U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-28-2010, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Southwest Austin
5,000 posts, read 9,901,482 times
Reputation: 3497

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Brandon, odds are, if your town is like Louisville, those individual winners have a franchise, many with a RE/MAX background. Of the top 250 agents in Louisville for 2009, 73 were RE/MAX, 17 are KW (I can identify at least 5 with RE/MAX tenure), 13 are CB, 7 are ERA, 5 are Prudential, 11 are C-21, 1 is Exit, 2 are Weichert, 1 is United Country & 122 are independent. So based simply on that you could say you are correct, but let's drill down a bit more. Of the top 25, 9 are RE/MAX, 1 KW was a RE/MAX TP for years, and without exception that I can determine, the other 15 are either members of a super-independent owned by Warren Buffett, another franchise firm, or have been successful first while in a large franchise or the Buffett firm.

Yes, Brandon, success can be real for an independent, but it's the exception, not the norm.
Good grief.

All a brand can do is enhance and compliment (or hinder and restrict) the natural talents and skills of an individual agent. Nobody ever failed or succeeded because of brand affiliation. We live or die by our own efforts, more specifically, our ability to effectively Network, Prospect and/or Advertise.

If a successful ReMax agent leaves ReMax and joins a different brand, or goes independent, will the success of that agent suffer? Not unless the agent has improperly built a business dependent on affiliation with the brand, i.e. - all business comes from phone duty or corporate leads.

If a successful non-ReMax agent, either independent or other big brand, joins ReMax, will that agent enjoy greater success than before, just because of a brand change? No.

Can we point to individual anecdotal examples that seem to contradict what I just wrote? Of course. But the root of those examples will really be the people involved, not the brand. The are good and bad Brokers and Agents with every brand. There are both supportive and toxic Brokerages flying the flag of every brand.

In the end, it's the PEOPLE you choose to align with that matters, not their brand.

Look, it's nice that many agents love their company and brand and feel rah rah pride with their association. But it's juvenile and misguided to be telling other agents "my company is better than yours". That's as ridiculous as Jr. High kids screaming at each other "my school is better than yours".

Agents, pick the people/office (Broker) you want to be with, not the brand.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-28-2010, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Louisville KY Metro area
4,809 posts, read 8,260,161 times
Reputation: 1958
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Good grief.

All a brand can do is enhance and compliment (or hinder and restrict) the natural talents and skills of an individual agent. Nobody ever failed or succeeded because of brand affiliation. We live or die by our own efforts, more specifically, our ability to effectively Network, Prospect and/or Advertise.

If a successful ReMax agent leaves ReMax and joins a different brand, or goes independent, will the success of that agent suffer? Not unless the agent has improperly built a business dependent on affiliation with the brand, i.e. - all business comes from phone duty or corporate leads.

If a successful non-ReMax agent, either independent or other big brand, joins ReMax, will that agent enjoy greater success than before, just because of a brand change? No.

Can we point to individual anecdotal examples that seem to contradict what I just wrote? Of course. But the root of those examples will really be the people involved, not the brand. The are good and bad Brokers and Agents with every brand. There are both supportive and toxic Brokerages flying the flag of every brand.

In the end, it's the PEOPLE you choose to align with that matters, not their brand.

Look, it's nice that many agents love their company and brand and feel rah rah pride with their association. But it's juvenile and misguided to be telling other agents "my company is better than yours". That's as ridiculous as Jr. High kids screaming at each other "my school is better than yours".

Agents, pick the people/office (Broker) you want to be with, not the brand.

Steve
Steve, I have no clue which cup you are drinking from, but even in the face of facts, you don't wish to believe. I know for a fact that people do buy from the RE/MAX brand. If your argument was valid, billions of dollars would be redirected by automobile manufacturers who use dealers and sales agents. If you think for a moment that people buy the agent before they buy the car or the dealer, you definitely have been MISLED. Yes, once an agent is engaged and once they establish a relationship with a client, that client may follow the agent for a long time, but NAR stats prove that only 1 in 11 homebuyers/sellers use the agent they used before.

I can speak for RE/MAX training. It's there! It's here! It's everywhere. Whether in person to person coaching, webinars, formal classrooms, or on the web at 3:00 AM, RE/MAX training does make a huge difference without hype and brainwashing.

There is no corporate "culture" at RE/MAX, there are thousands of independent brokers, offices, and agents meeting and matching needs. I have never had to "sell" a recruit once they start thinking and stop emotionalizing their reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2010, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Southwest Austin
5,000 posts, read 9,901,482 times
Reputation: 3497
Hi Tom,

I'm drinking from the cup of reality and perspective.

Look, I don't have a dog in this fight. I'm a KW fan, but I left the company, not because I don't like them, but because my wife and I don't need brand/franchise support, no matter the franchise.

And I wouldn't be so arrogant or vapid to proclaim that every agent in every U.S. market ought to be with KW because they're "better than the rest". Such a proclamation, in my opinion, would make me a moron.

I chimed in only because I find your "ReMax is Best!" assertions amusing, curious and insulting to all intelligent people. Your so-called "facts" are easily refuted by a different set of "facts", similar to listening to politicians debate so-called "facts". All major real estate franchises can and do slice and dice the "facts" to make their franchise look the best in different ways.

From the KW press release site:

Quote:
... we envision becoming the No. 1 real estate franchise in North America and even further expansion globally in the coming years,” Willis added.

In addition to being named the third-largest real estate franchise in the United States by REAL Trends, the company received accolades throughout the year including:

- Entrepreneur magazine, No. 1 ranked real estate franchise on the 31st Annual Franchise 500 list

- J.D. Power and Associates, highest in overall satisfaction ratings from home buyers among the largest full-service real estate firms for the second year in a row

- Inman News, President and COO Mary Tennant named one of the 100 Most Influential Leaders in Real Estate

- Swanepoel TRENDS Report survey, No. 1 Industry Trendsetter of 2009 and 2009 Most Recognizable Real Estate Franchise Brand

- REAL Trends 500, Keller Williams offices comprised more than a quarter of the entire list, and of the major brands represented in the report, was the only company to boast growth in both number of agents added to its ranks and in total transactions closed.

- RISMedia’s Power Broker Report, KW again had the largest majority of offices on the list – accounting for 35 percent of all the brokerages listed and was No.1 in number of agents and total closed transactions.

- Stevie Awards, Sales Training and Coaching Program of the Year for MAPS Coaching
Whatever. Go to the ReMax press release page and you'll find similar accolades making ReMax look like the "best". Same with C21, CB, etc. Who cares?

Any agent who decides which Brokerage to affiliate with based on this sort of stuff, instead of face to face evaluation of local Brokerage options and market factors, as well as agent's needs, is utilizing a poor selection process.

Any buyer or seller who picks an agent based solely on national brand affiliation is using a poor selection process.

But you go on believing what you want to believe and I'll go on knowing what I know. Just stop trying to cram your opinions and "facts" about ReMax down everyone's throats as if those things matter at the individual agent level. It's insulting to us and damaging to your credibility.

Steve

Last edited by austin-steve; 03-28-2010 at 02:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2010, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Louisville KY Metro area
4,809 posts, read 8,260,161 times
Reputation: 1958
Steve, it was never my attempt to sound callus, arrogant, or any other description but to simply share facts. I appologize for writing as such. What you fail to comprehend is that I too walked away from RE/MAX, Coldwell Banker, and Prudential. I have been there, done that. In 2008, many years too long afterwards, after looking at KW, Weichart, GMAC and many other franchises, I found my way back to RE/MAX. I regret it took me so long, because i have seen the other side, actually fought against franchising just as you are, but I realized I would never be able to take full advantage of the great opportunities of a real estate without being part of the RE/MAX network again.

The legacy of this thread goes back to simply explaining the RE/MAX traditional fee and split system. It was written to counter all the emotional charges that RE/MAX is all about fees when in fact the RE/MAX compensation plan offers professional agents the greatest financial opportunities of any real estate brokerage, independent or franchised, in today's market. Simply facts..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2010, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Southwest Austin
5,000 posts, read 9,901,482 times
Reputation: 3497
Real estate is a consultative sales occupation. Those of us who are successful at it understand this. We have to be great consultants, which means understanding and evaluating a lot of different variables and circumstances and helping those we serve arrive at good decisions that fit their particular needs.

If a buyer comes into Austin and asks "where is the best place for me to buy a house and live?", what sort of agent do you think I'd be if I named a neighborhood and house without understanding or knowing anything else about that buyer?

And if an agent asks "which company should I hang my license with?", what sort of professional consultant would name a single company without understanding or knowing more about the person asking the question?

That's my gripe with anyone who says "Company X is the Best!". The question is one of fit and compatibility. No one company can be the best fit for every agent, in every market, under every circumstance. Anyone who doesn't understand this has no business calling themselves a consultant.

The compensation structure would be just one of many factors to consider when deciding which Brokerage might offer the best fit and best chance for the long term success of an agent.

Saying otherwise is as ridiculous as saying that Italian men make the "best" husbands, or redheads are the "best" wives, or that dogs are "better" pets than cats.

So go ahead and be a ReMax fan and share with others why that company offers the best fit for your particular set of wants and needs, but don't try to say it's a "better" company, or that it has the "best" compensation plan, or that it's agents are "better" than other agents. OK?

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2010, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Louisville KY Metro area
4,809 posts, read 8,260,161 times
Reputation: 1958
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Real estate is a consultative sales occupation. Those of us who are successful at it understand this. We have to be great consultants, which means understanding and evaluating a lot of different variables and circumstances and helping those we serve arrive at good decisions that fit their particular needs.

If a buyer comes into Austin and asks "where is the best place for me to buy a house and live?", what sort of agent do you think I'd be if I named a neighborhood and house without understanding or knowing anything else about that buyer?

And if an agent asks "which company should I hang my license with?", what sort of professional consultant would name a single company without understanding or knowing more about the person asking the question?

That's my gripe with anyone who says "Company X is the Best!". The question is one of fit and compatibility. No one company can be the best fit for every agent, in every market, under every circumstance. Anyone who doesn't understand this has no business calling themselves a consultant.

The compensation structure would be just one of many factors to consider when deciding which Brokerage might offer the best fit and best chance for the long term success of an agent.

Saying otherwise is as ridiculous as saying that Italian men make the "best" husbands, or redheads are the "best" wives, or that dogs are "better" pets than cats.

So go ahead and be a ReMax fan and share with others why that company offers the best fit for your particular set of wants and needs, but don't try to say it's a "better" company, or that it has the "best" compensation plan, or that it's agents are "better" than other agents. OK?

Steve

Steve, I have identified time and again that this discussion is about the norm, not the exception. You certainly can speak to the exception, because I don't know all the exceptions, but on the norm, I stand absolute in my knowledge of RE/MAX verses all the rest. NO one anywhere can match the RE/MAX model with all the support RE/MAX offers its agents. Before you respond again, go learn from a local RE/MAX broker just how much RE/MAX offers professional agents. Part-timers need not apply. I challenge anyone to compare the RE/MAX product with all the rest. Now, there might be certain RE/MAX brokers which are individually weak, but then that occurs in all franchises and across the board with independents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2010, 09:14 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
7,033 posts, read 11,161,829 times
Reputation: 3555
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Brandon, odds are, if your town is like Louisville, those individual winners have a franchise, many with a RE/MAX background. Of the top 250 agents in Louisville for 2009, 73 were RE/MAX, 17 are KW (I can identify at least 5 with RE/MAX tenure), 13 are CB, 7 are ERA, 5 are Prudential, 11 are C-21, 1 is Exit, 2 are Weichert, 1 is United Country & 122 are independent. So based simply on that you could say you are correct, but let's drill down a bit more. Of the top 25, 9 are RE/MAX, 1 KW was a RE/MAX TP for years, and without exception that I can determine, the other 15 are either members of a super-independent owned by Warren Buffett, another franchise firm, or have been successful first while in a large franchise or the Buffett firm.

Yes, Brandon, success can be real for an independent, but it's the exception, not the norm.
Geez Tom, get off your Re/Max high horse. The company is no better or worse than any of the other big brands. The model caters to top producers, so it would stand to reason that agents that produce high volumes would eventually head there. I'll be of the 73 you mentioned, less than 5 of them started at and were educated in the business at Re/Max. They learned from the other brands and then left to go to Re/Max. The agent trumps the company any day. You take those 73 Re/Max agents, put them at any other major brand and I'll bet most of their #'s remain the same. I'd actually say ERA has better technology, tools, and programs when compared to Re/Max.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2010, 06:15 AM
 
Location: Louisville KY Metro area
4,809 posts, read 8,260,161 times
Reputation: 1958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Geez Tom, get off your Re/Max high horse. The company is no better or worse than any of the other big brands. The model caters to top producers, so it would stand to reason that agents that produce high volumes would eventually head there. I'll be of the 73 you mentioned, less than 5 of them started at and were educated in the business at Re/Max. They learned from the other brands and then left to go to Re/Max. The agent trumps the company any day. You take those 73 Re/Max agents, put them at any other major brand and I'll bet most of their #'s remain the same. I'd actually say ERA has better technology, tools, and programs when compared to Re/Max.
Brandon, you make a very solid point. I agree that the rookie training aspect has always been a weaker spot of the RE/MAX model. Simply because the RE/MAX model and plan was/is to cater to the professional.

I am not on a RE/MAX high horse, but rather, if you will refer back to the OP simply explaining how the RE/MAX model works. This was to counter the complaints that RE/MAX fees overwhelm when in fact the sum of those fees are much less than the splits charged by other firms.

There is no other firm in the US that offers its people the total package of training, information, and procedures available through RE/MAX. That is all that I am saying. But because, we are all independently owned and operated, there will be better and worse offices throughout the system.

Last edited by tomocox; 03-29-2010 at 06:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2010, 06:52 PM
 
Location: Illinois
718 posts, read 1,142,712 times
Reputation: 949
I was a Re/Max top producer for over 13 years at the same company. The compensation was this....I paid for everything and I do mean everything and I cut a check for over $2300 to the broker to boot....every single month. My commission compensation? 100% of what I closed. Pretty simple pretty clean. I was investing in myself...I was my business under a Balloon. I received no training, no computers no nothing from Re/Max....I paid to go to work. But it was an ego boosting experience as Re/Max then only hired top producers...or they hired young agents who's working spouse had a great deal of expendable income. Fast forward to now....young agents on splits....not investing in themselves. Re/Max diluted their own system in my estimation. Brokers got greedy...cut back on the working environments such as they were...undecorated cubicles.. I agree wholeheartedly with those who say it is the Agent who brings the business and I question the 1 in 11 stat ....I am selling the same homes I sold 19 years ago...again and again for new owners. Children of former buyers and sellers are calling. They don't care what company I am with, but I am proud of the company with which I affiliated. Realty Executives....a good business model for me and my broker...a former Re/Max agent. You work where you feel good about yourself...and when that ceases you move on...and you remain the same person, hopefully. Companies are pretty much the same....you hire the individual. I was intrigued by the new Re/Max splits....were no splits when I was with them. We all change as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2010, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Louisville KY Metro area
4,809 posts, read 8,260,161 times
Reputation: 1958
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
I was a Re/Max top producer for over 13 years at the same company. The compensation was this....I paid for everything and I do mean everything and I cut a check for over $2300 to the broker to boot....every single month. My commission compensation? 100% of what I closed. Pretty simple pretty clean. I was investing in myself...I was my business under a Balloon. I received no training, no computers no nothing from Re/Max....I paid to go to work. But it was an ego boosting experience as Re/Max then only hired top producers...or they hired young agents who's working spouse had a great deal of expendable income. Fast forward to now....young agents on splits....not investing in themselves. Re/Max diluted their own system in my estimation. Brokers got greedy...cut back on the working environments such as they were...undecorated cubicles.. I agree wholeheartedly with those who say it is the Agent who brings the business and I question the 1 in 11 stat ....I am selling the same homes I sold 19 years ago...again and again for new owners. Children of former buyers and sellers are calling. They don't care what company I am with, but I am proud of the company with which I affiliated. Realty Executives....a good business model for me and my broker...a former Re/Max agent. You work where you feel good about yourself...and when that ceases you move on...and you remain the same person, hopefully. Companies are pretty much the same....you hire the individual. I was intrigued by the new Re/Max splits....were no splits when I was with them. We all change as well.
Lynn, you are absolutely correct about RE/MAX moving from its professionals only model. That was a mistake which they are attempting to correct. Fact is Brokers didn't get greedy, the agents just thought they did. I have the financial statements to prove it, too.

I agree, too, that at the current point of your career, you, the agent, are more important than the brand. However, when did that scale tip? I don't know, but facts are that Keller Williams is arguing that an individual's brand is more important than the company brand. Unfortunately, RE/MAX agents consistantly outsell KW agents in nearly every market, so lets assume that your firm, Realty Executives, believes in personal promotion and it does nothing for you. Let's assume that you could do the same thing with RE/MAX, but because you are with RE/MAX you gain 10% (about the difference in RE/MAX and KW productivity), how much money would that put in your pockets even after paying the additional fees? It may not make much difference to a $50,000 Gross Commission Income (GCI) producer, but if you are above $100,000, $150,000, $250,000 or more GCI what would an additional 10% mean to your bottom line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top