U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 10:41 AM

6,032 posts, read 10,944,567 times
My website allows 5 page hits before a doorway form opens up. It also tells browsers that if they want to enter false information, they are free to do so. If they supply a valid email address, they get an auto reply from me telling them I'll send their information to one of my agents. My agents then send an email to them offering assistance. If nothing comes of it, oh, well. Half of my transactions this year have come from folks who visited and filled out the doorway form and I think we have struck a reasonable balance to the situation. It took me a long time to get off the Realty World web trap and I was constantly bombarded with irrelevant email from them. (Not to pick on RW, it's just one of those places that I remember.)

I actually enjoy the creative replies to the doorway form. George of the Jungle and Mickey Mouse have visited my website as well as Saddam Hussein
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 11:00 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
My website allows 5 page hits before a doorway form opens up. It also tells browsers that if they want to enter false information, they are free to do so. If they supply a valid email address, they get an auto reply from me telling them I'll send their information to one of my agents. My agents then send an email to them offering assistance. If nothing comes of it, oh, well. Half of my transactions this year have come from folks who visited and filled out the doorway form and I think we have struck a reasonable balance to the situation. It took me a long time to get off the Realty World web trap and I was constantly bombarded with irrelevant email from them. (Not to pick on RW, it's just one of those places that I remember.)

I actually enjoy the creative replies to the doorway form. George of the Jungle and Mickey Mouse have visited my website as well as Saddam Hussein

What? No Elivis? I was hopin' he really wasn't dead, after all.

As a broker with a company website, it sounds like you've hit on a good compromise. Obviously the company websites need a way to generate leads for their agents. My company does something similar, and my broker does a great job with website ad placement on the search engines, etc. It's tough, though, as an agent for us keep our websites relevent and interesting and user friendly. If it's not then there is no way we can compete with the company sites and the national sites.

I also think there is a big problem that to the consumer "we all look alike".

Old 11-14-2008, 12:28 PM

6,032 posts, read 10,944,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
What? No Elivis? I was hopin' he really wasn't dead, after all.

LOL yeah I think Elvis also visited, but the house with the jungle room had already sold

Old 11-14-2008, 03:36 PM

1,151 posts, read 1,824,282 times
I just haven't seen a large enough distinction between the various available search sites to justify registering on one when you can search freely on another. Perhaps if there was some benfit of registering it would be different. But I don't use those sites.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:19 PM

19,237 posts, read 29,636,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
I notice different kind of websites. Some let you freely browse the agents listings, others make you register to see anything specific. As a browser I hate those kind. I saw a website today of an agent and if you wanted to see pictures of the inside of the houses for sale, you had to register. Another agent had a different site and you could freely see pictures of the houses inside and out without giving any information.

Yet other websites seem to have a tracking cookie and send an email to whover is browsing a site, from the agent.

Which type of websites are the best?? I don't like the ones where I have to register, I prefer being able to look at things and deciding what I want to do without someone bugging me.
Toria,

I think you will find that the IDX provider may have technical parameters regarding registration.

I am a strong proponent of no registration.
My current IDX provider requires registration to drop a cookie to remember settings that the visitor is trying to save.
As long as the viewer is working the same search, or a permutation of that search, no registration is required.

If the visitor wants to save a search and build a new search, email properties, save properties, or otherwise use the resources of the IDX provider, registration is required.

This is slightly more intrusive than my former IDX provider, but the search interface and variety of search fields are improved, so I decided to give it a crack.
If I am uncomfortable with it, I can just go back to the prior IDX alternative with no issue.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:20 PM

19,237 posts, read 29,636,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I am both a (former) web developer and a mapping/GIS professional, so I'm really interested in R/E websites. This is my first buying experience, and I was shocked at how BAD realtor websites are, given the amount of money flowing through the R/E industry, given how much free & public data is available, and given how useful location-based analysis is in real estate.

Just a handful of examples, as a buyer, I look at digital elevation models, overland flow patterns, oblique aerials, past sales in the neighborhood, flood zones, traffic count data, zoning data, and crime data. This is all location-based data, freely available from the city, county, and state, that any real estate agent could provide to the client, integrated into their MLS search. Agents/firms go to the trouble to create these web mapping searches, but ultimately fall short in fulfilling its potential by delivering solid data.

In contrast, what I find in the marketplace is that data is tightly controlled. Agents require me to provide too much personal info - like my mailing address and telephone - and then dole out housing information in little morsels, on their terms. I end up using my own data, or Zillow, or Trulia in lieu of information from my realtor, and this greatly lessens his value to me.

Sounds like the basis for a fantastic IDX solution, coupled with website content for the consumer.
How much a month?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals