Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2007, 01:05 PM

30 posts, read 294,720 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to get my license for the first time. I need some recomendations of schools.To all the agents out there, what are your opinions of taking real estate classes on line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,553 times
Where do you live? There are several places in New york.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:15 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
taking the class online is ok...you will never hear the instructor's emphasis on certain topics, hearing other students questions....part of the package is the experience of being with people just like you, in search of knowledge and a place to hang your new shiny license.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:38 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,162,378 times
You learn SO much more in the classroom! Your instructor will give you the "lo down" of how things really work. This is INVALUABLE information! You will be able to ask a million question (which you will have). RE school is not easy. It's a lot of work. Most people fail the state lic exams the first time. It's a lot of stuff that you probably never really need to know.

The material that is covered doesn't really teach you how to sell a house. That's where the instructor will break it down for you and tell you how to sell, what papers and forms are involved, and what most agencies in the area expect. Seriously, if you want to know how to sell RE, then go to an in person school.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:00 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,331,319 times
daugs, I believe you're in Austin, TX, right? Check out Austin Community College's real estate program in the continuing education department.

And believe everyone else's comments here, it is not easy! Be prepared to really devote a lot of time to studying.

Here's the website. Click on course schedule and then real estate to see the courses offered.

http://www.austincc.edu/ce/schedule.php (broken link)

Old 03-10-2007, 12:18 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
Not to denigrate the intense study efforts of those who had to work hard to pass the RE license test ...

but I studied for my Colorado license by reading through my (ex) wife's class study materials from her RE school, and going down to take the test after a few weekends of reading the materials.

I passed on the first try and didn't need much of the allocated time to go through the test. There were a lot of others who left well before me, too.

It's simply no big deal. A bit of memory work about basic laws, ethical practice, fidicuary responsibility, filling out contract forms, and general knowledge about the product you're selling (surveys, required disclosures, etc.)

Personally, I think it's a myth that a realtor's license is so hard to obtain, perpetuated by realtors to make it sound like it's an exclusively tough profession to get into.

I know of places in Colorado where there's more licensed realtors than properties available in the market right now.

The only thing that I see is tough about getting into Real Estate is quickly finding enough qualified clients to start getting deals completed and cash flow going so you can make expenses and a living.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:37 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post

Personally, I think it's a myth that a realtor's license is so hard to obtain, perpetuated by Realtors to make it sound like it's an exclusively tough profession to get into.

I know of places in Colorado where there's more licensed Realtors than properties available in the market right now.
There is no such animal as a Realtor's license. One gets a Broker's or Salesman's license from the state. Then if one wants, pays to become a member of the local, state & National Association of Realtors.

It is a fact that most people fail to pass their first time taking the test. Some pre-license schools have better pass the test rates.

Just because you take the class, does not mean you pass the test. Just because you pass the test does not mean you get a license.

There are 34,000+/- licensees in Colorado with 38,000 properties on the market in the Denver MLS alone.

There are productive EBA offices (representing buyers exclusively) and therefore would not have any listings.

Most Realtors are in favor of raising the bar to get and hold a license, having minimum standards for service.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:35 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,159,014 times
Well, I'll stand corrected on the very fine point: one does take a Real Estate Salesman's license exam, and if you pass, you can then pay the fees and subscribe to the training/code of ethics to become a Realtor (which is a registered trademark).

I'd present basic evidence that it doesn't take much to study and pass the RE Salesman's exam in the form of my ex-family members, but they're not available at this time to contribute to the forum. (and I do mean that sarcastically ... if my former wife, an indifferent high school graduate of no special talent or training could pass the Colorado RE Salesman's exam on the first try after attending classes ... then just about anybody with some common sense and retention ability can pass. Her only jobs out of high school were receptionist positions at big companies. She did go back to school and became a legal assistant, dropping RE as being too much work for her).

I'd offer up a further observation ... how many RE Salespeople have you met that are former housewives with time on their hands now that the kids are out of the house and she has only a high school diploma?

It's true, also, that a lot of educated people are attracted to the RE profession. Why? Because in many circumstances, they can work less and make more money than they did in their "professional career". I know former major airline pilots who walked away from senior positions (and $100K+ per year jobs), dentists, lawyers, veterinarians, RN's, LPN's, plumbers, electricians, auto mechanics, psychologists (PHD's), teachers with a lot of years and advanced degrees, DEA agents, CPA's, GS-12 level Gov't managers in Forestry or Hydrology, and so forth. And that's from just the little exposure I've had to the people in the business.

My point remains: it's not too difficult or costly to get a RE Salesman's ticket. If you're interested in going into RE, go for it. Don't be discouraged by the multitudes who are already there who say it was difficult ... it just isn't so.

Last edited by sunsprit; 03-10-2007 at 04:45 PM..

Old 03-10-2007, 08:41 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,278,761 times
To the original question....if you haven't bought or sold many homes on your own, and you don't hold a salesperson's license already in any state, then I would recommend an in person class. It will allow you to more quickly hone in on the information that you need to pass the test - which is really what RE school is all about. Online classes are not designed to present information in a "need to know" format to pass the test; they are designed to be long narratives to ensure that you meet the minimum hour requirements for each course. It's harder to sift through the information and know what will really be pertinent for exam time. Online classes are better for your continuing education requirements or if you are getting a license in an additional state and already have gone through the real estate basics. Good luck!

Old 03-11-2007, 02:00 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,162,378 times
Also, the in person classes the instructor will give you examples of questions that are on the exam. Many students will call up the school and tell them about some strange questions that popped up and then everyone learns from that. They can tell you what to watch out for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals