Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 11:15 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,575,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie89402 View Post
...since we are getting an FHA loan we need to have an additional FHA inspection that we are having trouble setting up ourselves.
Shouldn't your lender be scheduling the FHA appraisal/inspection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 11:48 AM

244 posts, read 747,219 times
"When we finally put in a winning bid, it seemed like our agent started completely ignoring us. We have asked him to show us one of the comps in the area just to get a more secure feeling and he has refused, saying he is too busy."

Your agent showed you over thirty houses, you retracted a bid and then put in a winning bid. Your agent should be in contact with you to keep you abreast of what is going on with the home inspection,appraisal, etc. The process of finding a home is complete why would he go show you other properties? Believe me if you over paid the appraiser will let you know. He does have other clients and needs to focus on finding them a home also. As long as he is in contact with you I do not see a reason for him to continue showing you properties.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:22 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
Quote:
.....the feeling that as soon as the agent was certain he was going to get paid.....
The only time I am certain I'm going to get paid is when the title company calls me and tells me the transaction has recorded. An accepted offer in escrow holds almost no certainty as far as I'm concerned.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:55 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
iWe are really excited about our house, actually - the reason we wanted to see the vacant house next door is that they did a similar remodel to the one that we are thinking of doing (turning the 1 bedroom/den into a second bedroom) and our floor plans are the same. We are going back to our house later this week to do the termite inspection, so we figured it would be an easy time to stop into the house next door... maybe he is just too busy with other people right now though. The kinds of questions we are asking are about our loans and the inspection - since we are getting an FHA loan we need to have an additional FHA inspection that we are having trouble setting up ourselves.

FHA doesn't require any additional inspections. You don't even have to do a home inspection for FHA, but they strongly, strongly recommend it. They used to require a P&D, but now its only recommend and not required.

I would direct your loan questions to your mortgage broker as they are in the best position to answer those questions.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:51 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
When we started this house-buying process, we knew our agent would have a lot to deal with. We are both first-time home buyers and each tending toward "Type-A."

We are, however, honest, loyal and reasonable, so we figured as long as we could find an agent with similar qualities, we would be okay.

Once we found an agent, we were shown over 30 homes. We put in an offer on one and retracted soon after we realized the adjacent two homes were abandoned and there was a bar moving in across the street. (A time when "comps" would have been nice.) When we finally put in a winning bid, it seemed like our agent started completely ignoring us. We have asked him to show us one of the comps in the area just to get a more secure feeling and he has refused, saying he is too busy. We have already signed a buyers contract with him so we feel like he has no more interest in helping us - what can we do to feel more secure about this deal? I don't want to go crying to the brokerage manager, but we feel so completely screwed and ignored that we don't know what else to do. Our emails are ignored, and then responded to days later passive aggressively.
If you really want to see the house maybe offer $150 to the owners, to go in and see it, and just be honest about your situation. Though if you like the house and have done your research you might just be having cold feat.
Though if you think there's something wrong and you don't want the house, or you find something bad later on, then you should get out on one of the contingencies(depending on your contract). If you don't think your Realtor will look out for your best interests if you back out(from what you've told us sounds like he won't) you should go see an attorney, if this is the case.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:

We have asked him to show us one of the comps in the area just to get a more secure feeling and he has refused, saying he is too busy.
I rarely have the opportunity to work with first time home buyers because the price point of my local market does not support them.

Assuming this " comp" is an active comp, meaning it's for sale, I would have insisted you see it before you made an offer because I am mitigating the potential for buyer's remorse.

If however, it's a closed sale...well that's someone else's property now, and not going to happen.

What's the price point of the home you have under contract?

Old 10-09-2009, 10:18 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,575,100 times
Quote:
...the reason we wanted to see the vacant house next door is that they did a similar remodel to the one that we are thinking of doing (turning the 1 bedroom/den into a second bedroom) and our floor plans are the same. We are going back to our house later this week to do the termite inspection, so we figured it would be an easy time to stop into the house next door... ..
You've probably already resolved this, but is the house next door actively for sale? If so, and your agent is meeting you there anyway for inspection, it may be a simple thing to walk over and see it assuming it's on electronic lockbox. You can suggest this when you see him at the inspection. If not for sale, then your agent will not have access to it.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:42 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Send him a nice thank you note. You have taken up a lot of his time. He is not the enemy. He helped you contract for a nice place, that comps may or may not have shown the houses next door were vacant. What comp (sold comps are what matter) will let you make an appointment to see inside?

Now that you are under contract, ask him what to expect next. Take one thing at a time, then go to the next thing.

I think being focused, and polite, has a lot of merit here.
Me likes this advice.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:41 PM

353 posts, read 802,234 times
30 houses is nothing.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:56 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,562 times
Quote:
The kinds of questions we are asking are about our loans and the inspection - since we are getting an FHA loan we need to have an additional FHA inspection that we are having trouble setting up ourselves.
Unless it is different where you are.... the appraiser your lender sends to the house is approved to do FHA appraisals, which means they will also be "inspecting" for FHA. You are correct in that FHA makes sure the house is habitable and there aren't serious issues that can be seen (holes in roof, etc), but you are not the person scheduling this. The appraiser will contact the listing agent for access to the property.

You are acting like a true first time home buyer. Trying to do all your due diligence. But in the end, probably OVER complicating the process. Let your lender and your agent know that they need to walk you through the steps and unless you hear from them, you pretty much won't be doing anythng : ) I bet they have it under control.

Oh, and CONGRATS on your new home. Now Breathe!! and remember, waking up in the middle of the night convinced the bank is crazy for lending you that crazy amount of money..... you are not alone. We all did that the first time : )

shelly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals