Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 09:01 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,785 times

Advertisements

OH VERY STRONG. I was with ERA for SEVERAL years. and my address was shelly@era.com A great easy to remember email addy. I am not with them any longer and it has taken quite awhile to retouch everyone that that email address touched. I will never, ever, ever have an email addy that isn't generic and portable. So I would never, ever, ever work for you. I am working on my epro and will be setting up an email addy with my domain name, but I will still capture and forward all my emails with my gmail account.

shelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 09:04 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I mean the client belongs to the principal broker not the agent.
and I am sorry but I disagree with this statement.
The client relationship belongs to ME.
The client transaction belongs to the broker.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:12 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,008,541 times
I'm sure you'll get agents who won't mind having a company email - they will be green agents though. Seasoned, experienced agents would probably never agree to that.

That's waaaaaaay too micromanaging if you ask me.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:25 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenRice View Post
I'm sure you'll get agents who won't mind having a company email - they will be green agents though. Seasoned, experienced agents would probably never agree to that.

That's waaaaaaay too micromanaging if you ask me.
Nope he is a seasoned agent. He's good. Has a master's degree like me. I'm just not an unreasonable person. I do agree that the client relationship belongs to the agent which is why I'd be okay forwarding the email for a while in the event he left. I personally think gmail and aol email accounts look unprofessional and don't want that image for my company. It makes it look like real estate is a hobby. My job is still to protect my company and its image.

If someone is so upset about having a company email address then they wouldn't be the right fit for my company anyway. So I guess it ends up being a good screening tool.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:29 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I get what he's saying. I mean the client belongs to the principal broker not the agent. If a situation arose, I would want to have access to any email communications back and forth between the brokerage's client and the brokerage in order to straighten things out.

If it looked like my brokerage was going to be sued, I'd want easy access to those emails.
I absolutely agree. The beautiful thing is if a broker associate wants to keep all the clients and leads all they need to do is pay their dues, so to speak, get their brokers license and work as an independent. They can pay the overhead, marketing, deal with the hassles that go along with it and not have any splits, retain all of the clients and leads. I'm sure there are a lot of independent brokers out there who know their stuff and do great. One doesn't have to work for a brokerage to be successful if one knows what they're doing - work as an independent, keep it all and problem solved. Sounds like a win/win to me for agents who want the ability to keep the clients and leads they generated through their affiliation with a brokerage - take away the brokerage and work as an independent then problem solved. At least IMO

Old 10-02-2009, 09:29 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
I don't disagree with that, but the law does. If agents want to be backed by the company in the event of a lawsuit, it means protecting the company as well.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:33 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
I am thinking this might be another " state" thing. Here, the legal relationship is between the broker and the client. The broker designates the agent on paper. The first and only time the broker learns it has a new client is when the agent turns in the listing and required disclosures on the listing side or the executed contract and disclosures, after acceptance by the seller, when representing the buyer.

In practice, the client relationship belongs to the agent. If the agent leaves his/her broker, the agent asks the client to cancel the original contract and execute a new contract with the new broker.

My broker provides an email account as well as a template for a website. Agents can use these facilities, or not. No one is required to use the broker's facilities.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:37 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,008,541 times
Around here if you leave your brokerage, chances are any listings you have stay with the broker unless the broker is feeling generous and allows you to take the listings with you. Most often though any buyer clients you have just go with you - my brokerage uses a non exclusive buyer agency agreement that expires in one day and is only extended by mutual agreement....

Old 10-03-2009, 09:17 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Go to eproNAR.com and look up how many epro's are in your state, then in your city.

We are in a "me too" business.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:41 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
For those of you who are salespersons, I think you really need to understand that the potential liability for your actions ends up squarely on the brokers lap, not yours. It's why I pay dearly for E&O insurance for my company. I don't micromange or even bother to monitor my agents email (as if I would have the time or inclination to do so), but if an issue comes up or any sort of lawsuit or claim arises, I do need to have the ability to retrieve email communications to defend against the claim. If an agent uses a hotmail account or something similar, it's way too easy to make all the records go away or not be accessible.

I would think that any employing broker would be out of his mind not to insist on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals