Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2009, 05:09 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,066,703 times

Advertisements

I have come across something I have not experienced before...

A property is being sold by trustee to owner. She is elderly. Their attorney is handling closing. I was fine up to there. Then I find out, after check is deposited with said attorney that the actual title agent is in house, that is ok too, but the agent who is doing the searching and so forth is actually the trustee for the seller, her mother.

Is this legal practice? I am sure it probably is, but it makes me feel vulnerable from the buyers point of view and sellers are the ones electing the location for the closing. Does anyone out there know this?

I will email my friendly title company locally tomorrow and ask same thing, would like to know sooner rather than later though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 05:43 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,261,507 times
My husband who is a Licensed Insurance agent said:
it is legal
BUT it would be good to get a letter from the underwriter for the title company stating it is OK to proceed with the transaction, as it is indeed a conflict of interest.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:59 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,066,703 times
sorry to sound dim, but do you mean from the insurance company or the title company, as owners daughter IS the title company I think she is the only person at the attorneys office that does the title work.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:05 PM

The daughter, a.k.a title agent, MUST HAVE AN UNDERWRITER COMPANY that she does these title policies for.....THE company that she is writing this for should give her a letter stating it is OK for her to process this transaction.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:09 PM

example: my husband is a title agent, one of his underwriters companies is Chicago title, this lady should have a similar underwriter who is going to write the policies for her...she will need a letter from them, this is called an "arm's length" transaction, meaning the party doing the transaction is also RELATED to the transaction.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:51 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,566,420 times
I think you will get better responses if this thread is moved to the Real Estate- or Real Estate Professionals- Forum.

Even though title insurance will be issued, I would be personally concerned about the title search being performed by a relative. I looked through NOLO, but there was just too much to read.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:16 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,520,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
...... and sellers are the ones electing the location for the closing. Does anyone out there know this?
In my neck of the woods, the seller's title company and attorney determine the time and place of closing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals