Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2007, 10:50 AM

62 posts, read 257,497 times

Advertisements

I'm a new agent in Raleigh, NC and I was wondering what the standard commission schedule is. I'll be working with a small, local firm and there are no desk fees or anything - we don't have an office yet.

Also, if a broker is too busy to commit all his time to a certain listing and he lets me do the leg work (taking measurements, pictures, putting it on mls, negotiating, etc) would it be considered normal for that broker to get a cut of the final commission?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 11:26 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
You should know all that upfront.

Your broker is there to help you get the job done, learn the business the right way, learn systems, develop checklists, learn to consistently prospect for new business to help avoid pitfalls, to make sure your work is error free, to insure that when you are doing business in the name of the brokerage - that you are doing the best job you can....

Old 06-05-2007, 12:21 PM

62 posts, read 257,497 times
Thanks for the reply. I am getting that information upfront but I'm curious to know if the structure is similar to other firms. I know all firms are different and a larger national chain may charge more. I'd like to know what the structure is in general for smaller, local firms.

Any thoughts?

Old 06-05-2007, 08:45 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
There is no such thing as a commission schedule. Based on your comment that larger franchises might charge more, I am assuming you are referring to the rate a particular company charges and not the commission split a company offers it's agents. It's a violation of federal laws for companies to create any sort of commission schedule. I work for a large franchise. Each office and company that is part of that franchise sets it's own rate. Our owners have a rate they would like us to charge, but the individual agent makes that determination.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:10 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
There is no such thing as a commission schedule. Based on your comment that larger franchises might charge more, I am assuming you are referring to the rate a particular company charges and not the commission split a company offers it's agents. It's a violation of federal laws for companies to create any sort of commission schedule. I work for a large franchise. Each office and company that is part of that franchise sets it's own rate. Our owners have a rate they would like us to charge, but the individual agent makes that determination.
Actually every place I have been the Broker sets the standard rate and Agents deviate only with permission. Agents can agree to a different rate but need a sig from the Broker to make it stick.

That is not the question asked. He wants to know what the split is.

Splits are local. Around here a beginning agent may get 50% and a seasoned strong agent 90%. The heavy hitter negotiate their own arrangements and may simply rent space and services...ie no split.

Many brokers survive on the rent. The commission percentage is nice but the $100 a month from 500 agents makes the place go...

Some companies run on that basis. Rent your desk and pay for used services.

Still others collect a rakeoff and give part of it to the agent who recruited the agent who got the commission.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:43 PM

173 posts, read 939,086 times
I'm a fairly new agent and I am on a 50-50 split. It sucks because they take half of whatever I make and they charge desk fee's.
Send me a PM if you can: I have a question for you.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:52 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
I was licensed in Texas to a broker in national chain (gold coats ). Our standard office arrangement was 50-50 split, no desk fees but any listing off a agent's sign belonged to the agent and sales leads were yours. There were set fees for sign purchase, placement, removal, E&O insurance, advertisements, special promotions etc... I am sure the most senior/productive agents has different split/fee arrangements, but like salaries they were not discussed with other agents. There was certainly not a set structure that changed as you grew more experience.

Each office can do what it wishes, but it is up to the broker to set the rules for their office. I am sure it is the same in your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals