Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 05:34 PM

607 posts, read 2,431,327 times

Advertisements

Realtors, realtors come out wherever you are!!

My husband and I just increased the sellers commission by 1/2% to see if that gets them more "motivated". Have you seen that tactic, and do you think it works??

Any feedback welcome.

Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 05:42 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Liz, I'd like to know how you accomplished that. We can't seem to get any realtor to agree to it, though I've been told numerous times that in negotiating a listing agreement it's important to make sure the selling agent should get more than 50% of the commission. The standard response we get is "all the realtors around here are giving 50% which is standard". Period.
How do you induce a realtor to consider 60%? We have definitely decided to sell our NH home, and would like that to be part of the contract to motivate other agents to show the home (market is very difficult in NH right now, prices are down, lots of people trying to sell)

Old 05-08-2007, 06:43 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
Realtors, realtors come out wherever you are!!

My husband and I just increased the sellers commission by 1/2% to see if that gets them more "motivated". Have you seen that tactic, and do you think it works??

Any feedback welcome.

Liz
yes sometimes if you raise the commission to the one who brings in the buyer it causes more activity 3.5% and up usually works well
but make sure that the house is priced right also or there still won't be enough activity

Old 05-08-2007, 01:30 PM

607 posts, read 2,431,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Liz, I'd like to know how you accomplished that. We can't seem to get any realtor to agree to it, though I've been told numerous times that in negotiating a listing agreement it's important to make sure the selling agent should get more than 50% of the commission. The standard response we get is "all the realtors around here are giving 50% which is standard". Period.
How do you induce a realtor to consider 60%? We have definitely decided to sell our NH home, and would like that to be part of the contract to motivate other agents to show the home (market is very difficult in NH right now, prices are down, lots of people trying to sell)
My realtor suggested to bring the commission for the seller (whoever that may be) to 3.5% instead of 3%. My realtor will keep hers at 3%. I sure hope this works!! Our house is priced very well, in fact, I think it is below what it should be at. What we are up against is the backyard. It has a pool/jacuzzi and fire pit, and that is about it. People want all that plus a large lawn. That is our only problem.

Liz

Old 05-08-2007, 01:49 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Default I am confused with your terminology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post

Liz
Would you possibly mean the selling commission to the selling agent or the buyers agent?

I mean aren't you the sellers - and are getting the equity minus the selling costs?

Just checking.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:53 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,322,478 times
There are a lot of realtors that really advocate increasing the commission to the selling agent or a bonus to the selling agent. Problem is, it's still the BUYER who determines which home he's going to purchase. Have you considered some sort of incentive to the buyer, such as paying some closing costs, or some sort of perk to the buyer (such as "free hot tub valued to $3000 with acceptable contract), etc. (That was probably a poor example, but you get the idea. ;-)

Old 05-08-2007, 04:54 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,105,626 times
I'm not a REA, but I'm in the process of selling and buying a home due to relocation. I'm not sure how a bigger commission to the seller's agent is an incentive. I've seen sellers offer help with closing costs as an incentive. Also, a REA acquaintance who has had a hard time selling one of her homes recently offered a buyer agent bonus out of her own 3% commission to attract prospective buyers (if the buyers don't have an agent this bonus goes directly to the buyer). Good luck.

Last edited by mlv311; 05-08-2007 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 05-08-2007, 05:13 PM

191 posts, read 712,388 times
We raised ours to 4% (out of our own pockets) and it didn't seem to help anything.

Tonight we are adding a 50" hdlp television to the listing as an incentive.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:33 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amichel View Post
We raised ours to 4% (out of our own pockets) and it didn't seem to help anything.

Tonight we are adding a 50" hdlp television to the listing as an incentive.
I've heard of this tactic though I've never actually seen it succeed. Can you update us as to your opinions on how much this helps?

Thanks

Last edited by Alpha8207; 05-09-2007 at 07:47 AM..

Old 05-09-2007, 07:46 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
I'm not a REA, but I'm in the process of selling and buying a home due to relocation. I'm not sure how a bigger commission to the seller's agent is an incentive. I've seen sellers offer help with closing costs as an incentive. Also, a REA acquaintance who has had a hard time selling one of her homes recently offered a buyer agent bonus out of her own 3% commission to attract prospective buyers (if the buyers don't have an agent this bonus goes directly to the buyer). Good luck.
ok as an agent let me give you this in black and white
on the mls there is a little section in there for agents it tells them how much they will recieve in commission when they bring a ready willing and able buyer to the closing table for that house

Do you think that if there are say 4 houses that fit my clients criteria and one is offered at 2%
there are 2 of them at 3%
and then there is one of them at 3.5%

what order will I show those houses in????
you're dang skippy
I have to make money too
I do not know which one my client will pick but when comparing apples I will pick the ripest one first

That is why you offer the bulk of your money to the buyers agent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals