U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 11:35 AM

161 posts, read 427,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Let's see a typical day................

Get up by the crack of 10 am & go to the spa to get massage & pedicure. Check emails & voice mails and enjoy a catered brunch by all the local builders. Drop by bank & deposit all the closing checks from the day before.

After lunch, go home & take a nap, walk the dog. At 2pm call all our sellers and listen to them whine about all the buyers submitting low offers. At 3pm call all our buyers and encourage them to low ball a few more houses today to see if anyone is desperate.

At 4pm, exhausted from all the calls I might need another nap or head out to the boat club in my new Lexus. Go on line to make sure checks cleared the bank.

5pm forward multiple offers on several listings to sellers and convince them buyers are hard to come by & they better take offer as written with no counter offers.

5:30 -6 Go to 3 back to back closings since I'll need the money to pay off my new condo in Colorado.

7:00 Dinner, go dancing but be home before midnight since I have another hard day tomorrow.

You do know I'm just kidding ?
That was funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 01:59 PM

1,440 posts, read 3,572,032 times
There really isn't a "typical" day although I imagine you could come close to one if you set your mind to it.

Personally, let's use Thursday and Friday of my week. Thursday brought a free morning, an afternoon floor shift with a few phone calls tying together loose ends for a closing next week and an evening visiting some clients working on a house they're buying, home by seven. Friday (today) is a day off more or less. Home with the dogs and birds, being here on the forum, a few minutes with some clients this evening (paperwork) and then a couple hours on a non RE gig at a local Vets club.

Saturday looks like a washout with clients so I'll spend some time with the son-in-law at a junkyard pulling parts for his pickup. But you never know, one or two phone calls could change everything. A new listing a client should see, somebody else rolled into town unexpectedly and wants to see things, troubles with a deal. You just never know.

I've always said that this isn't a field for those who like a stable way of life where things work in a normal fashion.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:04 PM

21,871 posts, read 12,747,135 times
More than anything, I think you have to be reminded that you are starting your own new business in a brand new field. Starting any new business will require lots of time and effort. The best education I had was shadowing my Broker for the first 6 months.

I learned what to do and what not to do

Old 08-28-2009, 10:23 PM

11,874 posts, read 9,330,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Let's see a typical day................

Get up by the crack of 10 am & go to the spa to get massage & pedicure. Check emails & voice mails and enjoy a catered brunch by all the local builders. Drop by bank & deposit all the closing checks from the day before.

After lunch, go home & take a nap, walk the dog. At 2pm call all our sellers and listen to them whine about all the buyers submitting low offers. At 3pm call all our buyers and encourage them to low ball a few more houses today to see if anyone is desperate.

At 4pm, exhausted from all the calls I might need another nap or head out to the boat club in my new Lexus. Go on line to make sure checks cleared the bank.

5pm forward multiple offers on several listings to sellers and convince them buyers are hard to come by & they better take offer as written with no counter offers.

5:30 -6 Go to 3 back to back closings since I'll need the money to pay off my new condo in Colorado.

7:00 Dinner, go dancing but be home before midnight since I have another hard day tomorrow.

You do know I'm just kidding ?
Ah dang - I was about to sell my offices and come work there

Old 08-29-2009, 01:15 PM

13,740 posts, read 31,556,293 times
I have a 7 and 9 year old and have been an agent for 5 years so I'll give you my input...

1) I never worked for a company that required floor time. I worked for an independent firm and then started my own. Consider a small successful independent firm for the most flexibility. BUT more important is to pick a company with a broker that will train you well. Lose some flexibility for good training. You will reap the rewards for this later in your career.

2) You need to have good flexible day care. Unless you want to spend money to put your kids in day care everyday when you have nothing to do, find an "as needed" day care provider. I have a 14 year old do my nanny work for me in the summer. She loves money and I love that I can call her with a couple hours notice to watch the kids.

3) If you want to make money, you will have to work many evenings and weekends when you get started...unless you want to put your kids in day care. That way your kids can be home with hubby while you work. It is a little crazy for a few years, but it takes a while to build a real estate business and my kids are in school full time now, so the timing worked well for me.

4) I have volunteered at my kids school for 4 years now. I am there one day a week. I go to swim lessons, soccer games, etc. All my clients know I have kids and the fact that I am up on kid friendly things is a HUGE pull for clients to use me. I can tell them class sizes and many other things that older agents without school aged kids can't tell them. Use your kids to your advantage.

5) It is crazy making. As an agent you are "on" all the time. That incredible flexibility (which I love) has consequences. I have answered my phone in the car only to have a kid argument break out in the back seat. You have to learn to not be stressed by these situations.

6) It is not easy. Don't have visions of a smooth balanced life in real estate. It takes practice to figure out how to make your schedule work.

7) I work pretty much every Saturday, but maybe one Sunday a month. I personally would rather work in the evenings during the week with clients so that I can have a weekend day off. I also strongly encourage previewing as many of your clients homes as possible before showing them. It makes no sense to waste you or your clients time seeing homes that are a bad fit for them. I value my Saturdays too...

8) You have to learn to work in "cracks" of time. If you get to school early for the kids, check your email or return a quick call. You have to have an iPhone or blackberry to keep yourself organized. Be proficient at texting. You can still do that while the kids are yelling at each other.

Anyway...that's my input as a parent with younger children. Doable, but hard.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:32 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,113,982 times
My opinion is, it depends on what company you work with and your BIC. I know in my area some companies require floor duty and some do not. Some require you go to weekly sales meeting and some don't require you attend any of them. One thing I can say is that you get back what you put into it. If you want to work part time and a very flexible schedule you will probably get less out of it but if you work at least a 40+ hour week you can do well. Just like George Chong (above) said, you have to treat it like you are starting a business because essentially that is what you are doing. As far as nights and weekends, I think it depends on what area you are in so you might want to ask local agnets what their schedule is like. When I lived in NJ, most of the Realtors I knew worked a lot of nights and weekends because that's when people were off from work and could go to showings. Where I live now it seems like most Realtors don't work at night (except emailing and sending listings) and even on the weekends most seem to take off. A lot of our clients are from out of town and want to see properties during the day. Good luck.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:36 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,048,849 times
If you want it bad enough you can do it. I got stationed 70 miles away from the city where my wife started RE. For two years she commutted 70 miles each way several days a week with a 3 year old at home and the last year while she was pregant. We did have her mother living with us so child care for our daughter was taken care of. She still had very good production both years.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:25 AM

4,824 posts, read 12,478,331 times
Rule of thumb: 5000 productive hours to critical mass. Critical mass being where no matter what you do, there will always be business coming in your door. May not be as much, but there will be some. 10000=40hrs per week x 50 wk/year x 5 yrs. or 10000=20 hr per wk x 50 wk/yr x 10 yrs.

I would recommend taking Buffini's 100 Days to Greatness no matter where you go.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:48 PM

8,844 posts, read 17,440,566 times
Typical day: Lots of stress and troubleshooting with seller/buyer/inspection/closing appointments mixed in at random times. And of course you need to find time to prospect or you won't make it either.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:33 PM

5,264 posts, read 8,047,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
5) It is crazy making. As an agent you are "on" all the time. That incredible flexibility (which I love) has consequences. I have answered my phone in the car only to have a kid argument break out in the back seat. You have to learn to not be stressed by these situations.
My poor kids. You have never seen two kids shut up so quick as when mom picks up the phone.

It's humorous actually - they're 14 & 12 now and I've worked from home since they were babies ... if the phone rings, one of them immediately grabs the remote to mute the tv and they clam up instantly. They know what side their Disney/Universal vacations are buttered on. LOL

They're great advertising too - if they hear friend's parents are buying/selling, they're quick to pipe up, "My mom's a Realtor!" Good girls!

My days are flexible. Super flexible. I haven't done a damn thing today except do laundry and eat Fritos. I also don't work Sundays. At all.

On the other hand, sometimes I'm working from 6am till 11pm with only bathroom breaks. Sometimes I yearn for the days that I worked in the concrete jungle from 9 to 5 ... and then I remember that I've been blessed to be a WAHM with my kids from almost day one.

And then I also remember that I really don't take direction well from authorities. I suck at being an employee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals