U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Becoming a real estate agent in Orlando, Florida area, costs to get started, real estate classes, course requirements, pricing, real estate license, residual income, real estate commissions, online course offerings

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 01:02 PM

4 posts, read 19,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
Oh, that is so incorrect... 'the worst market'. There are plenty of opportunities in this market. We may have situations as far as being one of the worst with mortgages and stuff but that encourages people to purchase in the down market. My area is quite brisk and so is Orlando. They are vacation and second home desinations, so don't write us off.

I've PM'd the OP on how to find the costs for the tests and her MLS.
She does not need to carry E&O insurance...her broker will do that, but if she chooses to do so it's something like $150 per year. Again, her broker will carry it so she doesn't need to. She will need to pay for her supra (or whatever they use in her area) key but not pay for the lockboxes. Her broker will supply those. She obviously already has a computer and does not need a laptop in addition. I have one and don't use it.
She doesn't need to have virtual tour software that costs anything, she just needs a website that includes it and those can be very inexpensive, I've told her to let me know when she's ready. She doesn't need to pay for signs, just riders if she wants her name and phone number out there (which she should), her broker will supply the signs. Business cards she can get free at vistaprint. She's not going to be the broker, so she doesn't need a logo...they will give her their logo. She doesn't need a new smart phone, she needs a cell phone and the right plan. She can get an excellent fax/scanner/copier for home use (if she's going to work from home) for $125 and if she doesn't work from home she can use the one at the office. To receive faxes she can use one of the online fax options for what..$15 a month. Our contracts are sent as a link to a buyer, so that's done online through the FAR website. She has a husband that is supporting the family so she doesn't need 6 months living expenses.

Go forward, pass the test, figure about $1K to get you in a position to start marketing yourself effectively (from course to marketing) and then each sale you make pull a certain amount out of it to put back into yourself and slowly upgrade/expand. You'll be fine. And, again, once you have your license, PM me. I'll send you the website info.

Oh. And don't forget. You'll need to prepare to send in money to the IRS at the end of the year.....you'll be 1099 with no taxes taken out. Get a VERY good accountant that knows how to do taxes for the self employed.
Thank you so much for all you help PalmCoasting. I forgot to mention that I have a mutlifunction printer (Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier), so I don't have to worry about that either. I will let you know as soon as I get my license. I haven't started class yet. I have a career seminar to go to on Tuesday with a Broker in my area who is with a big company. Will let you know how it goes and when I plan on getting started.

Once again. Thank you so much for all of your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 04:59 PM

18 posts, read 14,505 times
In Orlando Florida you can take the required 63 hour course real estate course for $220. The application fee to the Department of Business and Professionial Regulation is $105. Their website is www.myfloridalicense.com You have to get your fingerprints done for $57. It costs $31 to take the Florida real estate exam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals