U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-13-2009, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,390 times
Question Listing agreement extended without our consent

I would certainly appreciate it if someone here can help me out on this.

Last spring, I signed a 4 month listing agreement for our house in NJ. My realtor was doing nothing, so I listed the house myself on several websites, i.e. craigslist, trulia and also listed for rent, and we ended up renting to someone I found. We told the realtor, who wanted us to let her have the first month's rent, and she would run a credit check and do the walkthrough. We agreed. That was a mistake, but not really the point.

When we decided to let her do the rental, she wrote on the original listing contract that she was getting the first month's rent, which we initialed, but we noticed later she had extended the listing date until the end of 2009! I still see my house listed online as being "temporarily off the market."

Do I have to get the listing terminated since we'd never agreed to that date to begin with? It's essentially a fraudulent document because it's doctored. Do I handle this with her or the broker?

Last edited by Elizabeth Ann Cook; 03-13-2009 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: because clarity is a good thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 10:14 AM

16,240 posts, read 22,156,849 times
If the change was not initialed and is clearly a change (the original ending date marked out and a new one substituted), it's not valid. Contact the broker.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:20 AM

5,881 posts, read 6,699,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Ann Cook View Post
I would certainly appreciate it if someone here can help me out on this.

Last spring, I signed a 4 month listing agreement for our house in NJ. My realtor was doing nothing, so I listed the house myself on several websites, i.e. craigslist, trulia and also listed for rent, and we ended up renting to someone I found. We told the realtor, who wanted us to let her have the first month's rent, and she would run a credit check and do the walkthrough. We agreed. That was a mistake, but not really the point.

When we decided to let her do the rental, she wrote on the original listing contract that she was getting the first month's rent, which we initialed, but we noticed later she had extended the listing date until the end of 2009! I still see my house listed online as being "temporarily off the market."

Do I have to get the listing terminated since we'd never agreed to that date to begin with? It's essentially a fraudulent document because it's doctored. Do I handle this with her or the broker?
I would suggest, in most cases, that you call the agent & have her explain why she did it & have her fix it. If she gives even the slightest resistance to fixing it, immediately get on the phone with her broker.

I can see some validity, however, in not wanting to even bother with someone who would do that sort of thing, so I couldn't fault you at all if you just skipped over her & went straight to the broker.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:02 AM

10,851 posts, read 18,130,249 times
If you make a change on a document you have to initial BY THE CHANGE...that way other changes can't be made. If she extended the listing date and you did not initial that change as THL said, it's not valid.

So...call the principal broker and talk with them. If they won't act quickly to take the home off the market, then file a complaint with the real estate agency.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:03 AM

15,461 posts, read 20,257,482 times
If you have it rented, who is collecting the rent and is the realtor doing the management as well?

If you are doing everything your self, I don't see why you even have it listed and would cancel it and get it off the market since you have it rented out....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals