Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 07:10 AM

10 posts, read 33,164 times

Advertisements

We are purchasing a house in PA and selling our NJ home. We have a buyer and are set to close and purchase the olh home and new home on the same day in mid July. My PA realtor is trying to get us to remove our Sale and Settlement contingency from our contract to please the builder of our new home. She said my buyers have the mortgage commitment so there is no need to keep this clause. We feel if anything should happen and the sale of our current home falls through this clause protects us financially with the new house.
Is my realtor telling us correct info or is she leaving us unprotected and trying to just make the sale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 07:35 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
I have had cash deals fall apart days before closing where the buyer walked away from thousands.
You may get the earnest money but could get hurt on the purchase (any earnest money you have there).

The clause is there for a reason, I would not remove it unless I was certain they are going to close. If there is any doubt then protect yourself.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:44 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,897,694 times
I'm with Mike on this. They didn't make bumper stickers Sh*t Happens for no reason.... sometimes things just happen you have no control over. You're protection is that clause. Leave it in. The builder accepted the contract that way, he's stuck with it. By the way... isn't your Realtor® supposed to be 'pleasing' you, not the builder?

Old 06-25-2009, 07:52 AM

We are thinking our realtor is trying to please the builder in order to get his future listings. His realtor hasn't stepped up much so my realtor has been the mediator between us and the builder.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:53 AM

Also, would it make any sense to remove just one part of tha clause. I think she mentioned taking the sale portion out and leaving the settlement. Or vice versa?

Old 06-25-2009, 08:23 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,897,694 times
Your Realtor® is *supposed* to be between you and the builder regardless of the builder's situation with their own representation. And it's nice for her that she would like his future listings BUT her first obligation is to YOU. If she's finding herself in a conflict of interest then she should either hand the builder off to someone else in her office or hand you off. If I were you, I would tell her to KNOCK IT OFF. She is there to protect YOU and your interests, not the builders. The contract is already signed, the language is already in there, it protects you. There is no reason I can think of to mess with it. What if you remove part of it, and then for some reason, god forbid, something happens with your present sale.... then what? You have to fight to put it back in? I don't know how the clause is worded and you don't seem clear on what exactly she's trying to remove but you should be very careful.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:41 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Out here we do remove the sale portion and just make the offer then contingent on the successful close of escrow (settlement). Buyers have been laid off a week before closing. No job means no loan. It happens. I can't imagine telling a buyer to remove the close contingency on their home. The risk is too great.

You can rephrase the contingency to reflect that you have an offer, but you have to keep the contingency clause on the successful close of that sale.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:18 AM

I think that is what she was meaning...to remove the sale portion. But what is the point if the end result is a successful close is needed?

Old 06-25-2009, 11:13 AM

637 posts, read 3,237,027 times
As other have said, there's no way I would remove the contingency from the contract... The realtor is working extra hard to please both sides to try and get the deal done so they can get paid, but his/her original obligation was to represent you, not you and the builder.

I could write a book on all the items that could possibly go wrong with a real estate transaction to prevent it from closing as many others in here could as well. Keep your contract as is.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:51 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post

Out here we do remove the sale portion and just make the offer then contingent on the successful close of escrow (settlement).

I can't imagine telling a buyer to remove the close contingency on their home. The risk is too great.
Same here. Sounds like this agent is not acting in the best interests of the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals