Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 11:17 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times

Advertisements

We had our house listed for a year with realtor-taken pictures, which I thought looked okay. Relisted it a few months later with different realtor and he had a professional come in and take pictures. Wow - what a difference!! I didn't know my house looked so good! Anyway, we had an offer in 6 weeks. Can't say it was the pictures, but they sure didn't hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 07:30 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoRE View Post
If I were a seller I would demand pro photos....
We just listed our house. When we interviewed the realtor, I asked her if she used a photographer or if she did her own photos. She said she takes them herself. It didn't bother me because I looked at her other listings and thought the pictures were good.

The photos are much better than those taken by a professional last time we sold.

Sometimes the photographer is better, but sometimes the realtor is. I would not have chosen a realtor whose listings had bad photos.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:19 AM

18 posts, read 51,874 times
I take lots of photos of my properties. I will even go back and take sunrise or sunset pictures, lay down on a floor to get the sweep of the staircase. I get appalled at some of the photos agents put on the MLS of homes or the ones that reuse the previous agents photos from listings. I think one of the reasons my properties get showings is because I take lots of photos and put the best ones up. I also use video marketing with direct emailings for my listings. My properties get direct views by agents the minute the listing hits the MLS.

I'm not a professional but I try to make the home look at good as I can, even when it is a fixer-upper short sale.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:41 AM

154 posts, read 624,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
My biggest pet peeve in photos?

Toliet seat up.

Ewwwwwwwww ....

Mine too! Am currently looking for house and am amazed at how many listings have that!

The more pictures the better! Whenever I see a listing that only has 4 pictures (all outside) I can't help but wonder what they're hiding. Also, if they state in the listing description 'great view' or 'pool' or anything else like that why wouldn't they include a picture of that detail?

So glad that Bird'sEye and StreetView are available!

Old 04-25-2011, 08:36 AM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,678 times
In the majority of listings I see the money would be better spent on a storage unit/dumpster and a cleaning crew.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:59 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
I take good photos - but the professional I use takes fantastic photos - so I use him. For the price, it is soooooo worth it. $80 for 40 photos and the slide show. Time saved. House looks fantastic. Client happy. Home sold faster.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:40 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
With so many buyers using the internet to find a house, your photos are your only tool the buyer will ever see. If you have poor photos, you wont sell the house. Simple as that.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:15 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
With so many buyers using the internet to find a house, your photos are your only tool the buyer will ever see. If you have poor photos, you wont sell the house. Simple as that.
I do agree with you that the photos are important. However, not the "only tool".

For example...I had buyers that were choosing the homes they wanted me to show them, based on the photos on MLS. The home they were looking for was somewhat unique so we didn't have lots of homes to choose from.

Some of the homes online had crappy photos and so they deleted those. However, I knew the n'hoods and I convinced them that we should see a couple of them.

Sometimes the photos look better than the home and sometimes the home looks better than the photos!

One of the homes that I showed them had only 3 photos and they weren't even good photos. That is the home they purchased. Seeing it in person makes all the difference even with crappy photos!

So...sometimes a knowledgable Realtor is a good tool too!!!

Vicki

Old 05-02-2011, 10:57 AM

143 posts, read 431,327 times
I always have professional photos taken on homes priced over $400,000. But like Vicki, I always tell my buyers to realize that some photos are insanely flattering and some are horrible and don't even begin to tell the true story of what might be a great house. I also explain that the listings with obviously BAD photos are more likely to be ultimately sell for a lower price.

The photos and text DO make a difference for sure in the number of showings a seller will get. Which, of course, will likely affect the ultimate sales price.

That said, I absolutely HATE fish-eye photos. They are misrepresentations, imo, of whatever space has been photographed that way. There is an ass for every seat and making a yard appear massive is a huge turnoff for buyers who are looking for low maintenance - hello, BabyBoomers. Also, those who ARE looking for a massive yard get furious when they see it is the size of a bowling lane.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:45 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,006 times
As an onsite I am responsible for taking all my own photos. I learned very early in my career what to do when it comes to taking pics for MLS. I'm not saying I am a professional but I can tell you that my pics are better than a MAJORITY of agents with listings in MLS.

That being said one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to listings in MLS....photos of the neighborhood entrance monument. I don't know why, but that just seems like a space filler to me and for some reason it irks me. If your decision to purchase a house is based on the entrance monument to the community....you my friend need some help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals