Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 11:41 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

Austin-Willy, I merely pointed out that you stated that you would do so if only it were possible. We had a discussion about that, in fact. I thought it was a great idea for ALL real estate professionals to be able to identify themselves as such on here, if you'll recall, so that everyone would be on an equal playing field.

If you've changed your mind, or didn't mean it in the first place, fine. I just thought that you'd want the same transparency that the real estate agents have.

Your attitude towards agents, by the way, isn't something I really have to point out. It stands on its own merits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 11:55 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,994,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Austin-Willy, I merely pointed out that you stated that you would do so if only it were possible... If you've changed your mind, or didn't mean it in the first place, fine. I just thought that you'd want the same transparency that the real estate agents have.
Prove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Your attitude towards agents, by the way, isn't something I really have to point out.
You mean your accusations aren't anything that you feel the need to backup with actual facts, links, or specific examples? Yes, I understand.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:13 PM

39 posts, read 121,251 times
beckycat,
the agency issue that SLP247 brought up may be more important than it seems on the surface. Yes, you want to bring these buyers to the table, but you want to be careful what you reveal to their agent regarding you "price, terms and motivation". If that agent is under an exclusive representation contract with them, they will pass all the info received from you onto them, and this may negatively impact your position in negotiation.
Good luck!

Old 11-11-2008, 09:13 PM

151 posts, read 605,040 times
@ SassyBelle,

Thanks for getting this back on subject. As for speaking to the seller. I will always give feedback. As stated, in my clients favor. Though if they are NOT interested in the house in any possible way. I will provide full feedback. I will usually say to a Seller OR Sellers agent, My Clients are Interested. No feedback is necessary. Because in all honestly. Do you really care what the feedback is if I am going to be giving you an offer?

Any agent that refuses to speak to the Seller who is being represented by a limited service agency is guilty of anti competitive practices. A simple question like "why isn't your agent calling" will quickly determine if I can speak to the seller directly. In fact, after leaving my card at a showing, I often get a call from the seller asking for feedback. I am courteous and professional and feedback can be presents as to not harm anyone in the deal.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:38 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
Would it change your mind if the OP was a real estate agent and listing his own home?

If so, how's that different than the situation the OP mentioned in the first post?
I would give feedback to an agent listing their own house, but if it's necessary they probably aren't a good agent. I would give feedback to a FSBO on whether the buyer was interested or not but I wouldn't tell them what to do to make their house more sellable. Out of simple courtesy I give agents honest feedback because they deserve it for being pro-active.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-Willy View Post
There is no rational reason for it other than the desire to force buyers and sellers to use agents. Anything that can be said to a listing agent could just as easily be said to a seller.
If a seller want's my direct input they should hire me to market their home instead of someone too lazy to get feedback.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-Willy View Post
Which is why it's not very smart to confide any sensitive information to your agent. The only thing that would make them a "filter" is if they really are in the dark about their client's true thoughts.
I agree with you on this one about some information. Obviously the agent needs relevant information. One thing I definitely don't want to know is my sellers bottom line. My job is to get the maximum value we can so it's not relevant in most situations. Of course, if the seller is unrealistic in price I'll turn the listing down.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:44 AM

151 posts, read 605,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
If a seller wants my direct input they should hire me to market their home instead of someone too lazy to get feedback.
Brandon, I think you are confusing a lazy agent with a limited service agency or brokerage. These agent and brokers provide "Limited Service" to the Seller. Since they are only being paid for a specific service, why would you expect them to provide additional services that they have not been compensated for?

As Professional Agents, we need to remember; It is not 1988. It is 2008 and there are dozens of different business models out there. Today, both Buyers and Sellers have a number of choices when it come to selling and buying homes. The advent of the internet has made it possible for some, who are willing, to do more on their own. To deny these clients that opportunity is to not only violate Federal Anti Trust laws, but to also live up to the (and forgive me all ethical Used Car Salespeople) Used Car Salesperson standards many consider us to be.

I will gladly take the opportunity to help a Seller with anything they may need to sell their home. Think of it as trying out for a team. You are not getting paid, you are simply given the opportunity to show them...What You Got!

We all took an Oath and nothing in that Oath speaks of making money or having a signed contracts in order to be Professional in our business dealing.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:55 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,994,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLP247 View Post
Brandon, I think you are confusing a lazy agent with a limited service agency or brokerage. These agent and brokers provide "Limited Service" to the Seller. Since they are only being paid for a specific service, why would you expect them to provide additional services that they have not been compensated for?

As Professional Agents, we need to remember; It is not 1988. It is 2008 and there are dozens of different business models out there. Today, both Buyers and Sellers have a number of choices when it come to selling and buying homes. The advent of the internet has made it possible for some, who are willing, to do more on their own. To deny these clients that opportunity is to not only violate Federal Anti Trust laws, but to also live up to the (and forgive me all ethical Used Car Salespeople) Used Car Salesperson standards many consider us to be.

I will gladly take the opportunity to help a Seller with anything they may need to sell their home. Think of it as trying out for a team. You are not getting paid, you are simply given the opportunity to show them...What You Got!

We all took an Oath and nothing in that Oath speaks of making money or having a signed contracts in order to be Professional in our business dealing.
An agent with a conscience. Bravo! Couldn't agree with you more. Rep points coming your way.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry but you are wrong on so many levels. Limited service doesn't apply to how much someone pays in commission but rather the services. The seller was free to select any agent they wanted so I don't "expect" anything from the list agent other than to do their half of the transaction if I bring an offer. In your scenario they selected someone who doesn't offer feedback as a service. Look at my post history if you need to. I've said it before and I'll say it again for you- I don't care what someone is willing to work for as long as they carry their weight in the transaction.

Quote:
WTH are you talking abouth denying clients an opportunity to sell a home and anti-trust laws? My client in your scenario is the buyer, not the seller. I denied my client (the buyer) nothing and the buyer is the only one I owe anything. As a matter of fact, I gave the seller a great chance of selling the home by showing it. If the seller can't figure out why their home is selling they should have hired an agent that could figure out what it takes to sell a house.

Quote:
I do think of it as a team. My teammate is the buyer. My opponent is the seller. Once we get it under contract my job is to work with the other agent to get it closed. While I'm almost never adverserial and work with the other agent very well, I never confuse who I'm loyal to. If the seller wanted me on his team, he should have hired me or one of the agents in my office.

Quote:
What? Come on, that makes very little sense. I have no idea where you get off judging someone when you've never met or worked with. Other agents love working with me on a transaction.because I'm one of the easiest agents to work with you'd ever meet and I have a great reputation. I'd say if anything, it's unethical to speak with another agents clients about what they should or shouldn't be doing. If a buyer called you that had an agency agreement with another agent, would you help the buyer put together a CMA on a house they wanted to buy? Give them feedback on if what they wanted to offer or repairs they have made? Same thing as before, just the other side of the coin. Did you ever think about it that way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals