U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 06:17 AM

25,787 posts, read 39,007,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boocake View Post
Not sure how people are ever supposed to change their life when, after a conviction, they can't even get a job at Wal-Mart...not saying it's isn't their fault...but once it's done, it's done and almost impossible for some to ever have a decent life after a felony..
IMo Walmart is smart! Do you know how many things get stolen from Walmart? Do you want the prices to go up just because others take it for free?

So if you are not against a person convicted for theft working at Walmart and able to take more, than you probable don't mind that a sex offender works in a school (maybe you can come up with the reason that the child doesn't look like the child he committed the awful crime on)(I'm not talking about a 18 year old who had sex with his 16 year old girlfriend and just because the parents don't like him , he is branded for life as a sex offender)

People should know that if you commit a crime and get caught many things in life are excluded for you, maybe that will scare others off of doing the same!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 06:38 AM

1,380 posts, read 5,231,372 times
I agree with bentlebee, a person that has been convicted of theft multiple times should not be granted a license to sell real estate.

As a licensed real estate agent in the state of Florida, I'm given the key to peoples homes. I'm the one that is entrusted to validate the people I bring into someones home. I'm responsible to make sure that nothing leaves a home while I'm there and to make sure the home is secure when I leave.
I'm entrusted with funds. I'm ask for my honest advice.

While people make mistakes, learn from their mistakes, grow from their mistakes. Real estate is a position that does endanger the public when entrusted to someone convicted of theft. Providing license to the wrong people hurts the reputation of others.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:12 AM

45,606 posts, read 33,877,378 times
How does someone with three felony ( theft ???) convictions not do prison time?

Old 10-18-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
How does someone with three felony ( theft ???) convictions not do prison time?
By making a deal.....36 months probation instead of 15 month prison...all to be read in the public records.....

We all heard about illegal aliens and others who are caught for a crime and nothing really has been done and than later they kill an innocent person and there is an outcry from the public. Why nothing is done when they catch them...I have no clue, but is terrible and wrong and it can save a lot of things if the system is used as it should be.
But still I have to say that the system over here is way better than in Europe. (only convicted realtors are not able to pass the bar in Europe!)

Old 10-18-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBob View Post
I agree with bentlebee, a person that has been convicted of theft multiple times should not be granted a license to sell real estate.

As a licensed real estate agent in the state of Florida, I'm given the key to peoples homes. I'm the one that is entrusted to validate the people I bring into someones home. I'm responsible to make sure that nothing leaves a home while I'm there and to make sure the home is secure when I leave.
I'm entrusted with funds. I'm ask for my honest advice.

While people make mistakes, learn from their mistakes, grow from their mistakes. Real estate is a position that does endanger the public when entrusted to someone convicted of theft. Providing license to the wrong people hurts the reputation of others.

I'm so glad that you and Palmcoasting know how careful people need to be looked at...not only in the real estate business, but also in bank related issues, etc. If not it will ruin the credibility of the people working in that business and hurt them just because others mess up, which we have seen a lot of, lately.

If others speak up it can only help the business, also by making the courses longer and harder so people like me and others will really respect realtors because in that case we know they have for sure more knowledge even when they just start as a realtor...right now 64 hours is very bad for the business. For new buyers and seller to find out how long the realtor is in the business and how much knowledge they have, shouldn't be something we should look into. We should be able to rely on the courses that they have followed to become a realtor, and of course there will always be better onces than others. if this will change it willonly be for the good of the profession. JMO.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:43 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,152,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
People should know that if you commit a crime and get caught many things in life are excluded for you, maybe that will scare others off of doing the same!
Except our Constitution prohibits this, Bentlebee. You don't liisten very well, do you?

Old 10-19-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
Except our Constitution prohibits this, Bentlebee. You don't liisten very well, do you?
Explain?

Is it against the Constitution if people deny you a job because you are a convicted felon? Is it against the Constitution if neighbors don't want to interact with you because of your background? I don't think so and my kids school (and we as parents do the same) teaches the kids that if you hang out with losers you become a loser....and they want to be winners!

Old 10-19-2008, 09:33 AM

Amendent 5 of the United States Constitution Says (in part): "No person ... shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb."

Having a blanket policy of "we do not hire people who have a felony offense on their record" probably violates Amendent 5 and would open the company up to a lawsuit. If you look closely at employment applications they nearly always have the phrase "Note that a felony offense will not necessarily bar your from employment." Basically it means that the company would have to evaluate what the felony offense is and determine if the particular offense makes the person ineligible for employement.

The same logic applies to the state government issuing licenses. Some convicted child molesters probably wouldn't be unsuitable to be a licensed architect so denying them a license would be punishing the twice for the same offense.

Make sense?

Old 10-19-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
Amendent 5 of the United States Constitution Says (in part): "No person ... shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb."

Having a blanket policy of "we do not hire people who have a felony offense on their record" probably violates Amendent 5 and would open the company up to a lawsuit. If you look closely at employment applications they nearly always have the phrase "Note that a felony offense will not necessarily bar your from employment." Basically it means that the company would have to evaluate what the felony offense is and determine if the particular offense makes the person ineligible for employement.

The same logic applies to the state government issuing licenses. Some convicted child molesters probably wouldn't be unsuitable to be a licensed architect so denying them a license would be punishing the twice for the same offense.

Make sense?
So what do you think about a sex offender (with minors) for a realtor, to keep it close to what this forum is all about. IMO you can't have that happen since many people have kids....
I agree with Walmart that they don't hire a person convicted for several times of commiting grand theft and check fraud. I agree these people need work too, maybe in landscaping, what else I can think of because many profession have to deal with honesty with money or products which this person has shown not to be trusted.....maybe bringing the paper to peoples home, etc...

IMO these felons have limited their options, but there are still options open but they have to accept that they are the cause of all this, not society.
I also think Amendment 5 isn't made to give them a chance to do it again.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:08 PM

Well, real estate agents certainly work with kids (sometimes to the dismay of the agent) but don't have unsupervised access to kids. The parents will always be with them, and the chance of harm occuring to the kids is usually smaller when the parents are present. I think it'd be a tough question and one that the license board would need to work with the state attorney general to find a good answer for.

As far as the agent you know, as I said before, I don't know the agent nor do I have any knowledge of what may or may not have happened. I'm not judging whether or not that agent should have a license but do know that the simple fact there is felony conviction in the past does not bar a person from receiving any license from any state.

DISCLAIMER: I have not had a felony conviction in my past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals