Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 12:42 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,754,979 times

Advertisements

I think Jimj's lawn is fitting for the area. I grew up about 15 miles from where the house is, and big lawns are an impressive feature of the landscaping around there. I think his lawn and landscaping look great.

In all honesty, I can't see anything that his house should have but doesn't. He has a three car garage, appropriately nice interior, updated kitchen, and everything else looks good.

I think the big downside that I can see with the house is the price - it's expensive! I'm well aware that the Flathead Valley area is expensive, but Jimj's house and the surrounding ones sell for as much or more than the outlying areas around Seattle. So I think the effects of the housing market are being felt back in Montana - if Californians can't sell their home back in California, it makes it hard to buy one in Montana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scone View Post
It's still cheaper, because you aren't heating a huge volume of air, just surfaces down at the ground. Far less stratification, among other things, so you need less energy to feel "warm enough." You also have a switch in each room using this system, so you can turn down the heat in rooms you aren't using. And the tile holds the heat for quite some time, so it's not wasted, either. In any case, you can't pump "more" electricity into the system than it will take-- it's low voltage-- but you don't need a lot to create plenty of heat. It's more about thermal mass than anything else.
Not to digress, but I'd to comment on a few things that you've mentioned there. There are some inaccuracies that I'd like to correct.

The #1 factor in heating bills in the source of the heat rather than the delivery method. Jimj has natural gas to his property which will be a lot cheaper to use for heating than electric, regardless of delivery.

Air is very easy to heat and cool (it has a low specific energy). It's the furnishings, walls, floors, and ceilings that take a bunch of energy to heat and cool. The majority of these will be heated regardless of whether the heat comes from electric coils under the floor or registers.

The bigger issue for the OP is they generally don't recommend putting radiant heat under wood floors - they work much better under tile. While you can put them under wood floors, they recommend using laminated wood flooring rather than solid wood flooring. For his house, I'd recommend solid wood flooring over laminate wood flooring.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:26 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I am astounded by the prices where you live. Being from a lower cost of living are it never ceases to amaze me what people pay for housing elsewhere. I would have thought that Montana would be reasonable, but I guess not!!! Your house wouldn't even be $200,000 in my neck of the woods.

My advice would be to just lower the price a bit. Most people want to change things anyway when they buy a house. As for the Gazebo, I think I'd rather put in an "outdoor living area" adjacent to the house instead of build something that is out in the yard.

20yrsinBranson
Unfortunately the cost to build this house prohibits reducing the price not to mention it can't be built (here) for what I'm selling it for. I've spoken with a few builders I know as well as some other pro's and they all say it isn't the price, it's the lack of buyers in a whole price range.
As for the heat thing, we are heated with Cadet heaters now since it's cheaper to heat with electric than gas and we've got more control and if the increases they've been threatening happen it'll really be cheaper than gas.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:32 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
The tile floor, since you need new flooring anyway, would be a good investment IMO.

The rest- don't do it and expect any return on your spending. Do it if you plan to enjoy it for yourselves and don't mind if you don't get that money back.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Unfortunately the cost to build this house prohibits reducing the price not to mention it can't be built (here) for what I'm selling it for. I've spoken with a few builders I know as well as some other pro's and they all say it isn't the price, it's the lack of buyers in a whole price range.
The current market value of your house is not determined by it's replacement cost. The current market value is how much a willing buyer will pay a willing seller.

In your case, the replacement cost is higher than the current value. Price is determined by a combination of supply and demand. Supply is high right now and demand is low, so the market value happens to be less than the replacement cost. Might have something to do with builders and workers used to fat profit margins.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:15 AM

469 posts, read 1,485,074 times
You are not going to get the money you put into the gazebo back out. If this is a major concern for you don't do it. If you think you will get enough enjoyment out of it to spend the money great.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
The current market value of your house is not determined by it's replacement cost. The current market value is how much a willing buyer will pay a willing seller.

In your case, the replacement cost is higher than the current value. Price is determined by a combination of supply and demand. Supply is high right now and demand is low, so the market value happens to be less than the replacement cost. Might have something to do with builders and workers used to fat profit margins.
And this explains why I just pulled it from the market. I know the value is determined by willing and able buyers and I'm not willing to sell below replacement cost so we'll wait and do some improvements and tweaking of the property.
Gotta live somewhere right?

Old 09-17-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
The tile floor, since you need new flooring anyway, would be a good investment IMO.

The rest- don't do it and expect any return on your spending. Do it if you plan to enjoy it for yourselves and don't mind if you don't get that money back.
I would think if I did it inexpensive enough I would get some of it back, probably not all which I would chalk up to my enjoyment but half or so maybe.
The labor/machinery would all be done for $0 so it's all material cost only. I also have to think if it'll give me some "pop" like my neighbors.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:21 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,321,880 times
I guess the whole wood vs tile (esp natural stone) must be a regional thing. Here in sunny AZ, tile/stone wins hands down in popularity. I've even had folks relocating here from Minnesota and they nixed the hardwood floors as being too much maintenance (but then this was a lady who couldn't stand to see any imperfection in the flooring at all). Also folks with dogs aren't particularly fond of hardwood because it's easily scratched. Whatever you do with the flooring, just don't do laminate!

As far as the gazebo, I agree with Shelly that it could give your home that "wow" factor. Every home that's for sale needs something that makes it special or makes buyers perceive it as "more home for the money".

I also agree that anything you do at this point will help get you a contract but only if you keep the price ultra competitive. In a stagnant or downward trending market with lots of inventory, it's highly unlikely you can price higher than it was a year ago and still get it sold.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
I guess the whole wood vs tile (esp natural stone) must be a regional thing. Here in sunny AZ, tile/stone wins hands down in popularity. I've even had folks relocating here from Minnesota and they nixed the hardwood floors as being too much maintenance (but then this was a lady who couldn't stand to see any imperfection in the flooring at all). Also folks with dogs aren't particularly fond of hardwood because it's easily scratched. Whatever you do with the flooring, just don't do laminate!
It might have something to with the surroudings. Look out your window in Western Montana and you see acres and acres of trees. Look out your windows in Phoenix and (if you don't have neighbors) you see rocks and dirt.

So it makes sense that people in Montana and Washington put down wood and people in Arizona put down rocks (or stone-like).

The other big reason is temperature. Even in Prescott, it doesn't really get cold there. But in Montana it does and tile is not fun to walk on first thing in the morning. Wood feels a lot nicer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals