Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 08:48 PM

4 posts, read 7,767 times

Advertisements

I spoke to an agent last night who informed me that at the end of the $8,000 first time home buyers incentive there will be another on for $14,000 for all home buyers. He said the final word has not come down yet but they were hoping to see it anyday. Does anyone know about this and what is needed to qualify. We just bought our home 6 months ago and we hate it. I am ready to put it on the market but if there is an incentive for all home buyers coming up I am going to wait a couple of months. Does anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 08:55 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,155,825 times
This is speculation at this point. Congress and the Administration are looking at extending the 8k credit or some variation of it. You'll have to wait until Congress acts. Just pay attention to the news.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:56 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,802,928 times
First, no point in waiting for what might be a pipe-dream. Right now, the deadline is $8k for 1st time buyers. First time buyers need to know they should not wait for the hope of a larger tax credit, because it might not happen. If something were to happen, it would probably be a last minute thing, to still encourage people to get off the fence now and not wait.

Second, I've never heard the number $14k. The two numbers I've heard are $15k and $12k.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:02 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,273,868 times
Here's a link to a current news story about it:

Homebuyer Tax-Credit Extension Gains Lawmaker Support (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

It would be great if he could get enough support to pass the bill. I'm certainly worried that the small increase we've been seeing lately in sales will peter out once the November 30th deadline passes. However, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:06 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
The agent may also be talking about the Neighborhood Stabilization Funds that should be coming available soon.

The amounts vary for each area but in my county you can get up to $50,000. $20,000 towards downpayments, interest rate buydowns, etc and $30,000 towards repairs.
It has to be a primary residence and you must purchase a foreclosure but you do not need to be a first time home buyer.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:16 PM

15,574 posts, read 40,417,480 times
I think I'm one of the few real estate agents that doesn't support extending the tax credit. While it would be helpful to me personally and my business, we have greater ills in our economy that need to get corrected.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:45 AM

1,177 posts, read 4,155,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I think I'm one of the few real estate agents that doesn't support extending the tax credit. While it would be helpful to me personally and my business, we have greater ills in our economy that need to get corrected.
I'm with you on this one Silverfall. It's akin to applying a bandaid and a little Demerol to a gunshot wound....it temporarily makes some people feel better without addressing the real and deeper problems....better known as a 'typical government fix'. Government has a history/habit of using money as a narcotic to calm certain groups, if not the masses.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:39 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,781,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbone View Post
I'm with you on this one Silverfall. It's akin to applying a bandaid and a little Demerol to a gunshot wound....it temporarily makes some people feel better without addressing the real and deeper problems....better known as a 'typical government fix'. Government has a history/habit of using money as a narcotic to calm certain groups, if not the masses.
Sadly, gbone, you have punished the nail with authority. Not only is this just doing more backloading of the deficit unless there is some kind of tax offset for it, but it does indeed fail, as you said, to put restrictions on the use of the instruments that caused the real estate collapse to begin with.

And it figures that Chris Dodd would be involved in this, huh (keep in mind that I'm a Democrat, so I don't like saying this, but I also fancy the truth)? Unfortunately, though, Dodd has plenty of company in the financial industry's pockets on both sides of the aisle.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:46 AM

4 posts, read 7,767 times
Smile Thank You So Much

Thank you so much for all the responses. They were really helpful and give us a lot to think about. I will keep watching the news and I will keep reading additional replies that come in for the question I have posted. Again, thank you all so much!

Old 09-18-2009, 07:51 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I know NAR is pushingthis but I'm like you. I was wondering how people felt about their tax dollars going to others for this purpose ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals