Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 12:08 PM

713 posts, read 2,669,063 times

Advertisements

Hernando County and I understand that this guy might be a big cheese in the realty world. So who are THEY going to believe. Us a mere customer or Mr. Peacock?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 12:32 PM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,892,284 times
Hi Lisa,

I just sent you a PM with a request for your Orlando realtor referral and my email address.

Thanks!

LMB

Old 05-16-2007, 12:36 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,187,889 times
Great question! The fact that you asked it is commendable.

First the problems many people are having with real estate agents is not caused primarily by "sleazey" individual agents or even the brokers. I've written before how I really disslike the way the Brokerage system is set up in Florida (and, yes I'm from Florida). Basically, I believe that if we completely do away with Transaction Brokers, you would eliminate at least 50% of the complaints. Buyers agents would work exclusively for the buyer; seller's agents would work exclusively for the seller. In this case, it should be the Seller's agent's responsiblity to use his best efforts to sell the house for the hightest price, fully inform seller of the process and help him pick a listing price, protect the seller from all buyer related problems, and get the house sold in the time frame specified by the seller. It should be the Buyer's agents responsibility to negotiate aggressively on behalf of the buyer to get the very best price and contract terms possible.

WHO the heck came up with this "transaction broker" crap??? Your real estate lobbiests and your ever-so-brilliant legislators, that's who. Of course real estate agents are all going to want to be transaction agents. Who the heck wants to be an aggressive advocate for their client when they can take the easy road and sell the house at "market price" convincing both buyer and seller that its a "good deal". So, the system is set up to almost force real estate agents to take the easy "transaction agent" road, and then for clients to hate real estate agents because they didn't aggressively represent them exclusively.

How, as a transaction broker, can you possibly ever say "I did the very best I could for my client"? You really can't, because you really didn't, because as a transaction broker, you have your hands tied from doing so.

Second, the Florida Real Estate Commission (FREC) is about as pittiful of an agency you could ever have when it comes to pursuing unethical real estate agents/brokers. This is the main reason why real estate in Florida is basically the "wild wild west". So, it's easy for a few unscrupulous brokers and agents to repeatedly get away with screwing people, or teaming up with dead-beat contractors that screw people, or running timeshare scams to screw people. Why even have FREC? What a worthless bunch of lazy good-for-nothing government nimrods! Until FREC becomes far more aggressive in auditing brokers, punnishing brokers and agents based on client complaints, revoking licenses, fining and prosecuting wrong-doers, the real estate industry will have far too many bad apples spoiling it for the truly honest and hard working people in this industry.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:43 PM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,892,284 times
I'm reading here about 6% commissions to sell a house, but has anyone had a realtor ask for 7%? We met for a market appraisal recently with a realtor who said 4% goes to the buyer's agent and he takes 3%. Is that a common practice?

LMB

Old 05-16-2007, 01:55 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,189,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
Well next time your at the Dr's office ask him to cut his rates. They to are a little excessive don't ya think?

So 6% is too high. You do realize this gets split so your realtor will end up with 3% which then again is split x% to the agent the rest to the office. Please note everything else in this country has gone up to. Not sure what you gas prices are like in Florida but its $3 a gallon in Charlotte.

You could always do FSBO if you are that much against it.
Instead of responding with some answers or logic you chose to be sarcastic. I think we may have hit a little too close to home. By the way most doctors do cut their rates quite a bit. Most insurance pays by contract that may be about 20 to 25% of what you see on a bill. My wife once needed an operation on her hand and I asked the hospital what it would cost. They asked if I had insurance. I said suppose I just want to pay for it, how much. They said it was $12,000 but they would take $4000 if I paid in advance.

It turns out that is what they would have collected from the insurance company and insurance companies are notorious for stalling off paying. The hospital may wait as much as a year for them to pay, so my money in hand looks pretty good to them, especially since it is the same amount anyway. I just found that interesting. I am afraid you may have used the worst analogy you could have picked.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:06 PM

799 posts, read 3,692,369 times
You get what you pay for. If I had to cut my commission, I certainly wouldnt be staging homes and throwing in warranties or anything on my already cut in pay. Thats what the discount real estate agents do, only what they have to because that is all they are being paid for. For sale by owner does the same, they charge you for a portion of everything they do for you and if you add it all up you end up paying more in the end. If oyu have a real estate agent who is not doing what they promised, then get a new real estate agent. A bad agent doesn't mean none should be paid. I had a great r.e. agent that sold my last house and I never even comsidered asking her to lower her commission, as a matter of fact, I offered the buyers agent and additional 500.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:22 PM

627 posts, read 2,848,865 times
You are 100% correct! Many years ago I worked in Billing for a large Medical Facility and we DID cut costs for those who paid cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Instead of responding with some answers or logic you chose to be sarcastic. I think we may have hit a little too close to home. By the way most doctors do cut their rates quite a bit. Most insurance pays by contract that may be about 20 to 25% of what you see on a bill. My wife once needed an operation on her hand and I asked the hospital what it would cost. They asked if I had insurance. I said suppose I just want to pay for it, how much. They said it was $12,000 but they would take $4000 if I paid in advance.

It turns out that is what they would have collected from the insurance company and insurance companies are notorious for stalling off paying. The hospital may wait as much as a year for them to pay, so my money in hand looks pretty good to them, especially since it is the same amount anyway. I just found that interesting. I am afraid you may have used the worst analogy you could have picked.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:22 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post

No sir not being sarcastic just trying to see what other industry or profession willingly takes a pay cut.

I could have used lawyers, hair dressers, teachers, any profession. Why is it not OK to ask these guys/gals for a pay cut? I am not saying I will not negotiate my commission I will if I get to represent you on the purchase of your next home. I buy the warranties etc. I just find it funny we are always expected to deliver the goods and not gain anything from it. Take from it what you will. If you need my help I will cost 6%

Old 05-16-2007, 02:24 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHomeIsInOcala View Post
You are 100% correct! Many years ago I worked in Billing for a large Medical Facility and we DID cut costs for those who paid cash.

But I can guarantee the Dr him/herself still received the same salary. It just comes out of the profit for the facility.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:31 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,280,794 times
Wow I can not believe how many people are having trouble with Realtors. I would think that the market was so slow that they would do anything for your business. I just bought a home here in Central Florida and had an amazing realtor. He made it SO easy and had the best referrals from the mortgage company to the inspectors. We had no trouble getting him on the phone 24/7 - if he couldn't get a hold of us back he would even email us with follow-ups. He is even throwing us a home warming party because we are first time home buyers. Without him I would not have even thought of buying a house right now. He is now helping sell my parents home and is having great success even in this slow market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals