U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 12:26 PM

13 posts, read 32,044 times

Advertisements

So the other day I met with a realtor who mentioned the standard 6% commision. Which was fine then he mentioned if I bumped his commision up to 7%, we would get more activity on the house due to realtors wanting to show it more to make more money. what's your thoughts on this?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 12:54 PM

1,177 posts, read 3,653,796 times
In my opinion that is BS and I'd look for another Realtor.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:57 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,586,260 times
Most clients look for homes based on location, price and amenities. They could not care less how much commission is attached for their Realtor. The premise for the higher commission "lure" is that there are Realtors out there who would steer their clients to particular homes because they would earn a higher commission. Are there Realtors out there that would do it? Yes. They are absolute scum! I 'm resentful of the higher commission tactic because I don't want to be implicated if I end up showing the house.
If one of my sellers wants to add an incentive to make sure his/her house has an edge over the competition, I would recommend they add a buyer bonus, pay for staging, or lower the price.

Sandy

Old 10-05-2008, 01:18 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,279,515 times
In my area, 7% commission is the norm, 6% is considered "reduced" so it is really weird to me to hear of an agent starting at 6% and trying to get you to go up. Here we start at 7% and the sellers usually try to talk us down.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:45 PM

13,741 posts, read 31,556,293 times
I'm with gbone unless your home is a less expensive home (like under $100,000).

Old 10-05-2008, 02:11 PM

6,958 posts, read 18,532,188 times
Because I own the real estate company and don't have to split the commission with anyone, I usually list things at 6% but offer the selling agent 4% or 66% of the total commission. I can't say it's ever made a difference in activity in the transaction, but I'd like to think it does just a little bit.

On the flip side, I've never made an effort to show property that has an increased selling commission. I just closed on a property that offered $750 bonus to the selling agent. I didn't even know about it until the property went into escrow

Old 10-05-2008, 04:33 PM

10,677 posts, read 28,491,129 times
There is no such thing as "normal" or "standard" as far as real estate comissions go.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:29 AM

41,854 posts, read 31,715,364 times
I wonder if the OP's agent planned to offer a 4 % co-op to the buyer's broker. If so, the house probably would get more showings than one paying 3 %. More showings would not necessarily translate into an offer unless the home represented the best value in the market, based upon location, condition and price.

Agents who tout that a higher commission will get a property sold faster are trying to create the perception that agents can compel buyers to pull the trigger on the property that pays them more.

As an aside, the majority of full service Brokers in my area, charge 5%, down from 6% ten years ago.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:21 AM

25,341 posts, read 37,471,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator72 View Post
So the other day I met with a realtor who mentioned the standard 6% commision. Which was fine then he mentioned if I bumped his commision up to 7%, we would get more activity on the house due to realtors wanting to show it more to make more money. what's your thoughts on this?

Thanks
Run!!!! This person is only interested in money and probable won't even show your home if the other agent get's half of it...This is a person that needs to be weeded out as fast as possible. just my opinion, but in todays market many people have the same opinion!!!

Old 10-08-2008, 05:09 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,615,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator72 View Post

Thanks
There is a serious ethical question that is raised by this negotiation. Agents are supposed to be looking out for their clients, not maximize their commission. I would ask your agent why (s)he is trying to attract unethical agents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals