U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 11:42 AM

8,192 posts, read 18,936,825 times
Default Cost of MLS listing

Just curious, how much does it cost to list a home in the MLS? Do they charge per week or month? Per picture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 12:55 PM

210 posts, read 886,673 times
Default Yup

Inquiring minds want to know

Old 02-27-2007, 12:59 PM

3,632 posts, read 10,711,253 times
Nothing! However, RE agents pay a lot to have these services. Yearly and quarterly fees and dues for everything. But to have a house put on the mls, nothing. We already pay for it.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:04 PM

8,192 posts, read 18,936,825 times
Thank you. Now I can file that little factoid away.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Clarification

I guess what I meant to say is how much does the "average" listing cost in marketing expenses including print, Internet and any other marketing outlets ?
Do any of you brokers/agents out there use direct mail such as postcards or flyers ?. It seems that might be a good way to drive traffic to a website. I realize you cant direct mail every listing but maybe on selected ones it might be beneficial. Thoughts ?

Old 02-27-2007, 01:21 PM

8,464 posts, read 18,301,812 times
My MLS system Metrolist charges a monthly fee to be a member, an hourly fee to be online and an insertion fee for property to be listed.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:24 PM

Default Good to know

Thanx 2b. I guess the question begs to be asked. Is this practice of fees for being online, insertion and membership general one ?. If so, I now understand why it's so damn expensive to list a property.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:25 PM

If you think that maybe one in 10-15 households move a year. Direct mail costs $1.00 a piece...direct marketing is not cost effective for a one time mailing. Studies have shown you are subjected to so many ads every day, it takes 9-12 immpressions just to notice your ad. Ok so you send out postcards every week for three months just to get a hit or three on your website.

These people know a real estate person, or of someone who just moved and used a real estate person.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:25 PM

854 posts, read 2,861,591 times
I send out a newsletter every 6-8 weeks to my client base that has lots of different home and real estate topics. I always try to get people to visit my website for the latest listing info and ability to search the current inventory. All of the classes I've taken over the past year have taught that the internet shoppers are the market to "hit", so all of our print advertising should be geared back to the website(s). Cost-wise, it's much cheaper and more effective to put homes on the internet than to be charged per word in a classified or other print type medium. I'd love to see the day when printed classifieds and outdated home magazines are GONE! I also advertise my listings on a local TV channel that runs real estate ads - it's similar to the internet in that you get color photos, text, and a voice-over. Even on TV, I have a banner running on the screen with my website name, too, to point people back to the internet.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:19 PM

Well, I have to hold a current and valid license from my state. Then I am allowed to be a member of NAR, and the state and local association. Then I agree to abide by the MLS rule, and pay a monthly fee for access. I pay for time I use online to search for properties (either to show properties or research for a market analysis) and if I am so lucky to get a seller to hire me, I get to pay again to the local MLS an insertion fee.

Realtor.com is also a separate annual fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals