Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:38 AM

164 posts, read 515,622 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

Just curious to see if there are regional differences on this question: Is it considered inappropriate to request an "agent preview" showing of a new listing when you have a competing listing on the market? I think it's OK, but others may not. Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 11:00 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
I think it's a part of the job in general i.e. know your market and specifically to know your competition.

I do not see how it would be a bad idea. If I had buyer call on my listing but I knew it was not a match, I could speak intelligently on yours. Predictive marketing at it's best.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:40 AM

1,570 posts, read 5,985,295 times
I don't think it's a big deal. Yes, some agents will do a "preview" when in fact, they just want to see what the comp is. However, I really don't see it as a problem. After all, when a house is on the market it's not a secret. It's just business. Don't think that retailers don't shop their comps all the time.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
I think it's a part of the job in general i.e. know your market and specifically to know your competition.

I do not see how it would be a bad idea. If I had buyer call on my listing but I knew it was not a match, I could speak intelligently on yours. Predictive marketing at it's best.
Thanks for the input, 2b. I also saw it as part of my job so I was surprised when the agent with the competing listing took offense. She thought it was rude of me to put her client through the house prep for showing when I was there to "spy" on the competition.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMichelle View Post
I don't think it's a big deal. Yes, some agents will do a "preview" when in fact, they just want to see what the comp is. However, I really don't see it as a problem. After all, when a house is on the market it's not a secret. It's just business. Don't think that retailers don't shop their comps all the time.
Excellent point MMichele - I wish I had thought of that analogy to retailers shopping the competition. Makes perfect sense.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:14 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
We have broker tours out here for that. I can say I have only been called once in the past 7 years by an agent that wanted to preview the house who didn't have a buyer.

It's not the norm in my area. Agents out here are generally respectful of sellers...most make appointments the night before, etc.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:05 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
We have broker tours out here for that. I can say I have only been called once in the past 7 years by an agent that wanted to preview the house who didn't have a buyer.

It's not the norm in my area. Agents out here are generally respectful of sellers...most make appointments the night before, etc.

At the moment, we have a lot of inventory on Long Island. While we have Broker Open Houses, it's not always possible to attend all of them--limited time frames and often quite a distance apart.
I (and others I know) do request previews when applicable, mostly if we have a potential buyer who has limited time to look or is so specific, that a tour ahead of time will save time and makes me look more knowledgeable and service oriented.
Calling at the last minute is something I avoid, no matter who or what, although occasionally it happens. Planning ahead is more my cup of tea...

Old 08-05-2010, 01:49 PM

244 posts, read 747,219 times
I do not see a problem with it at all. As a seller you should want agents to come see the property. A potential buyer could state to this agent a specific want in a property and that could be something in the sellers house. I would not mind at all.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:02 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I (and others I know) do request previews when applicable, mostly if we have a potential buyer who has limited time to look or is so specific, that a tour ahead of time will save time and makes me look more knowledgeable and service oriented.

This is true for my area as well. Previewing for an out of town buyer is very normal. You have to screen things out somehow, but the OP is talking about just previewing because it is competition for their own listing. That isn't common in my area at all.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:48 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawoftheLand View Post
Thanks for the input, 2b. I also saw it as part of my job so I was surprised when the agent with the competing listing took offense. She thought it was rude of me to put her client through the house prep for showing when I was there to "spy" on the competition.
I see it as part of my job too. I try to schedule well in advance and try not to inconvenience the Seller. Yes I am "spying" on the competition but what if I sell it to someone who doesn't like my listing? Would you call me a spy or the Buyer's Agent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals