Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 01:26 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,576,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I put in red the part that bothered me, if you were really a real estate manager as you stated....otherwise it is just a misconception on your part.

A LL has the right (florida law as Mike has stated and proved by copying a part of the law) to show the home and the LL doesn't have to wait until the tenant has moved out, unless the lease has a different wording.

How much time and money will be lost before a LL can rent it to some one else...also in todays economy so many need a place to rent and with all the foreclosures and bad credit even more people are searching for places to rent.
OK I just read Mike's post PLease Show me where the law as he states says anything about showing the rental to some stranger for the purpose of renting to Another !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 02:44 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
The OP is long gone.

Illinois (the Op's state) defers to the local municipality. Here is the link to the Chicago ordinance which gives the LL the right to show property, with two with 2 days notice.

http://www.depositlaw.com/050.htm

If the intent is to show the property to a buyer, such showing can ocur at anytime, throughout the lease, with notice.

If the intent is to show the property for purposes of reletting, this can occur at anytime during the final 60 days of the lease, with notice.

Showings can occur between 8-8.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:07 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,992,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
OK I just read Mike's post PLease Show me where the law as he states says anything about showing the rental to some stranger for the purpose of renting to Another !
I'm having a hard time parsing your posts because of your rather unique style of writing, so I'm not positive I understand what your point is. You seem to be questioning whether the landlord can show the property to a stranger (meaning real estate agents???) for the purpose of renting to another (meaning potential tenants???). If that is your question, I'll point out to you the part of the FL statute that Mike quoted which allows that:

(1) The tenant shall not unreasonably withhold consent to the landlord to enter the dwelling unit from time to time in order to inspect the premises; make necessary or agreed repairs, decorations, alterations, or improvements; supply agreed services; or exhibit the dwelling unit to prospective or actual purchasers, mortgagees, tenants, workers, or contractors.

An agent is both a prospective worker and a prospective contractor.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:43 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,576,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-Willy View Post
I'm having a hard time parsing your posts because of your rather unique style of writing, so I'm not positive I understand what your point is. You seem to be questioning whether the landlord can show the property to a stranger (meaning real estate agents???) for the purpose of renting to another (meaning potential tenants???). If that is your question, I'll point out to you the part of the FL statute that Mike quoted which allows that:

(1) The tenant shall not unreasonably withhold consent to the landlord to enter the dwelling unit from time to time in order to inspect the premises; make necessary or agreed repairs, decorations, alterations, or improvements; supply agreed services; or exhibit the dwelling unit to prospective or actual purchasers, mortgagees, tenants, workers, or contractors.

An agent is both a prospective worker and a prospective contractor.
Agreed . But with that said the OP would not be withholding consent if he objected to the lock box so any agent from any agency could enter with him or her being there . I think that was the OP's original concern not weather or not he had to allow the LL to enter at all. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:32 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Owners have to specifically authorize the installation of a lock box on their property.

I am curious, what kind of lock boxes are we talking about, here? Are this basic combination lock boxes or more sophisticated Supra/Sentrilock boxes?

I do not understand owners who allow basic combination lockboxes to be installed on their properties, especially if the property is occupied. There is nothing within the lockbox, tracking/recording who is or when the box is being activated. It's a real red flag, fo rme.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:24 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Agreed . But with that said the OP would not be withholding consent if he objected to the lock box so any agent from any agency could enter with him or her being there . I think that was the OP's original concern not weather or not he had to allow the LL to enter at all. Sorry for the confusion.
I was responding to Sarah who posted today since the OP had given 60 day notice back in January and is gone by now.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:40 PM

982 posts, read 1,099,530 times
And I'm terribly behind but also wanted to chime in. I'm a landlord and my tenants have agreed on occasion to have lockboxes on. I would never tell them they had to in a lease or pressure them to do so. If I were a tenant, not in a million years would I allow a lockbox. I would however show the property.

I agree with the person who said that having an occasional month of nonoccupancy is the price of doing business when you're a landlord.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:23 PM

3 posts, read 7,059 times
what if you rent a unit and the bilding is for sale and the realiter puts a lockbox on the property? We dont get notifed for showing and people just walk in to are home. just today someone came in while i was a sleep. i have a dog and 2 kids. i need to know if its ok for them to put a lockbox on the property? it is a 2 flat that we rent and were not moving as of yet? what do i do?

Old 02-24-2011, 01:46 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Have a conversation with the owner and read your lease.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:20 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teecola View Post
what if you rent a unit and the bilding is for sale and the realiter puts a lockbox on the property? We dont get notifed for showing and people just walk in to are home. just today someone came in while i was a sleep. i have a dog and 2 kids. i need to know if its ok for them to put a lockbox on the property? it is a 2 flat that we rent and were not moving as of yet? what do i do?
After you read your lease and determine if you must allow the lockbox have a conversation with the agent's boss(the managing broker).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals