U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2008, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 6,244 times

Advertisements

Years ago, I sold homes to be secured by FHA loans. But,for years, FHA was overshadowed by conventional loans, with minimal requirements to get approved. Some of the homes sold had no appliances. I just received a request from an agent stating that the appraiser says that , "although the home is in good condition, it must be equipped with appliances", i.e. a stove and a dishwasher. This is a bank owned home and the appliances where removed. The water heater, electrical, heating and air conditioning are all in great condition. Does FHA require the home to have appliances before they lend on the property? If so, please provide me with the numbers or sections of the HUD/FHA handbook or where it is found.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 03:47 PM

6,958 posts, read 19,111,964 times
How about here;

HUDClips -> Minimum Property Standards for Housing, 1994 Edition (4910.1)

Old 09-20-2008, 07:38 PM

7,525 posts, read 14,871,784 times
The current one is better:

HUDClips -> Valuation Analysis for Single Family One- to Four- Unit Dwellings (4150.2)

Old 09-21-2008, 10:31 AM

I did not have the time to address this fully.

first of all, appliances, by their nature, are short lived items and are not necessary to the health and well being of the occupants.

FHA requirements are written so that issues that affect the health and well being and safety of the occupants is essential. They require evidence of systems working well. Things like plumbing, electrical, HVAC, ventilation, roof integrity, etc are issues. Safety issues such as banisters being too wide (a kid can fall through them, and if they are close enough, can hang himself), handrails, paint peeling (in houses with lead based paint potential), damage to the exterior of the house (roof, siding, soffit and eaves.....will allow weather to penetrate and cause damage to the house) are all issues.

In short, there does not have to be a stove or a dishwasher.

FWIW, I am on the FHA Roster http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/a...st.cfm#update1

Old 09-21-2008, 10:36 AM

2,740 posts, read 6,468,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I did not have the time to address this fully.

first of all, appliances, by their nature, are short lived items and are not necessary to the health and well being of the occupants.

That is true. But FHA does require a functional kitchen.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
That is true. But FHA does require a functional kitchen.
Of course it does. but a free standing stove is an easy replacement and is similar to a refrigerator. A dishwasher is still a luxury. if it is in place it needs to be workable, if the hole is there, it would be wise to install one (Habitat for Humanity, in this area sells them for $25). but lack of fridge or stove is not a deal killer.

Appliances are not listed on the VC sheet that I have always used.......

Old 09-21-2008, 11:24 AM

3,923 posts, read 10,291,180 times
mjordan, I am so glad you created this thread and I'm really grateful to read the responses from Schousse and Goodpasture.

With banks having tighter lending standards and borrowers having less discretionary income, FHA has become much more desireable...even including MIP.

I am the buyer's agent for an FHA borrower who's scheduled to close on October 15. The lender told him to have an inspection but she doesn't want to see the report. WTH? This one has me both confused and concerned. In years past, the FHA inspection and appraisal were done by the same person simultaneously. And any repairs noted were to be corrected prior to close.

I did have an FHA borrower that closed on a short sale in July and there was no fridge. It didn't create any problem with financing. Again, there was no FHA inspection.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:06 PM

If I am not mistaken the only "FHA Inspection" is for an FHA 203k loan. That is where an FHA consultant inspects for deficiencies, lists them to be corrected. As this is a rehab loan, the homeowner is given a decent/fair time period to get those deficiencies cured. As this frequently requires the use of outside contractors there are periodic progress payments/draws, made by FHA. Upon completion, the consultant verifies that all deficiencies are completed in a workmanlike manner and the final loan amount is funded.

All other inspections must be done by the trades or individuals who do that sort of inspection in your home. A Home Inspector, who will call for others....such as electrical, plumbing, etc, if required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals