U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 08:14 PM

2,124 posts, read 7,933,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
and the buyers agent doesn most of the important work and the listing agent just has to fill out the paperwork....great post.
that's funny : ) Cause there are agents in the business that only will be buyers agents because they feel that taking listings are so much harder and more work, LOL!!!! A listing agent has to have a marketing plan in place to have any success, that plan takes time and money to implement. it isn't all about one property, it is about a comprehensive plan.

I'm not laughing at you. I just find it ironic that the perception is that the buyers agent does all the work....

shelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 08:21 PM

33,426 posts, read 58,012,682 times
Quote:
You bring up a great point...In Europe the listing agent shows the house and knows all the good points and can tell about them. IMO that is the way it should be and that is also why you pay commission, not for an agent to sit on his... and the buyers agent doesn most of the important work and the listing agent just has to fill out the paperwork....great post.
But... You already absolutely have the right to sell that way.

You can instruct your agent that they must present to the buyer, that you do not want them to cooperate with or offer compensation to a Buyers' Agent.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:07 AM

45,575 posts, read 33,848,821 times
[quote=bentlebee;6088715]

In Europe the listing agent shows the house and knows all the good points and can tell about them...... /quote]

There are 27 states in the European Union. Real estate laws and practices differ country to country.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:11 AM

43,402 posts, read 52,384,520 times
We're house hunting, and it irritates me to have either the listing agent or the homeowner there. Actually makes us leave faster.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:13 AM

20,385 posts, read 37,685,004 times
[quote=middle-aged mom;6093089]
Quote:

In Europe the listing agent shows the house and knows all the good points and can tell about them...... /quote]

There are 27 states in the European Union. Real estate laws and practices differ country to country.
Yeah, that's come up with this poster before.

Just like they vary among the various states in the United States.

As to the original question, the bottom line answer is, the listing agent is very busy doing their primary job of getting as many other agents as possible to look upon this particular listing as a possibility for their clients so that THEY will show the house to as many people as possible - 10 or 15 or 30 people can show a lot more buyers that house than one can. Every hour spent showing the house themselves is time taken away from that very important part of the job of the listing agent. It will be done, of course (I do it when appropriate), but there is a price to be paid, and that's it.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:17 PM

6,162 posts, read 11,207,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onevthoki View Post
Depending on the state in which you are located, your agent may not be allowed to show the home.
My first impulse was to jump up & yell that this is absolutely incorrect. However, since I am not versed in the real estate laws of each & every state, I'll back up just a little an d ask for more info.
It is my belief that there is not a single place in the United States where the listing agent is not allowed to show the property to a potential buyer. They may be limited as to the type of representation they can offer that potential buyer, and they may be required to make some statements of disclosure, but EVERY listing agent of EVERY property is, as far as I understand, legally allowed to show & sell that property to potential buyers. If you have evidence that this is incorrect, I'd be very interested in seeing it.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
You bring up a great point...In Europe the listing agent shows the house and knows all the good points and can tell about them. IMO that is the way it should be and that is also why you pay commission, not for an agent to sit on his... and the buyers agent doesn most of the important work and the listing agent just has to fill out the paperwork....great post.
So in your opinion, the important work is showing the house to that one buyer and writing up the offer? It's not researching the market, finding the ideal listing price, marketing the property to buyers & their agents, negotiating the offer & sale, working through any contingencies, managing the contract through the various stages all the way to close?
Interesting.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:01 PM

1,218 posts, read 4,553,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
My first impulse was to jump up & yell that this is absolutely incorrect. However, since I am not versed in the real estate laws of each & every state, I'll back up just a little an d ask for more info.
It is my belief that there is not a single place in the United States where the listing agent is not allowed to show the property to a potential buyer. They may be limited as to the type of representation they can offer that potential buyer, and they may be required to make some statements of disclosure, but EVERY listing agent of EVERY property is, as far as I understand, legally allowed to show & sell that property to potential buyers. If you have evidence that this is incorrect, I'd be very interested in seeing it.
Perhaps I did not phrase it correctly, but it is my understanding that dual agency is not legal in some states. In the state of Virginia, it is, but I avoid it at all costs. Honestly I feel that a dual agent does a disservice to their clients. If I have a buyer interested in a listing, would I show it? Yes, and if they were interested in putting in an offer, I would have them write it up with a coworker. But let's be honest, if you have worked with that buyer for a while, you know what their budget is, perhaps giving the seller an advantage. And as a dual agent, you become an intermediary, not really an advocate for your clients.

Does that sound a bit better and what I was going for earlier?

Old 11-13-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onevthoki View Post
Perhaps I did not phrase it correctly, but it is my understanding that dual agency is not legal in some states. In the state of Virginia, it is, but I avoid it at all costs. Honestly I feel that a dual agent does a disservice to their clients. If I have a buyer interested in a listing, would I show it? Yes, and if they were interested in putting in an offer, I would have them write it up with a coworker. But let's be honest, if you have worked with that buyer for a while, you know what their budget is, perhaps giving the seller an advantage. And as a dual agent, you become an intermediary, not really an advocate for your clients.

Does that sound a bit better and what I was going for earlier?
A little, I guess, but...
Having a co worker write the paperwork does not change the fact that you are a dual agent. At least, here in NJ it wouldn't. Is Virginia a designated agency state? If not, then you are a dual agent anytime buyer & seller are represented by the same BROKERAGE. I have no issue with dual agency, as long as it's disclosed properly & timely, and have represented many clients this way. I think you are saying, and I agree if you are, that one AGENT cannot fairly represent the principals of both sides of a transaction.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:27 PM

2,124 posts, read 7,933,638 times
dual agency is allowed in VA. and yes, if onevthoki passed a buyer off to an agent in her firm, that would be designated dual agency.

I'm wondering why onvthoki wouldn't just treat buyer as customer and represent her own client (seller)? of course you would disclose (we have to), but if said buyer was happy being a customer and representing themselves (and possibly using an attorney)... I don't have a problem with it either.

shelly

Last edited by shellytc; 11-13-2008 at 08:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals