Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 12:57 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times

Advertisements

We're considering a move to another state and really want to work with someone who knows the neighborhoods, will stick to our price range, etc. How do you do that from afar? Usually we'd just ask people we know for referrals, but we don't anyone there. How has everybody else handled this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 01:34 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,095,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
We're considering a move to another state and really want to work with someone who knows the neighborhoods, will stick to our price range, etc. How do you do that from afar? Usually we'd just ask people we know for referrals, but we don't anyone there. How has everybody else handled this?
Bande, the most convenient way might be to post your query in the state forum of your choice right here at City-Data!

If you don't mind getting PMs or email directly from realtors who may post in a state forum, then post a description of the area and type of property you are seeking and invite them to PM or email you directly.

If you prefer to get referrals only from City-Data regulars who are not in the business, that's fine too, but you'll need to make that clear.

Or you may wish to hear from both the local realtors and the "civilians" -- your choice. Just make your preference known, either way.

Our Terms of Service [forum rules] do not permit advertising in the forums, so although pros in the business may reply to your topic, real estate agents' and brokers' website links can't be posted here (that's advertising) and will need to be sent to you personally, so make sure that the PM and emailing capabilities are enabled in your profile.

Good luck!

Old 05-01-2007, 01:41 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,002 times
where are you moving to? that may get someone to put their 2 cents in

Old 05-01-2007, 01:50 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
Thanks, Figment07, good idea

dncngrl1964--I want to move to San Antonio part of Texas, but outside of the city. So I'm thinking New Braunfels/Canyon Lake or Schertz. I'm currently in MD so can't easily drive down there. I requested information from the Chamber of Commerce, Visitor's Center and am completely overwhelmed by the choices.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:53 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Thanks, Figment07, good idea

dncngrl1964--I want to move to San Antonio part of Texas, but outside of the city. So I'm thinking New Braunfels/Canyon Lake or Schertz. I'm currently in MD so can't easily drive down there. I requested information from the Chamber of Commerce, Visitor's Center and am completely overwhelmed by the choices.
ok let me help you go to the texas forum and ask your question there tell them the areas you want to look into and I am sure you will hear alot of wanted or unwanted comments also read the other forums in there maybe it will answer your question anyway?? Good Luck

Old 05-01-2007, 03:10 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
Definitely ask the locals here on city-data for referrals. IMO the realtors that are taking the time to email you probably aren't that good. Good realtors get all the referrals they need by word of mouth.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:43 PM

112 posts, read 760,008 times
If you're working with a national firm to sell your house, you could ask your agent to call an office from his/her company down in TX and "interview" some agents for you. We do it all the time for people moving out of the area.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:07 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,321,211 times
Wink A Matter of Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Definitely ask the locals here on city-data for referrals. IMO the realtors that are taking the time to email you probably aren't that good. Good realtors get all the referrals they need by word of mouth.
???? While I would agree that asking the local posters for recommendations is an excellent idea, I'm not sure I agree with Christina's other remark. If a realtor won't take time to email you now, then (s)he may not have time for you when you're working with them. It's true that busy agents may feel it's "not worth their time" to email you. And there may be agents on the forum that are just trolling for clients. But, there's also a lot of good agents on the forum that truly enjoy being helpful. For many of us, that's the reason we're in this business . . . to help people with their real estate needs.

I think you can probably get a good idea about an agent in another state by visiting with two or three over the phone and asking questions specifically about the service they will be providing to you and about their knowledge of current market conditions in their area. Also, you might want to choose an agent that has gone the extra mile to obtain certifications such as ABR, GRI or CRS. It's usually an indication that they're dedicated to customer service.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:09 PM

279 posts, read 1,859,259 times
Whenever I look at houses through Yahoo's real estate, I get calls from realtors. I like to look at houses all over so now I put a wrong # in the information section. But if you start looking around the internet listings someone will call you.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:30 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
???? While I would agree that asking the local posters for recommendations is an excellent idea, I'm not sure I agree with Christina's other remark. If a realtor won't take time to email you now, then (s)he may not have time for you when you're working with them. It's true that busy agents may feel it's "not worth their time" to email you. And there may be agents on the forum that are just trolling for clients. But, there's also a lot of good agents on the forum that truly enjoy being helpful. For many of us, that's the reason we're in this business . . . to help people with their real estate needs.
I was referring to realtors that solicit new business via email (and PMs). For example I made the mistake of emailing a chamber of commerce for info, and they gave my email address to multiple realtors. I got bombarded with emails. I would not use any service professional (doctor, beautician, babysitter, realtor, etc.) without recommendations from others who have worked with the person. Of course, once you select a realtor, if you prefer to communicate via email, the realtor should be willing to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals