Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 06:45 AM

982 posts, read 3,487,163 times

Advertisements

In the Northern Virginia area, things have slowed down a lot. Buyers are a little harder to come by and so are sellers. It surprises me that even though we all see what's happening, too many of us (real estate agents) who just don't get it. In this market, there are still arrogant SOBs who make the rest of us look like idiots. I can look bad on my own, I don't need anyone's help. In the last month, I received 6 referrals from other agents. Love it, keep them coming! The problem is that too many of you don't know how to treat your prospects before they become clients. Then when you ruin the relationship, you still want to make a dime and send a pissed off prospect to another agent as a referral. Why are you wasting your and another agent's time by doing something so selfish/greedy? This type of behavior is exactly what makes people think so poorly of us.

The latest referral came a couple days ago. It was for a buyer an "A" buyer who wants to purchase where I live. I could tell there was tension, but I thought the couple was fearful of the homebuying process. Turns out the initial contact from the referring agent was horrible for this couple. Surprisingly the husband was honest with me when I probed to find out why he wouldn't open up to me. The initial contact was so bad that this couple doesn't even like the company I work for anymore! They were so upset that they hired another agent from a different company.

Sometimes I think the people who hate real estate agents are right and that it's naive of me to think the work I do makes a difference. No matter how hard I try to change the perception that we're greedy, arrogant, idiots with a "used car salesmen" mentality, I run into crap like this. Since Virginia only cares that we can pass the test, not that we are skilled in dealing with the public, this will continue to happen. The question is how long can those of us who aren't like that put up with it before we throw in the towel and move on to something better?

Last edited by Tish Thompson; 05-28-2010 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 06:47 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I am sure there are nice, honest real estate agents out there who work hard and have their client's best interests at heart.

I just haven't met any.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:56 AM

Wow...that's exactly what I'm talking about. I'm in the business and I'm not seeing enough of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am sure there are nice, honest real estate agents out there who work hard and have their client's best interests at heart.

I just haven't met any.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:01 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Oddly enough, I see it all the time. In fact, the opposite is enough of a rarity for me to comment on it (and look up how long they've been in the business). Most of the agents I know are hardworking people who really like people and like helping them in spite of bad experiences with clients.

In the overall group of agents, and the overall group of clients, there are bad apples. The problem comes because people talk the most about the bad apples, and they get the most publicity, and so the perception is (for both groups - yep, clients, did you know you have a bad reputation, too, among those who listen to such things?) worse than the reality.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:09 AM

422 posts, read 1,475,722 times
i'm in the financial business and we get just as much sh*t as realtors or used car salespersons. but if you do things right and treat people/your clients with sincerity/honesty/professionalism....there'll always be some of them who'd really appreciate what you do. and with those people, you'd always get good referrals. so you just have to keep doing the right thing and slowly you'd see your efforts paying off in terms of repeat businesses/referrals.

but i'll have to warn you that it's usually a long process that takes years....so you just have to keep going and be emotionally/mentally strong to take all the sh*t. if you are serious about the business and always insist on doing the right things - meaning not tempted to earn some quick bucks at the expense of your clients' wellbeing....it'd be really helpful if you've other sources of income or some good savings to tide you through the initial slow part of building your business.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:00 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
I can say my experience was like THL's up until this past year. Since it is much harder to sell a house it is clear who is competent and who is not. I had an agent ask me to commit mortgage fraud on a deal a couple of months ago, and I'm currently in a transaction with a highly unprofessional agent who has been an agent for 42 years. I've gotten two buyer clients who fired their previous agents and are working with me.

I think the stress of the market is making it super clear who is professional and who merely looked that way before when it was easy to sell homes.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:07 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
I see plenty of good agents. Unfortunately, I also see plenty of bad ones.

I am pretty sure EVERY profession has bad and good people - doctors, lawyers, mechanics, Presidents of the US, etc. Why would real estate be different?

Ultimately, it is always up to the individual to pick a good person for whatever by asking for a referral, talking to the person, etc.

To the person above that mentioned that they have not met any good ones here in Texas, I assure you that you certainly haven't looked very hard. I see them all of the time - and I consider myself one.

Agree with Silverfall above - I have worked opposite some real doozies lately. Really makes me appreciate the good ones. I have had closings lately when I would prefer not to even meet the agent face to face (it's all phone and email prior anymore) - and other closings when it was a genuine pleasure to meet them, finally.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:12 AM

You're absolutely right. This is only my 5th year and the people I've helped buy or sell homes have definitely supported me. I'm just a little peeved because I hit a "crap patch" full of lousy agents. It baffles me how these people continue getting business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatturkey View Post
i'm in the financial business and we get just as much sh*t as realtors or used car salespersons. but if you do things right and treat people/your clients with sincerity/honesty/professionalism....there'll always be some of them who'd really appreciate what you do. and with those people, you'd always get good referrals. so you just have to keep doing the right thing and slowly you'd see your efforts paying off in terms of repeat businesses/referrals.

but i'll have to warn you that it's usually a long process that takes years....so you just have to keep going and be emotionally/mentally strong to take all the sh*t. if you are serious about the business and always insist on doing the right things - meaning not tempted to earn some quick bucks at the expense of your clients' wellbeing....it'd be really helpful if you've other sources of income or some good savings to tide you through the initial slow part of building your business.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:13 AM

I agree, there definitely are good agents in Texas. I've only been there 3 times, but I met some awesome agents that I'd refer to in a heartbeat if the opportunity arose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I see plenty of good agents. Unfortunately, I also see plenty of bad ones.

I am pretty sure EVERY profession has bad and good people - doctors, lawyers, mechanics, Presidents of the US, etc. Why would real estate be different?

Ultimately, it is always up to the individual to pick a good person for whatever by asking for a referral, talking to the person, etc.

To the person above that mentioned that they have not met any good ones here in Texas, I assure you that you certainly haven't looked very hard. I see them all of the time - and I consider myself one.

Agree with Silverfall above - I have worked opposite some real doozies lately. Really makes me appreciate the good ones. I have had closings lately when I would prefer not to even meet the agent face to face (it's all phone and email prior anymore) - and other closings when it was a genuine pleasure to meet them, finally.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:16 AM

Very true. I was kinda hoping that the stress of the market would weed the incompetents out much faster but they're hanging in there like roaches lol. I guess I should be a little more patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I can say my experience was like THL's up until this past year. Since it is much harder to sell a house it is clear who is competent and who is not. I had an agent ask me to commit mortgage fraud on a deal a couple of months ago, and I'm currently in a transaction with a highly unprofessional agent who has been an agent for 42 years. I've gotten two buyer clients who fired their previous agents and are working with me.

I think the stress of the market is making it super clear who is professional and who merely looked that way before when it was easy to sell homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Real Estate Professionals