Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 12:46 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,568,221 times

Advertisements

What's likely to occur is that savvy Realtors with an entrepreneurial spirit are going to start striking out as independents and charging lower fees. They'll leverage emerging capabilities on the Internet (e.g. Zillow - Real Estate Valuations, Homes for Sale, Free Real Estate Information) and help their clients prepare, market and sell their homes while saving thousands of dollars.

I've seen similar scenarios within the travel industry where smart travel agents switched to a flat-fee model and leveraged web-based services to obtain their clients the very best deals available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 12:47 PM

4 posts, read 48,486 times
Unhappy A related question

I love the internet to search for homes on the market in the Raleigh area and my favorite site has dropped off the face of the internet..anyone have any information about the site: hallmarkre.com??? They had great search menus and lots of photos. I have done a search but cannot locate and I never emailed a realtor directly to be able to keep in touch.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:52 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,684,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capegigi View Post
I love the internet to search for homes on the market in the Raleigh area and my favorite site has dropped off the face of the internet..anyone have any information about the site: hallmarkre.com??? They had great search menus and lots of photos. I have done a search but cannot locate and I never emailed a realtor directly to be able to keep in touch.

Try this link:

Raleigh North Carolina Real Estate - Durham NC Real Estate - Hallmark Real Estate

Old 06-13-2007, 12:53 PM

186 posts, read 549,093 times
I did mine FSBO, after getting flooded with post cards from Realtors I did interview 3, they were $70,000 apart. one was in the middle. I was like what the heck. I did sell it FSBO $252,000 in one month with just a sign in my front yard. the advertising came from other properties listed on the MLS next to mine Just like anything, do your homework, get YOUR own good property inspector, the BANKS appraiser, and a home warranty. It's hard to lose. Realtors want 6% for marketing and doing the leg work that is fine. I have seen some Realtors in action. I felt sorry for the sellers paying 6% for their service. Don't get me wrong I work with Realtors all the time. If I really wanted to sell a home I would work side by side my Realtor in advertising, baking for an open house and even contacting loan officer telling them about the property. Yeah it's just a matter of time before some techno/business man comes up with the next big thing, unless the NAR has something to say about it.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:56 PM

186 posts, read 549,093 times
P.S. I'm a guy I don't bake.... Maybe have keg stand competitions in the front yard, Beer Pong??

Old 06-13-2007, 12:57 PM

85 posts, read 322,674 times
We are 75% of the way through selling our house in a tough market in North Andover, Massachusetts. If you're not here you can believe every word about how tough the market is in this area. In our town, in our price range, there is 14 months of inventory. And 6 other houses on the market in our neighborhood of 96 homes.

I used my realtor that I used to sell my last home, in 2004 in a booming market. I honestly believe he worked his butt off and earned every penny. He did a number of email blasts, flyers mailed to other realtor's offices in eastern Mass, open houses, price moving up and down a bit to get us in the weekly blasts of new properties/price changes ... eventually we got 2 offers and both were from these other activities. All goes well we'll close on July 19 with one of them.

Anyhoo ... he did so much "beyond the internet" activity that there's no way I would have had the time or resources to do it on my own.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:13 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,679,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
Maybe in other states realtors are different, but in NY they do not do much all you need is a good Lawyer and home inspector up here, mostly all they do for a seller is put on the internet and hope it sells.

ditto. and if it doesn' sell, "drop the price"....well, sure, if you drop the price often enough, and far enough, *any* house will sell. There's no magic in that strategy.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:17 PM

111 posts, read 374,871 times
We get listing from people who try and sell their own, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and when it don't they come to a realty company after spending several dollars, some get robbed when showing and some get totally burnt.
Must be nice to be a realtor in NY if that's all they do. Here by the time you advertise it in books, newspapers, web, mls and the gas and time you've got some money invested in it. There are so many laws and so many ways to get sued if I sold my own I wouldn't even list it myself.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:18 PM

4 posts, read 48,486 times
Smile Hallmark Real Estate

Thank you Autumngal...very different site, not the original. Maybe they'll POP back up one of these days. I appreciate the suggestion.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:21 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,684,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capegigi View Post
Thank you Autumngal...very different site, not the original. Maybe they'll POP back up one of these days. I appreciate the suggestion.
A neighbor is selling with Hallmark so thought I would give it a shot for ya, ok, ciao.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals