U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:07 PM

23 posts, read 95,150 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if there are some unspoken norms among realtors when showing a house.

I went to a see a house that had two other families also looking at the house. When we got there one group was in the driveway talking, while, unknown to us, another group was inside the house talking. The group inside were already done, but they were still discussing stuff inside the house. Since our realtor walked into the house, we followed her. She directed us upstairs, but a few of us took a quick look at the downstairs part. The other realtor then led his group outside and gave a smirky remark to our realtor "thank you for your consideration.i appreciate you letting your family in while we were still in there."

Question: was the other realtor out of line or was out realtor wrong? i just felt a little awkward. I also think that the other realtor was the listing agent on the REO, so now we're scared that he'll not want to deal with our realtor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 10:19 PM

11,856 posts, read 5,665,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobdrblinkchik View Post
I was just wondering if there are some unspoken norms among realtors when showing a house.

I went to a see a house that had two other families also looking at the house. When we got there one group was in the driveway talking, while, unknown to us, another group was inside the house talking. The group inside were already done, but they were still discussing stuff inside the house. Since our realtor walked into the house, we followed her. She directed us upstairs, but a few of us took a quick look at the downstairs part. The other realtor then led his group outside and gave a smirky remark to our realtor "thank you for your consideration.i appreciate you letting your family in while we were still in there."

Question: was the other realtor out of line or was out realtor wrong? i just felt a little awkward. I also think that the other realtor was the listing agent on the REO, so now we're scared that he'll not want to deal with our realtor.
Well, I think the smirky comment was a bit unprofessional, but the couple of times that happened to me and the listing agency didn't let me know someone else was showing it at same time, I took my clients back outside until everyone else was finished; then took them in and showed the house. I wouldn't think, though, that it should have an affect on possible Listing Agent not wanting to work with your Realtor because a sale is a sale, you know? So if you decided to put in an offer don't think they'd turn it down over something like this.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:30 PM

10,993 posts, read 18,889,531 times
Kind of the rule of "showing etiquette" is to let the other party know you are there. If I was your agent I would have walked in and asked if they were finished so that I could show the house. If they needed a few more minutes I would have started with the outside.

Otherwise, I would have offered to go upstairs to let them finish the conversation. If your agent directed people upstairs, why didn't they go?

Old 05-13-2009, 10:47 PM

23 posts, read 95,150 times
when you walk into the house after about 10ft, the stairs are to the right and to the left side(directly in front of the stairs) is the kitchen. So while walking to the stairs, a few went straight to the stairs and went directly up, while a few others stood at the stairs and took a look around, then proceeded to go up stairs.

While we were looking at the house, the people on the driveway were came in also. So now that i think about it, maybe our realtor was wrong. The people in the driveway were proabably waiting for the group to leave, and instead our agent "cut" infront of the other agent and brought us in.

Now that i know this, I'll make sure the house is empty before entering, regardless of whether or not our realtor is inside or not.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:01 PM

21,726 posts, read 37,184,337 times
The more the merrier! Seriously, if the listing agent could have people lined up like around the block like the Premier of Big Movie they'd be in ecstasy. Don't waste any time worrying about this!

The place was REO, and vacant I would guess, so that ought to give everybody room to spread out and pick the place apart. Smirky comments are a sign of loser that doesn't know the difference between a listing and an office!

When I have gotten to property and it is obvious another agent is showing it I too will start with a walk around of the yard, unless it wet /'raining, in which case I will ring the doorbell / rap on the door, bellow out a "Hello -- mind if I bring some other through" and wait for an appropriate response.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:33 PM

2,248 posts, read 5,907,099 times
Quote:
Since our realtor walked into the house, we followed her. She directed us upstairs, but a few of us took a quick look at the downstairs part.
The ettiquet of showing/seeing a home is that everyone in the party follows the Realtor®. She was leading you away from the other parties and some of you didn't follow her, went your own way. You should be all staying together.
The fact that the other Realtor® was sitting in the driveway, playing 'nice' is, well, nice, but obviously there is a lot of interest in the house. Sometimes in a situation like that, first in with the contract gets the deal and an hour's difference can make all the difference.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:45 PM

11,856 posts, read 5,665,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmcoasting View Post
The ettiquet of showing/seeing a home is that everyone in the party follows the Realtor®. She was leading you away from the other parties and some of you didn't follow her, went your own way. You should be all staying together.
The fact that the other Realtor® was sitting in the driveway, playing 'nice' is, well, nice, but obviously there is a lot of interest in the house. Sometimes in a situation like that, first in with the contract gets the deal and an hour's difference can make all the difference.
Well I've repped you so many times that it tells me to 'spread the wealth' LOL

I do agree that 'an hour' can make all the difference, though I personally don't like confrontations or anyone feeling 'uncomfortable' - plus sometimes other Realtors say things like this one Realtor did that made the buyer feel like someone had done something wrong. Like another poster said, yes, start with the outside features, etc. but I always wait until the other Realtors have finished showing the house B4 I would bring in my clients.

Now, if there is so much interest in a particular home, then during the showing I would point out to my client that if this was 'the house for them' we need to move quickly to get an offer submitted so the seller could evaluate the offers and decide which one he wanted to accept. I used to carry my laptop, along with a portable printer so we could write an offer quickly. Again, everyone has their own style - which is a good thing because just like not all Realtors are alike, neither are all buyers.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:17 AM

2,248 posts, read 5,907,099 times
Quote:
everyone has their own style - which is a good thing because just like not all Realtors are alike, neither are all buyers.
Well, ain't that the truth?!

Edit: I can't rep you either, lol. And I agree with you that the other Realtor® that was in the house should have kept their attitude in check.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:33 AM

17,193 posts, read 20,203,102 times
Jeeze, 3 groups looking a house at the same time? Nobody has looked at mine since last summer. Must be nice.

Old 05-16-2009, 08:09 AM

16,498 posts, read 22,967,292 times
When I arrive at a property and someone else is showing it, it's simply good manners to wait until they are through. (This rarely happens, but if it does, it's almost always a vacant property where the instructions are "Go". If they are "call first, then go", someone will tell me there's another agent scheduled to come at X time and it can easily be avoided.) It also makes it easier for my clients to view the house without distraction. I'll, as the agent, instruct my client(s) to wait while I let the other agent know that we're there waiting, then do so, and when they're done, we go in.

I would never just lead my clients in when there's yet another agent outside with their clients without verifying that they did not arrive first. That's something you learn in kindergarten, for goodness sake! Assuming, of course, your mother didn't teach you first.

This isn't really a real estate question, but a basic manners question, when you get right down to it. The OP's agent apparently didn't have any, and the agent originally in the house didn't display good manners, either, calling the OP's agent on their lack of manners in front of other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals