at or looked at and have more questions about. If my clients are sufficiently interested in a house we see and want to see the seller's disclosure (assuming it's not in the house), say, or have other questions, I'll call and request that/ask the questions right away, just to speed things along for everybody. If it's not that, I'll let it go to voicemail. I make sure that the clients I'm with understand that I operate this way. Of course, I've had a couple of clients who had to answer several business calls while we were showing, as well, and in that case, we both pick up whenever the phone rings! Or just pull over for a 15 minute break so we can both return calls.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:47 AM

2,637 posts, read 7,426,122 times
I usually answer than phone and after I find out what they want (if it's an urgent matter or not), I either tell my client that this is important and I'll be back with them in a couple of minutes, or I tell the person on the other end 'I'm sorry, I'm with a client right. Things should be wrapped with them around X time. Would it be ok if I called you then?'

Old 09-08-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny57 View Post
bbee...I will agree with you about return calls... it's a pet-peave with me... just plain rude... in all industries.

Use it to your advantage...think of it as a way to weed out the unprofessionals.....who's next that want's my business...Sunny
I wish it would work that way....unfortunately you have to deal with the other agent and the plain rude once are still having listings....
But today I met a realtor who was on time (even early like we were ), knew a lot about the business, gave good advise...told a few little things that weren't true about the area, and about other communities (but since we know how it really is, we don't care to much).
He claimed he didn't get my voice mail that I left on his ext. (office phone) + the message that I left on the operators phone, but if it is as he stated (due to bad weather the machine isn't working well....we haven't had bad weather in weeks in this part of Florida...lucky us), I forgive him .

Where are you located Sunny?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals