U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2008, 08:37 AM

523 posts, read 2,606,011 times

Advertisements

I am interested in obtaining a real estate broker license in NC as well as an appraiser's license. I don't necessarily plan on doing either as a career but I am very passionate about real estate and do invest in real estate on the side so I figure it wouldn't hurt to educate myself.

How many hours of classroom do I need for each? How long are the exams? How much do classes and exams cost? Does anyone have a recommendation on where to take classes in the Charlotte area?

Thanks!
Anu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 04:51 PM

24 posts, read 102,653 times
Hi, I recently completed my classes online! I took mine through recampus. If you search online for your state real estate commission's website, it will list different options for you to take your class online, if you choose to. I waited to be in real estate for a long time until I found a company that allows me the opportunity to make residual income. Good luck!

Old 09-24-2008, 09:17 PM

33,446 posts, read 58,043,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anu2 View Post
I am interested in obtaining a real estate broker license in NC as well as an appraiser's license. I don't necessarily plan on doing either as a career but I am very passionate about real estate and do invest in real estate on the side so I figure it wouldn't hurt to educate myself.

How many hours of classroom do I need for each? How long are the exams? How much do classes and exams cost? Does anyone have a recommendation on where to take classes in the Charlotte area?

Thanks!
Anu
Anu,

Here is the book from the NC REC.

Licensing Process Overview.

The list of approved schools.
I took prelicensing and broker's classes from J Y Monk, and they have classes in the Charlotte area.
I liked going to an idependent school, rather than to a real estate firm school, assuming that I would feel no recruitment pressure. I don't know if firms do that, but I didn't want it.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:51 AM

523 posts, read 2,606,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Anu,

Here is the book from the NC REC.

Licensing Process Overview.

The list of approved schools.
I took prelicensing and broker's classes from J Y Monk, and they have classes in the Charlotte area.
I liked going to an idependent school, rather than to a real estate firm school, assuming that I would feel no recruitment pressure. I don't know if firms do that, but I didn't want it.
Thanks for the links!

Old 09-25-2008, 08:30 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,217,139 times
I took my prelicensing at my local NC community college (Wayne County). It was two nights a week for four months. It only cost $65.00. It is not the most sucessful way to go (the community colleges have a terrible pass rate) but the cheapest and I did it after my day job. We had a beginning class of 25 and finished with 9. If you miss more than one class you are out. Out of the nine only two of us passed the final exam. With the low cost a lot of folks don't have much motivation to work hard. I did pass the state exam first time 9 months later (I procrastinated) I did take the one day cram course a couple weeks before my state exam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals