Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2010, 09:48 AM

631 posts, read 2,445,155 times

Advertisements

Once in a great while I'll get someone asking me to pay a referral fee to a relative/friend just because they have a license.

For instance. They see your advertisement, they call or email, you're working with them with info, maybe even showing, ... Then later they say, my aunt, mom, sister, friend has a real estate license, would you pay them a referral fee. Usually they don't ask if I've shown them property as as we've built a repore by then but it's happened and to note their licensee has never contacted me from start to finish so I don't know if they would actually take it.

My answer is no I would not pay them as they didn't refer you. If they would like to represent you, show you the property, or at least write the contract and take it to closing I would share the commission, but I would not pay them just because they have a license as they did not refer you.

It amazes me people would ask me that, but what amazes me even more is if a broker would actually have the nerve to accept it! It's never come to fruition because I do say no so I really don't know if mom,sister,friend would have the nerve to accept such a deal. My guess is they would take free money.
What? I'm going to call them up and say, hey, I need to send you an agreement to pay you some money, your friend is buying land! Or they'll call me up and say, hey, my cousin called you about property, I want to refer him for a fee.

I would never accept such a deal being on the other end to get something for nothing, plus I know by accepting $$ that also adds me to the liablity factor if something went wrong.

Any suggestion phrases for a nice line to explain no and why?

Now for the others if you care to read:

1. I've even had brokers ask me to l list their property as they've either had no luck selling it or are out of state and can't show it. But then they have the nerve to ask me to pay them a referral fee. I say no to those too. I suggest they keep trying to sell their property, find someone else and if they can't get the job done, I'll get it done but not at a discount. The work is the same for me whether they are brokers or not.

2. Then the trickest one of all is when a broker wants to buy my listing. I or associate have worked with her/him like any other shopper, showing the land, writing the deal, all the info.... blah blah, and representing them, then that broker wants you to pay them a commission because she/he is licensed too and they see it as a professional curtosy.
That one is a tricky one for me. Not to be greedy at all, I just can't see it their way. If they bought from me just like a layperson not in the industry and I've done the same work I can't see paying them to buy something and I don't.

I've never ever takin' a commission on anything I've bought. I called the broker, they showed, and if I bought it, I would even write up the contract just to save myself future aggravation. Now that I think of it, when I bought my first house, the broker kept calling me saying, I'm waiting on the contract! My contracts were stolen in the office(way before internet contracts) so I didn't have anything to work with. Finally I got one from someone else. I worked for a developer then so we didn't have regular forms, they were all specific to his properties. It never occured to me to ask that listing agent for a commission!

Points of view are welcome on this topic! I know I'm not a mainstream thinker here so bracing myself and looking forward to your answers & thoughts on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 10:13 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times
Referral fees are for just that, referrals. Not for being related to a principal in the deal.

I have no problem paying the 3% commission (though it would make more sense for the buyer who's an agent to pay less and not have to pay taxes on the commission from a bottom line point of view) IF THEY ARE DOING THEIR SHARE OF THE WORK. That is, after all, what the co-broke is being paid for - bringing the buyer (themselves) and doing the buyer's agent's share of the work. If they're not doing that, then, well, no. It's not a professional courtesy; it's simply the same thing as if the buyer were NOT an agent and had their own who did that share of the work, and if they don't, no, I don't pay the buyer who is unrepresented and requires me therefore to do more work for that "privilege".

Old 03-06-2010, 11:29 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,576,169 times
I agree with THL. I've purchased homes for myself and taken the buyer agent commission, but I also did all the work of the buyer agent. Negotiated, wrote the contract/counters, and all the usual closing tasks.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:01 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
I agree with THL. I've purchased homes for myself and taken the buyer agent commission, but I also did all the work of the buyer agent. Negotiated, wrote the contract/counters, and all the usual closing tasks.
Some buyer clients are a PITA, how was your's in this transaction ?

Old 03-06-2010, 01:47 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,576,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Some buyer clients are a PITA, how was your's in this transaction ?
LOL - fortunately he took my advice without complaining .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals